Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be interested in this product if it were available?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 13 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 21 ]
Maybe
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 39

andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

All the Bay Window Bus owners out there. I started a new business last year, developing products for Air Cooled VW's. I have some dashboard related products for Bugs, Ghia's, and Split Window Buses already, but someone asked me about adapters for gauges for the Bay Window Buses.

That got me thinking, and I purchased some used parts, and did the research into what the differences were for all the '68 to '79 Bay Window Buses.

In any case, I have some 3D printed prototypes in the works to allow for custom gauges for the Bay Window Bus. I also have the matching glove box door, since the style will likely not include the pebbled finish of the stock panels. I have attached a picture of the 3D prints that hold the gauges, along with a matching glove box door. There will probably be some adjustments to these, as I am waiting on the gauges to ship, and test fit them in the panel.

Let me describe what I have done.

The gauge panel is basically the same as stock, but with the three gauge openings resized (larger), and reshaped to allow for one 4" center gauge, that would be a GPS Speedometer with 8k tach. The two side gauges will fit a 3 3/8" gauge each, and they would be dual function gauges. One with volts and fuel level and one with oil pressure and oil temperature. The center speedometer tachometer combination would have the turn signal indicators, and the bright light indicator in it. The two side gauges would have programmable warning lights for each of the gauges, so you don't lose the warning lights. The fuel gauge has a lot of presets for different Ohm readings from the sender, but I'm not sure what the Bay Window Bus Ohm range is on the fuel sender. In any case, the fuel gauge also has a custom programmable feature, and you can just operate the fuel sender by hand (of course has to be out of the tank) and you can program the fuel level accordingly.

There will also be an option for water temp in place of the oil temp, if you have done something like a Subaru engine swap, or any other engine swap (sacrilegious for some I know).

I have done custom artwork for the gauges to make them look like OEM gauges, although not exactly, since the speeedometer goes to 120, and of course has the tachometer with it. Having said that, they will look like they could have come from VW, only modern and giving you a complete set of gauges to monitor everything.

The gauge panel has the gauges in the exact same spots, so visibility will be just as good as with stock gauges. They will be recessed back like the stock gauges as well.

One thing to note, is the pictures of the prototype panels, show them in white, but that is just the color of the filament I used to print them. They won't be white in the production version.

See the pictures of the panels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would like to know if there is interest in this product idea. I have included a poll to make that easy, but all comments are welcome.

This product would be fairly expensive to put into production, so I don't want to go much beyond what I have already done without getting some good feedback.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by andrig's on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

Why so high on the rpm and mph? No matter what engine you have in a bus you won’t be going over 100mph, it’s just not safe and those that would are so minimal that I’m guessing it would be a one off.

What about the odometer or a trip counter?
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Why so high on the rpm and mph? No matter what engine you have in a bus you won’t be going over 100mph, it’s just not safe and those that would are so minimal that I’m guessing it would be a one off.

What about the odometer or a trip counter?

Well, the gauges are from Speedhut, and the the lowest option they have is 120 mph, and the lowest tachometer option they have is 8k.

So, I went with the lowest option they had. They don't support custom internals to change those options.

In terms of the odometer and trip counter, yes, the speedometer has both of those integrated. I believe the display can show other things as well, but those two are included.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

Your design doesn't have to go as high as the gauges…

N E G A T I V E

S P A C E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

i hand make these

next to volvo 240 owners (most) bay window owners are the cheapest pricks on the planet. i can 100% get behind your idea....because if your futzing with this i can almost bet how many hours you have into it and i would LOVE an off the shelf product so i didn't have to bury 3 days into making my cluster.

that said.... i would only offer these on a made to order basis. no way would i go thru the trouble to do this and only sell 1 a year....if you're lucky.

speedhut is good shit. way better than vdo, autometer etc. total underdogs in the gauge world and always have a line a mile long to get their stuff.

i like your idea. good luck!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

You hand made that? Did you also make the water temp gauge crooked?

Just kidding, I wish I had your big head. Just kidding, I wish I had your talent.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Just kidding, I wish I had your big head. Just kidding, I wish I had your talent.

temp gauge crooked so that 160F is exactly at 9 o'clock, so a real quick look tells you are at the sweet spot? trying to read a gauge at 80mph plus is not easy. or safe
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i hand make these

next to volvo 240 owners (most) bay window owners are the cheapest pricks on the planet. i can 100% get behind your idea....because if your futzing with this i can almost bet how many hours you have into it and i would LOVE an off the shelf product so i didn't have to bury 3 days into making my cluster.

that said.... i would only offer these on a made to order basis. no way would i go thru the trouble to do this and only sell 1 a year....if you're lucky.

speedhut is good shit. way better than vdo, autometer etc. total underdogs in the gauge world and always have a line a mile long to get their stuff.

i like your idea. good luck!

Yeah, I have seen a number of people cutting up the original panel to modify it. I have also seen some crazy aluminum panels put in the place that are flat, and don't have the curve, or just have the gauges sticking out of the front. I have also seen quite a few people just mounting gauges on top, to the side, in all kinds of weird places where they don't look good, or there is no visibility.

That's part of the reason I thought this might be a good idea, but to make this stuff only to sell none or one isn't something I can really do, like you said.

It's why I wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks for the "good luck" We will see what reaction I get in the poll.

Andrig
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

N E G A T I V E

S P A C E

What do you mean?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

yea...i mapped out the location to within a nanometer only to install the gauge crooked. dick Laughing

to the o/p

he's talking about the spacing between the numbers which isn't editable in speedhuts gauges.

besides, these guys only need a speedo that goes up to 38 mph. you'd have better luck catering to the crowd that wants CHT data for every cylinder, oil temp from 87 locations AFR data and how many times their lifters rotate per ignition cycle

EDIT

i think your efforts would be better served in the vanagon group. those clusters are brittle as fuck and fall apart if you look at them the wrong way.

for sure they are more complex but vanagon owners (although still cheap fucks) will dig deep for good products and clusters are a huge issue in them

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

he's talking about the spacing between the numbers which isn't editable in speedhuts gauges.

Okay, I got it.

Actually, I did change the tick marks and the way the numbers are on the gauges.

Of course the reason for going to 120 mph and 8k on the tach, is that is what their lowest end gauge combination is.

They won't let me change the internal electronics, that's for sure.

For all the buses that I have seen with high powered air cooled and water cooled engines in them, I have gotten two comments about the speedometer going to 120 and the tach going to 8k.

While I know these vehicles in stock trim don't go very fast. When I was a very little kid we owned a split window bus that had the 1200 cc 40 hp type 1 engine. It could only go 55, and that was on a flat surface with no wind and wide open throttle.

But, so many people modify these vehicles, and if you spend the money on a really nice engine and hopefully upgrade the suspension and brakes, but you still want a speedo that says 80 or 90 on it, that works with a cable to the front wheel, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And you only want idiot lights, instead of proper readings for the most important parts of your high powered engine?

Having built custom cars, I always wanted the best instrumentation for all the systems, since I spent so much money on all of it.

If you put custom wheels and tires, or change gear ratios in the transaxle because of your nice high performance engine, which so many do, your speedometer won't read right. The GPS speedometers don't care about any of that, and in my experience they read quite accurately. I have one in a '73 Beetle that I custom built, and in a '66 Karmann Ghia that I built.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

N E G A T I V E

S P A C E

I understand what you mean now. The gauges are from Speedhut, and while they let me customize a lot on the face, they don't let you just change how fast the speedometer will read, or how high the tachometer goes. Those are part of their internal electronics and cannot really be changed by me.

If I made my own gauges from scratch, that would be possible, but I'm not trying to get into the gauge business per se.

I just want to offer something of value, that gives people who customize Bay Window Buses a modern set of instruments that look good, work really well, and look like they belong without having to resort to cutting up and modifying the panels themselves, or putting gauges in weird spots where they either look weird, or aren't very visible.

This product is not for someone that has a stock Bay Window Bus, that's for sure.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

You might consider centering the voltmeter on 14 volts rather than 12.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
You might consider centering the voltmeter on 14 volts rather than 12.

I understand your point, but I can't really do that. The scale is dictated by the gauge internals, which I can't change.

Speedhut allows quite a bit of customization, which I took advantage of, but unfortunately I can change that.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

you need to demonstrate that the concept works and is highly reliable before anyone will consider it. We have enough trouble with tach needles bouncing (there are fixes), all the year variants of fuel gauges that are going bad and being way off when replaced, things like that. Until you can put one of your designs in YOUR bus, and maybe a couple friends, who can test it and show that it is reliable over 50,000 miles and 4 - 5 years, folks aren't going to go to the trouble of replacing things only to encounter even more problems and lack of support. Just my 2 cents worth.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you need to demonstrate that the concept works and is highly reliable before anyone will consider it. We have enough trouble with tach needles bouncing (there are fixes), all the year variants of fuel gauges that are going bad and being way off when replaced, things like that. Until you can put one of your designs in YOUR bus, and maybe a couple friends, who can test it and show that it is reliable over 50,000 miles and 4 - 5 years, folks aren't going to go to the trouble of replacing things only to encounter even more problems and lack of support. Just my 2 cents worth.

I understand the need to test things out. I have gauges coming, and I will certainly test them in a Bus.

Waiting four or five years probably isn't in the cards though. That seems to be a standard no one could make that is running a business. I'm not doing this on the side, this is my business.

Having said that, product development is not cheap either. So, I'm trying to gauge interest. If your interested, assuming all the testing is done, and I know everything works, which I have no doubts about, and there are enough people interested, than I will spend the time and money to fully develop the product, which of course will include testing.

I am confident in the gauges, as they are very well made, and I already have Speedhut gauges, and I already sell a gauge adapter for them for Split Window Buses. The adapter also works in the Karmann Ghia and Beetle, and I have a full dashboard product for Beetles.

I haven't encountered bouncing tach needles or any other weirdness to date.

I appreciate all feedback, that's for sure, but let's assume I do my job, and everything comes out great, in regards to testing. Would you be interested?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

andrig's wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I understand the need to test things out. I have gauges coming, and I will certainly test them in a Bus.

Waiting four or five years probably isn't in the cards though. That seems to be a standard no one could make that is running a business. I'm not doing this on the side, this is my business.

Having said that, product development is not cheap either. So, I'm trying to gauge interest. If your interested, assuming all the testing is done, and I know everything works, which I have no doubts about, and there are enough people interested, than I will spend the time and money to fully develop the product, which of course will include testing.

I am confident in the gauges, as they are very well made, and I already have Speedhut gauges, and I already sell a gauge adapter for them for Split Window Buses. The adapter also works in the Karmann Ghia and Beetle, and I have a full dashboard product for Beetles.

I appreciate all feedback, that's for sure, but let's assume I do my job, and everything comes out great, in regards to testing. Would you be interested?

Good luck. I would not touch such an involved system until you can prove to me it is good for 50,000 - 100,000 miles, AND ACCURATE.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
andrig's wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Good luck. I would not touch such an involved system until you can prove to me it is good for 50,000 - 100,000 miles, AND ACCURATE.

Okay, so you answered my question. You wouldn't be interested.

No company can wait through four or five years of reliability testing. The issue for this product would be the gauges themselves. I'm not making the gauges, Speedhut is doing that, and they should have already done their own reliability testing, and having used them myself, I know they work well and are reliable.

In terms of trusting this, it's whether you trust Speedhut to deliver a quality gauge product, and I think if you search around you will find lots of positive things said about their gauges.

So, again thanks for the feedback, every bit is welcome and helps me understand where the market might be for this.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

i would be interested in a cluster that has space on the far right for 3 or 4 of the small gauges like Skills used in his mod. I would like to keep my stock fuel gauge, and speedo, but the far right blank, or clock hole, is great space for a temp gauge or oil pressure, or volts, but you only get to choose one.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea for Bay Window Bus Product - Would like some feedback Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
i would be interested in a cluster that has space on the far right for 3 or 4 of the small gauges like Skills used in his mod. I would like to keep my stock fuel gauge, and speedo, but the far right blank, or clock hole, is great space for a temp gauge or oil pressure, or volts, but you only get to choose one.

Okay. I have a couple of original gauge clusters, and one of the issues with the size of the holes, is they don't match any size of a gauge you can buy today.

I actually designed an adapter for use in the blank space, which would have been an optional clock, but I don't think it will look very good. The largest modern gauge that will fit is 2 5/8". Most of the smaller gauges on the market are 2 1/16", which is even smaller. So, you end up with a gauge face that is pretty small for that opening, and the adapter would be seen through the opening as well. That's not too bad, but it certainly won't look like it was meant to be there.

So, besides an adapter, I could make an entire gauge cluster panel to fit the smaller gauge on the right with the stock gauges still there, but it would look awkward, because the gauge opening on the right would not be symmetric with the others.

The other oddity, is if you only put one gauge into the panel, either through the adapter, or reproducing the original cluster, but have one gauge opening that supports the other gauge type, you end up still with something that looks awkward, because the original gauges don't have bezels and the lens for the gauges is actually apart of the cluster, not the gauge. Any modern gauge you can buy has it's own bezel and own lens, so again you will have the one gauge on the right of the cluster that looks like it wasn't meant to be there.

Perhaps people don't care about the aesthetics, but I'm not sure I would produce a product where I wasn't happy with the aesthetics.

The adapter, would probably be the only thing I would consider, into the existing cluster, since that can be done quite inexpensively. I have done that kind of adapter for Beetles, Karmann Ghia's and Split Window Buses. Having said that, the gauges fit perfectly, and you can't see the adapter at all. With this, I would have to either paint or powder coat the adapter so it blended in. I guess I could add artwork for 2 5/8" gauges too. That wouldn't be too bad.

Something to think about and consider. Doesn't give you much choice of what you can add, but perhaps it might be worth it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: