Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replica cars now possible!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

This is a link to a Jalopnic article:
Jalopnik: Your Favorite Classic Cars Can Now Be Fully Produced Thanks To New NHTSA Regulation.
https://jalopnik.com/your-favorite-classic-cars-can-now-be-fully-produced-th-1846149378
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

This is actually great news for a lot of reasons. For me, it seems like it really opens the doors for the new owners of Meyers Manx to create a new turn key Manx with an electric drivetrain. Looking forward to that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

I wonder what this will do to collector car values over time , if for instance a brand new old busses become available.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

fear not, CARB will crush this before it even gets going

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

Evidently they would have to meet current emissions. So new old busses with a modern engine.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

I could see a company cranking out bus parts, selling them to other companies to build, and pretty soon there’s 100,000 new busses on the road. Maybe even the oem’s getting in on the action reproducing old vehicle parts. Could be the golden age for enthusiasts.
Unfortunately I’d probably have to wait 30 years until I could afford to buy a rusted out reproduced hulk
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

the term that they have 'to resemble' a car over 25 seems rather vague to me and could result in some awful replica designs...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

The other issue is going to copy right laws. Some manufacturers are already licensing cars and parts. Only time will tell.
Muftobration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I could see a company cranking out bus parts, selling them to other companies to build, and pretty soon there’s 100,000 new busses on the road. Maybe even the oem’s getting in on the action reproducing old vehicle parts. Could be the golden age for enthusiasts.
Unfortunately I’d probably have to wait 30 years until I could afford to buy a rusted out reproduced hulk

Manufacturers are limited to 5000 units per year, so it would take 20 years before 100,000 new busses could be produced. From the article:

Quote:
The new law allows kit cars and replicas to be produced so long as they resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years old. Manufacturers are limited to 5,000 vehicles a year to qualify as low volume.

kirk1015
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

I have this feeling VW will never let this happen. They are protective of the Beetle and the Bus for obvious reasons. Unless they build them themselves, which is slim to none. Besides, VW is trying to go green with the I.D. 3 and 4. They wouldn't want this to overshadow those models.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
The other issue is going to copy right laws. Some manufacturers are already licensing cars and parts. Only time will tell.
Volkswagen has a three dimensional trademark on their previously produced bodies. Anyone selling a complete new body can expect litigation, which they will lose. I would expect most other manufacturers have similar trademarks.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

There’s already a company building the bodies. They could build as many as they want just like they’re already doing.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

I imagine someone, somewhere, building 5,000 units a year, of vans powered by Subaru Gears flipped running gear.
2.5 liter, Subaru Powered 'syncro' type vans, fully decked out in GoWesty Catalog finery, with Burley Motor Sport underpinnings, T3 Technique wheels and bushings.....

Think of it, a Samba Built van! Perfect in every way!
Making use of the ENTIRE communities vendor products!

Hell, could even get the ball rolling by buying up all the old, unusable vans for the VIN numbers.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
typ914 wrote:
Volkswagen has a three dimensional trademark on their previously produced bodies. Anyone selling a complete new body can expect litigation, which they will lose. I would expect most other manufacturers have similar trademarks.

Individual parts (hoods, fenders, etc) are probably unrestricted, even if the overall body has some protection. It varies by country, but I think GB and USA both forbid manufacturers from prohibiting "patent parts".
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

Quote:
The completed replica vehicles also have to meet current emissions standards.

Current standards... not only does this rule out older/junkyard Subarus, etc., but it requires a manufacturer to keep up with regulations as they change each year. Here's a good example from the company that wants to build replica DeLoreans:

Quote:
...in 2015 our planned engine had a life-cycle of emissions compliance through 2022. We had hoped to get into production by 2017 and get 3-4 years out of it before having to take on the engineering for a new powertrain. It’s believed that this engine has been extended through perhaps 2024 now, but it doesn’t seem like a good idea to plan around an engine so near its end-of-life.

That said, with EV’s becoming more mainstream, we’ve been considering switching to an all-electric as the future. It certainly makes for an easier path through emissions maze which still looms large over any internal combustion engine.

https://www.newdelorean.com/blog/
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Lind wrote:
typ914 wrote:
Individual parts (hoods, fenders, etc) are probably unrestricted, even if the overall body has some protection. It varies by country, but I think GB and USA both forbid manufacturers from prohibiting "patent parts".
Patents expire, and all the patents for air cooled VWs have long since expired. Trademarks can be renewed forever. That is why they trademark the shape. All the pieces and parts are fine to sell, but a complete replica body or functional vehicle as a new or reproduction car is a violation of Volkswagen's trademark. They do look for these things, and they will shut it down. The companies that sell all the panels always display a incomplete body, which can be finished by the customer. Anyone can pretty much built a complete reproduction bus at this point, but they just can't sell reproduction Buses. Some might slip thorough the cracks, but there will be no company publicly selling reproduction VWs in the USA or the western world.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

So, what about:
Company buys old vans (like GoWesty does),
Uses old VIN Numbers to apply to a Replica Body, and part out/ dispose of said old van?
Would that senario cross any Red Lines?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
So, what about:
Company buys old vans (like GoWesty does),
Uses old VIN Numbers to apply to a Replica Body, and part out/ dispose of said old van?
Would that senario cross any Red Lines?

You would go to jail in my State.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

I mean, that's what happens with old model t cars and the like, right?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Replica cars now possible! Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I mean, that's what happens with old model t cars and the like, right?

A car constructed with a body-on-frame architecture will usually have a VIN on the chassis and a VIN on the body. I believe in some states the VIN on the chassis is all that matters, so you can swap the body with a better old one or with a new reproduction body. In other states that may not be legal. Newer cars that use a unibody architecture have no separate chassis, so it seems there would only be one VIN and so there would be no way to swap bodies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: