Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Syncro Suspension is Better than You May Think
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Stock Syncro Suspension is Better than You May Think Reply with quote

There is nothing like competition to prove the value and performance of components, modifications and new technology.

As anyone who has followed Grand Prix motocross knows, the changes in suspension design over the decades has been amazing. If you go back to the first Grand Prix in 1957 and compare the suspension then to what the factory bikes have today, the change is breathtaking. Indeed, the evolution from 1972 to 1976 alone - from vertical shocks to laid down shocks to mono-shocks - represents a huge leap in technology and performance.

There have likewise been a lot of changes in syncro suspension in recent years. I introduced new coil springs in 2000. That was a small step. Eric Abercrombie took things much further and introduced more or less production coil-over suspension in the front and external reservoir Bilsteins in the rear, with internally adjustable compression and rebound damping, and a wide variety of spring rates. [John Wessels was the first to do the coil-over set-up, but he did not bring it to full production level, as Eric did, and Eric also invented the rear pivoting spring perch.] The recent introduction of the Fox shocks made for syncros is a nice follow-up on John and Eric's initial breakthrough work.

I had the privilege of driving Eric's syncro the other day with his standard coil-overs. He has it dialed in nearly perfectly. The damping and spring rate are superb. What is remarkable is that his 6000 pound westy drives and handles as well as or better than an empty hardtop. And the ride is far superior to a hardtop.

However, the big news out of the competition at syncro de mayo this year was just how well the stock syncro suspension performs and stacks up against the most exotic set-ups available - at least on an empty hardtop.

As you may have heard, Brian Johnson won the Syncro Cup competition on a bone stock syncro. And Craig Forney very well may have beaten him, or come in second, had his rear locker not failed. These guys were up against syncros set up with .org springs, Eric's coil-overs, John Wessels's coil overs , Tom's coils overs (all bilsteins) and the Fox Shocks. Check out the videos to see for yourself just how well the stock suspension performs against the most cutting edge set-ups available.

I will start with Brian's run. Again, he took first place on a bone stock syncro - although he was not the fastest, he got a perfect score for not blowing any of the obstacles. Notice how well the stock suspension handles the rough stuff:

Link

Next is Craig. He suffered from lack of ground clearance and the loss of his locker at the end, but he is smooth and the stock suspension does a great job on his hard top:

Link

Now we will get into the modified set ups, starting with just after-market springs and moving to the more exotic setups from there. Here's Dale with a set of my old syncro.org springs, that are probably a little stiff for a hartop. Unfortunately, there is not footage of his entire run. But the toughest sections are covered:

Link

Here's John Wessels with the impressive coil-over design he made for syncromog way back in 2000. John had second fastest time. Again, only partial coverage:

Link

Here's Adam with Eric's coil-overs, although he did not have time to get them dialed in perfectly before the event. Only partial footage here as well:

Link

Here's Paul with the Fox Shocks. Paul is a very smooth driver and you can see that his suspension is definitely working great, although Paul did not take the tougher bonus section at the very end.

Link

Here's Tom, who is one of the top drivers, and who who runs a coil-over set-up he designed with softer than stock springs. He had fastest time but lost points for going outside the flags. Tom got a little sideways going up the final hill and ran into some trouble, so it is difficult to make the comparison on that section:

Link

And finally, here's Matt Quilter in the only full westy to enter the competition. He still took second overall, tying on points and missing 1st overall only by about 15 seconds. Unfortunately I do not know what his suspension set up is, but the video is instructive because you can see the effect of the added weight of a full westy.

Link

I am a suspension guy and I love the trick set-ups. But there's no denying that the stock syncro suspension with stock springs on a hard-top performs pretty well.

As for engine conversions, Tom's subaru had the fastest time. John's 2.4 ecotech (190 hp 2.4) had the second fastest time and Dale's 2.4 GW WBX had third fastest time. But driving skill has a lot to do with that and those three guys are among the top pros off road. Once thing noteworthy is that the 2.1 WBX's did fine and due to their lower power did not break traction where the more powerful conversions did going up the last hill. (But that's consolation not a feature!)

John discusses this problem at the awards ceremony here:

http://youtu.be/3U_8xOwCF8M?t=3m33s

Lastly, there's no denying that the stock springs, while they work really well on the hard tops and Dokas, are are just a little too soft and tend to bottom too easily on the westys. They also lack ideal height even on the hard-tops as the videos of Brian and Craig demonstrate on the last obstacle. But that's nothing a little shimming can't improve for only a few dollars.

Steve

Last edited by syncro.org on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, thanks for sharing! Smile
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Here's David Hines' Run, which I just uploaded after John Glover sent me the footage.

Like Adam. he is running Eric's set up, but his springs are stiffer than Adam's. They're closer to stock whereas Adam, like Tom, is running softer than stock, but their hard top vans are set up purely for off roading. Still, notice how David's front wheels do not leave the ground on the steep hill climb the way Tom's did. I will have to check to see if their valving is different. It looked like Tom's rebound damping might be a little too soft.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced just by looking at the Syncro movie advertisements from back then Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncro.org wrote:
Thanks!
Like Adam. he is running Eric's set up, but his springs are stiffer than Adam's. They're closer to stock whereas Adam, like Tom, is running softer than stock, but their hard top vans are set up purely for off roading. Still, notice how David's front wheels do not leave the ground on the steep hill climb the way Tom's did. I will have to check to see if their valving is different. It looked like Tom's rebound damping might be a little too soft.

My front coil over springs are actually softer than Tom and Adam's (i think 450 vs my 425's) but mine are a 14" spring instead of 12".
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncro.org wrote:
Thanks!

Here's David Hines' Run, which I just uploaded after John Glover sent me the footage.

I don't see how you can draw conclusions about suspension setup by those runs. Looks to me like the wheels didn't leave the ground because David was going half the speed! Wink You'd need a more similar approach to gain any meaningful insight.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

I don't see how you can draw conclusions about suspension setup by those runs. Looks to me like the wheels didn't leave the ground because David was going half the speed! Wink You'd need a more similar approach to gain any meaningful insight.

Jake, didn't you look at girly magazines when you were a kid? Smile Now it can't compare to the real thing, but it gives you some idea of what is going on and what to expect in the real world. And it sure beats the alternative.

When I first got my syncro, there was no internet. So while I agree that watching the youtubes is no substitute for being at the event or driving the vans, it is way better than just reading text or hearing about it from someone. And when you also have the benefit of info via text to help illuminate what is going on, I think it is meaningful, and better than not seeing them.

But I also disagree with you, somewhat. I do see differences. But more importantly, on some obstacles, there was not a significant difference. And that was the point I was trying to make. While I am sure the more expensive suspension feels better, handles some obstacles better and is capable of withstanding more, the sock vans stacked up pretty well in tackling the major obstacles. You can see it working well. I was impressed both at the event and in watching the videos.

So I understand your point, and you are correct in a hyper-literal sense, but I still think it's of some value to people to check them out.

I will find out whether David and Tom have different rebound damping. They do have different spring rates. Even though Tom was going faster (although David did gas it right before the hill), I was still surprised to see his front end get that high off the ground. I think better damping could have lessened that.

David: From the info I have, Tom and Adam have softer rates than your 425s, in addition to shorter springs. I will let them disclose the rates. Some racers like to keep that sort of info secret! Razz
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that news because my upgrade budget is less than you might think Crying or Very sad
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to clarify that the front coil over setup that I now have and ran at this year's SdM is an update from what I previously had. I have updated the type of Bilstein's that I use over the years. This newest version I am using a 5" diameter spring that is 13" tall. With this spring I get more up travel without the coil bind that the 2.5" springs will give when going to a softer spring rate. I am also now using a 5100 series shock in the front with a 450lb spring. For me when going faster speeds the 400lb springs were bottoming out too much. With two people up front and camping gear I think a 425lb spring would have been too soft when driving at speed, especially out in the desert. For slow rock crawling the 400lb spring worked great. May sound exotic but far less expensive than the Fox shocks and no issues with the axles rubbing the shock body. The bump stop height is correct so that my upper control arms don't bash the boxes under the front seats. It is also about 6lbs lighter each side than the Trailmaster shock/spring kit on the front. It is the best setup I have driven so far.

On the rear I am still using what I installed back in 2001. Custom wound 14" tall 350lb springs. Bilsteins are great but they don't make the length of travel shock that works best in my application. So I use Doetsch Tech Pre runner shocks in the rear. Even after 11 years they still work great and are 2/3rds the cost of Bilstein's.

The suspension kits I offer now use the Doetsch Tech shocks in the rear. They use a huge 46mm piston that control the rear weight of the Syncro well. They have an off set bottom mount so the large diameter bodies will clear the stock trailing arms without having to modify the mounts on them. For the current kit rear springs I am now using a 5" diameter with a pivoting bottom perch. This design is completely different than what Eric A. has been offering. I have one of these complete systems installed on a tin top Syncro and so far the owner thinks it rides great.
NZer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven done any off roading in my Westie but this thread isnt really a big surprise from what I have experienced. My Vanagon rides down the better than most vehicles Ive been in and its 24 years old. Loves driving down cobbled streets as rough as they are! I always look for the rough road because of the way she rides!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euromog wrote:
I just want to clarify that the front coil over setup that I now have and ran at this year's SdM is an update from what I previously had. I have updated the type of Bilstein's that I use over the years. This newest version I am using a 5" diameter spring that is 13" tall. With this spring I get more up travel without the coil bind that the 2.5" springs will give when going to a softer spring rate. I am also now using a 5100 series shock in the front with a 450lb spring. For me when going faster speeds the 400lb springs were bottoming out too much. With two people up front and camping gear I think a 425lb spring would have been too soft when driving at speed, especially out in the desert. For slow rock crawling the 400lb spring worked great. May sound exotic but far less expensive than the Fox shocks and no issues with the axles rubbing the shock body. The bump stop height is correct so that my upper control arms don't bash the boxes under the front seats. It is also about 6lbs lighter each side than the Trailmaster shock/spring kit on the front. It is the best setup I have driven so far.

On the rear I am still using what I installed back in 2001. Custom wound 14" tall 350lb springs. Bilsteins are great but they don't make the length of travel shock that works best in my application. So I use Doetsch Tech Pre runner shocks in the rear. Even after 11 years they still work great and are 2/3rds the cost of Bilstein's.

The suspension kits I offer now use the Doetsch Tech shocks in the rear. They use a huge 46mm piston that control the rear weight of the Syncro well. They have an off set bottom mount so the large diameter bodies will clear the stock trailing arms without having to modify the mounts on them. For the current kit rear springs I am now using a 5" diameter with a pivoting bottom perch. This design is completely different than what Eric A. has been offering. I have one of these complete systems installed on a tin top Syncro and so far the owner thinks it rides great.

Any pics?
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
euromog wrote:

Any pics?

Nope, camera is broken.
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked to Tom, Adam, John and Dave about their set-ups. And my guesses were 100% correct in terms of who had stiffer damping and spring rates relative to each other based entirely on watching the youtubes.

I did not venture a guess as to what the exact spec was, just who had stiffer/softer relative to the others. I have to attribute some of that to my years of doing testing on MX bikes and having watched the videos numerous times. But it does speak to the value of the videos. During the actual competition it is much harder to remember everything to make the comparison across the board. This is why (per Professor Bailey) it is common for racing teams to study films.

I am jumping in my syncro and heading down to santa cruz now so I can mount my new softer syncro springs tomorrow that finally just arrived from the factory on Friday. Fingers crossed.

I am hoping Tom and Adam will chime in to clarify on damping and spring rates. All four have different damping and three different spring rates. And Paul had the Fox Shocks to make it five different set ups. Hence the value of getting them all together on the same course at once. What fun!

Steve
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncro.org wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Jake, didn't you look at girly magazines when you were a kid? Smile Now it can't compare to the real thing, but it gives you some idea of what is going on and what to expect in the real world. And it sure beats the alternative.

When I first got my syncro, there was no internet. So while I agree that watching the youtubes is no substitute for being at the event or driving the vans, it is way better than just reading text or hearing about it from someone. And when you also have the benefit of info via text to help illuminate what is going on, I think it is meaningful, and better than not seeing them.

But I also disagree with you, somewhat. I do see differences. But more importantly, on some obstacles, there was not a significant difference. And that was the point I was trying to make. While I am sure the more expensive suspension feels better, handles some obstacles better and is capable of withstanding more, the sock vans stacked up pretty well in tackling the major obstacles. You can see it working well. I was impressed both at the event and in watching the videos.

So I understand your point, and you are correct in a hyper-literal sense, but I still think it's of some value to people to check them out.

I will find out whether David and Tom have different rebound damping. They do have different spring rates. Even though Tom was going faster (although David did gas it right before the hill), I was still surprised to see his front end get that high off the ground. I think better damping could have lessened that.

David: From the info I have, Tom and Adam have softer rates than your 425s, in addition to shorter springs. I will let them disclose the rates. Some racers like to keep that sort of info secret! Razz

Hey, I enjoyed watching the videos and drew some conclusions myself! Wink

I was pretty much just addressing the guy driving half the speed of the others. You can't say "Oh, his suspension is better, his wheels stayed on the ground" unless both vans are going approximately the same speed. Dig?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you were able to see some differences in the videos. It's fun to be able to make some distinctions and comparisons even if the variables may not be all that precise. At least they are on the same terrain.

I agree that speed is a big factor and valving may not have played a role, but i did take the different speeds into account. I also considered that Tom has softer springs than David. Without seeing the obstacle up close it, it seemed possible that Tom's valving may be off a tad, and allowing more wheel hop than necessary, and could possibly be fine-tuned to get rid of some of it.

In talking to Tom, i found out that he and David do indeed have different valving (and springs). I haven't yet been able to nail down whether the valving difference could account for any of the difference in how the two vans handled that obstacle. I also found out that Adam's valving was softer than both of theirs, and too soft in Adam's opinion. He was testing the shocks for the first time. The springs were the same as Tom's. The speed differential is big, though.

So, if you take into account the two vans that ran stock springs and Dale's van with just older syncro.org springs (and OMEs I believe), the videos show 7 different suspension set-ups, 5 different coil-over set-ups.

And FWIW, here's a photo from early this morning of two syncro.org test vehicles on hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz, California testing the final prototypes of the new syncro springs that arrived on Friday. So far, so good! In that photo, ride height is 19" on the westy and about 20" on the hardtop. The springs are not fully seated yet, having less than 100 miles on them in this photo.

14" wheels on both vans. They will be tested on 15" and 16" wheels by the end of the 4th of July holiday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Update:

Some other pics from the grueling install and testing:

Too tall? - but not fully seated yet.

This rear spring will permit full suspension travel.

Steve
jakebayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: New Springs... Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the soft springs being available & giving me a teensy bit more tire space! Is there a list I can get myself added to?
~jake

syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, i'm going to start a separate thread on hartop syncro springs to get some input on height and stiffness preferences. I think this is now wandering too far off the original topic of this thread into something new.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Syncro Suspension is Better than You May Think Reply with quote

syncro.org wrote:
Here's Tom, who is one of the top drivers, and who who runs a coil-over set-up he designed with softer than stock springs. He had fastest time but lost points for going outside the flags. Tom got a little sideways going up the final hill and ran into some trouble, so it is difficult to make the comparison on that section:

Link

It's friday night and I feel like that run up the hill at the end of this video is 8+ years overdue for a bump. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: