Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

June '68 Manx Period Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Wow, where do I start.

Two years ago I built this New Classic kit. It was incredible journey. If you haven't built a new kit, I would highly recommend it. There is something so satisfying when you drill into a pure, uncut body, that is hard to explain. It is a blank canvas.

After it was finished, I had a flurry of interest, and then life happened and I decided to sell. I was offered quite a bit more than I thought it was worth and away it went. Well come to find out, the buyer who talked a big game about keeping it forever, had other plans. He saw dollar signs. Most of you probably saw this: 1966 Meyers Manx Re-Creation. Within a short period he had it on BaT looking for big money. He did a great job with the photos but the listing was very confusing, and in the end it only went for about what he bought it for. Not sure where it ended up.

Anyway, fast forward to now. I want another Manx to build. I had planned on buying a member’s square tail but with the COVID shutdowns this winter, my funds dried up. Ugh. Then this this beauty landed in my lap. It was in the backwoods of Florida, one owner and for a really really great price! Soon it was on its way here. Now I have bought dozens of VWs from afar, and you never really know exactly what they need until they arrive. With the price so low, my expectations were very low as well. But this one surprised me. The body is great. Really no issues, aside from one crack on the front. The pan is great. It runs, drives, etc.

So what are my plans? I am going for a period correct restoration on this one. I want to do it right. Without further ado, here is my June ’68 tagged Manx project!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by calebmelvin on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:43 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

Great find, how many layers of paint is the metalflake under?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

Very cool. Good luck with you're build.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Great find, how many layers of paint is the metalflake under?

It looks like one layer. Not too bad!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

Sweet! Are you planning to remove the 'helper' springs in front?

What year pan is it on?

Rob
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

manxbuggy wrote:
Sweet! Are you planning to remove the 'helper' springs in front?

What year pan is it on?

Rob

It is sitting on the original '65 pan from constuction in ‘68. I am going to do it correct when it was built, so 40hp to match the pan. Might spice it up a bit though. Razz

Last edited by calebmelvin on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

Looks like a heck of a start, Caleb! If your previous Manx was any indicator, I'm sure this will turn out excellent!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

Started taking it down this week. Removed the windshield, roll bar, etc. Found out the hood was held on with zero screws! Shocked Hoping to get it stripped down soon!

Interestingly I found that the dash is actually an original dash frame that had been skinned in sheet metal. It was pretty well done!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
Found out the hood was held on with zero screws! Shocked

No screws to hold the hood on except the ones into the side of the dash frame? Nothing in front? I can see there were none into the fender flange. Just the weight/inertia of the windshield would tend to break the fiberglass at the dash after a short while.

Those dash frame bolt through the side of the body sure look dangerous! I would be inclined to replace them with carriage bolts or button head Allen bolts turned around to point outward instead of inward to tear your leg.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

It looks like one layer. Not too bad!

Wow, why would someone cover that up, can't wait to see what's revealed under that paint!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:

Wow, why would someone cover that up, can't wait to see what's revealed under that paint!

From the areas I can see it looks pretty shot under there unfortunately. I am debating on the color. I may do Tangerine Red. I am not a huge fan of Golden Orange and if I am going to be spending big money on the paint or gel coat, I might as well be what I like.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

Brilliant Golden Orange looks good.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Brilliant Golden Orange looks good.

It is one of the better flake colors, I'll give you that! But I think I am more of a solid guy for some reason. Cool Maybe because my very first buggy was red I am drawn to it.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

I was wondering where that buggy went. Glad you got it, it will definitely get a new lease on life. Would be interesting to see if the og gel coat Is savable even with the damage. You might fall in love with that old school golden orange, BaT sure does. The new brilliant golden orange is cool but the og golden orange is awesome and period correct.

I love my brilliant golden orange New classic manx #94 ( got it last year when bruce turned 94, how cool is that.) But wish they had the og golden orange color. I have read that meadowbrook doesn't even make that style of flake any more Sad
Anyways its your buggy and your vision, make it happen. I know it will be a knockout, just like your last one.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Had a little time today and got quite a bit done. Body is totally stripped down and motor is off to the builder. Next up is removing the transmission and beam and starting on the pan!

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Some parts fell off today. Very Happy

Finally able to start working on the pan soon! Its coming along!

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Cool.

And wow that is an old trans.....pre 61 split case.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
Cool.

And wow that is an old trans.....pre 61 split case.

I know! The nose cone was toast too. Putting a proper one back in though...no more split case.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration Reply with quote

Off to the body shop today!

eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Golden Orange Manx Restoration Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
manxvair wrote:

From the areas I can see it looks pretty shot under there unfortunately. I am debating on the color. I may do Tangerine Red. I am not a huge fan of Golden Orange and if I am going to be spending big money on the paint or gel coat, I might as well be what I like.

I always feel it distracts from the originality when a vehicle is restored to anything but the color specified on the VIN. Especially when the VIN tag is as easy to decode as a Meyers Manx buggy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: