Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

003 auto trans reseal
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

My auto trans was performing well when the 412 went into storage about 20 years ago. I am now at the point where I have cleaned and degreased the entire housing outside. Looks so pretty now! Just want to do a basic resealing with splitting the trans from the diff. I see Rock Auto has rebuild kits from Pioneer. Is this what I should use or are there better kits?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

Looks like I answered my own question just now. Found some old threads that spoke of the rebuild kits from Pioneer. That’s what I’ll use if no one has other ideas.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

Yes, there are some GREAT threads about DIY auto trans rebuilding! Note sure if they are in the Type 3 or 4 forums, though.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

The good news is that I will only have to do a basic reseal of the trans and differential. The old fluid was spotless and had no burning smell. The differential was actually replaced in the late ‘80s when it exploded...cracked the housing and I was lucky enough at that time to find another used diff. I will be replacing the halfshaft seals without taking the diff apart. Before I screw things up wanna know if the halfshaft bolts are right or left handed? I tried without using an impact wrench but could not get them loose. Just stopping at this point and asking.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
The good news is that I will only have to do a basic reseal of the trans and differential. The old fluid was spotless and had no burning smell. The differential was actually replaced in the late ‘80s when it exploded...cracked the housing and I was lucky enough at that time to find another used diff. I will be replacing the halfshaft seals without taking the diff apart. Before I screw things up wanna know if the halfshaft bolts are right or left handed? I tried without using an impact wrench but could not get them loose. Just stopping at this point and asking.

Bill

So.....back in the day.....did you ever find out what destroyed the original differential? Wink

That description of yours...."exploded and cracked the diff housing"......is telltale.

I destroyed two differential units across three transmissions in my first 411. I just did not know.
Even the mechanic I was taking the car to while i was learning from about 1978 to 1980....and he was an excellent mechanic......could not tell me why it died. Only that a lot of them died this way.

Keeping in mind that these transmissions have a cast steel differential carrier inside of the transmission.....so it usually has to be pretty violent.

It was the seal between ATF and final drive that failed. When it fails and heavily dilutes the hypoid oil with ATF.....and runs that way for a while and you are driving the car under load.....highway speeds and hot weather ......it wears the ring and pinion badly.

The usual problem is that a tooth snaps off of either the ring or pinion.....at,speed....locking the diff instantly. .....BANG......the entire differential unit.....which is,cast steel......tries to ROTATE. It usually cracks the outer aluminum diff housing at one or both output shaft seal holes and inside the bell housing.

Yep....change your seals....7 years or 70k miles. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

Never did understand why that happened. Had an independant VW/Porsche mechanic replace the diff back then. Yep, it did exactly how you described it... very violent and sudden! You could see the protruding damage from the outside. Sooo Ray, do you know if those half shaft bolts are right or left handed? So far I only tried with a hand wrench but got nowhere. Holding off on the impact until I know for sure.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Never did understand why that happened. Had an independant VW/Porsche mechanic replace the diff back then. Yep, it did exactly how you described it... very violent and sudden! You could see the protruding damage from the outside. Sooo Ray, do you know if those half shaft bolts are right or left handed? So far I only tried with a hand wrench but got nowhere. Holding off on the impact until I know for sure.

Bill

These are the early ones with the long allen key bolt that goes through the stub axle hub to hold t to the spider gears right?

I have a couple I can look at in somewhere in my storage unit but I believe they are standard right hand thread. It might take me until late Saturday to find one.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 003 auto trans reseal Reply with quote

Ray,

Yes, the long allen bolts...that is correct.

Thanks,
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: