Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

looks like an exciting project! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
looks like an exciting project! Cool

Agree. I was going to backburner it but it’s too cool to not get done pronto.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Spent some time yesterday inspecting and sorting parts. Looks like all the 62 specific stuff and hard to find bits are there like the washer bottle and bracket, master cylinder reserve, dome light with screw on terminals.

Has an odd turn signal switch. It has a button on the stalk like a 66 yet one of the wires was clipped and the other went to ground. I have the floor mounted dimmer. Not sure what this was for. My 63 has a normal switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Exnermobiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

That’s an interesting find!

Just for your information - I own a Ghia coupe that was delivered on May 1962 to Sweden. It bears amongst other things the following original equipment:

-bumpers with towel bars (I have understood that those support brackets behind the apron had become standard installation by the early 60’s - correct me if I’m wrong.)
-red taillights
-yellow forward turn indicators
-high beam flasher button on the turn signal switch (with relay 141 941 581 A)
-seat belts without lap belt (Swedish Klippan – probably installed by dealer?)
-Sperrwolf gearshift lock

1962 was the last model year equipped with aluminum cast bumper guards. Quick check on the backside of your guards might tell if they are the original ones.

Interestingly, I am planning to install Neiman steering lock – just like the one on your Ghia. Actually, this is the first time I see another Ghia equipped with Neiman steering lock. I guess these were not originally intended for Ghias? I’ve never been fond of the odd looks of Sperrwolf…

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Exnermobiles wrote:
That’s an interesting find!

Just for your information - I own a Ghia coupe that was delivered on May 1962 to Sweden. It bears amongst other things the following original equipment:

-bumpers with towel bars (I have understood that those support brackets behind the apron had become standard installation by the early 60’s - correct me if I’m wrong.)
-red taillights
-yellow forward turn indicators
-high beam flasher button on the turn signal switch (with relay 141 941 581 A)
-seat belts without lap belt (Swedish Klippan – probably installed by dealer?)
-Sperrwolf gearshift lock

1962 was the last model year equipped with aluminum cast bumper guards. Quick check on the backside of your guards might tell if they are the original ones.

Interestingly, I am planning to install Neiman steering lock – just like the one on your Ghia. Actually, this is the first time I see another Ghia equipped with Neiman steering lock. I guess these were not originally intended for Ghias? I’ve never been fond of the odd looks of Sperrwolf…

I have all four aluminum cast guards, so they must be original to the car.
Might seat belts are also shoulder only. They are two different types. One is Wolfsburg crest logos and bolts in, the other has no logo and attaches with a swivel connected to a large round threaded plug.
Mine also has red tail lights. I always thought European delivery had the amber/red lenses but I guess not.
The flasher makes sense. The PO, who is ver pay knowledgeable told me it is for the flasher one uses in Germany to tell the slow pokes to move over so you can pass.
Interesting about the Neiman lock being so unique. I know split buses sold in Europe often had them, I always assumed they were a standard feature in Euro delivery Ghias, so yet another accessory ordered by the original buyer!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Shifting cars around today so I got the 73 convertible out of the garage and into the light. Meanwhile I moved the 62 sunroof ghia into the garage so I can start on it. I was planning on waiting but the body is continuing to deteriorate being outside so waiting just creates more work.
It’s a very unique car, loaded with period accessories on top of being a German delivery car with some unique features.
Today I removed the tracks for the sunroof assembly and hit the heavy rust with 50 grit on a disc and then 80 grit DAd the rest in prep for bodywork.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Jeez, and I can’t even get one of these up to snuff!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Jeez, and I can’t even get one of these up to snuff!

I’m a restless retired guy. Just you wait.

Anyway, update!
I took the DA to the rust patches and red oxide primer to see what was under that and discovered some pretty shoddy repairs. Old Skool brass work, using I don’t know what for donor metal. In most cases the patches are pretty beat up pieces. Lots of filler as you can see. Worst places were the usual lower rear fenders, some on the left rocker by the torsion cover plate. I’ll have to cut it all out and weld in proper repair panels.
The worst part though is the heavy pitted rust. I’ll have to sand blast out the pits, a messy ass job...
I’ll likely hit the front fenders and nose this weekend with the DA and see what I see.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Bad discoveries but this rare ghia landed in the right hands Cool

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Very cool and special car.

Has the birth certificate come back yet?

I have a kind of similar car, and I have the luxury of knowing how it was ordered, since it came with the bill of sale. Mine is a '61, and it was ordered to the Killian dealership in Wiesbaden by an officer in the US army. He ordered it to USA specs, but delivered to Germany. This was common for US servicemen. Similar to tourist delivery, just that they were already there, and the military would ship the car home for them. I can email you a pic of the bill of sale if you like.

Of course all sunroof Ghias are coachbuilt, just a different coachbuilder than Karmann. Since Golde made kits for coachbuilder installation, any year car could receive any style of sunroof depending on when it was installed. There are at least four types of Golde sunroofs for Ghias. I have seen a '61 steel sunroof car that had the early style mechanism like would be seen on a 356A or a '50s Mercedes. I have also seen a '68 with the winding mechanism, and a different handle than you would see on a VW bug or bus factory sunroof from '68. My '61 is a cloth sunroof, with a grooved handle like a pre-'56 bug or pre-'64 bus.

My car also has the hella 128 foglights. Those were a common accessory in Germany at that time. I think that anyone who was special ordering a Ghia was likely to load it up with some other fun options and accessories. They went to town on my car.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Very cool and special car.

Has the birth certificate come back yet?

I have a kind of similar car, and I have the luxury of knowing how it was ordered, since it came with the bill of sale. Mine is a '61, and it was ordered to the Killian dealership in Wiesbaden by an officer in the US army. He ordered it to USA specs, but delivered to Germany. This was common for US servicemen. Similar to tourist delivery, just that they were already there, and the military would ship the car home for them. I can email you a pic of the bill of sale if you like.

Of course all sunroof Ghias are coachbuilt, just a different coachbuilder than Karmann. Since Golde made kits for coachbuilder installation, any year car could receive any style of sunroof depending on when it was installed. There are at least four types of Golde sunroofs for Ghias. I have seen a '61 steel sunroof car that had the early style mechanism like would be seen on a 356A or a '50s Mercedes. I have also seen a '68 with the winding mechanism, and a different handle than you would see on a VW bug or bus factory sunroof from '68. My '61 is a cloth sunroof, with a grooved handle like a pre-'56 bug or pre-'64 bus.

My car also has the hella 128 foglights. Those were a common accessory in Germany at that time. I think that anyone who was special ordering a Ghia was likely to load it up with some other fun options and accessories. They went to town on my car.

I heard you had one too, but I didn’t know yours was a cloth sunroof.
I haven’t gotten the north certificate yet.
I’m curious, did yours come with cloth insert seats? KPH Speedo? Button on turn signal switch for dimmer? Red taillights or red/yellow? Amber or white front lenses? Steering column lock? I still don’t know if mine was outfitted for US export or was a German delivery car brought over later. All I have are clues. So far the only US spec thing on it aside from the bumpers which apparently you could order Euro delivery car, is the MPH speedo but it’s got a ‘63 date stamp suggesting it was installed later of course.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I’m curious, did yours come with cloth insert seats? KPH Speedo? Button on turn signal switch for dimmer? Red taillights or red/yellow? Amber or white front lenses? Steering column lock? I still don’t know if mine was outfitted for US export or was a German delivery car brought over later. All I have are clues. So far the only US spec thing on it aside from the bumpers which apparently you could order Euro delivery car, is the MPH speedo but it’s got a ‘63 date stamp suggesting it was installed later of course.
Mine came with cloth inserts, but I think it is just normal '61 upholstery.
No dimmer button.
MPH speedo, red taillights, white front lenses.
No steering lock.
It came with loads of other German accessories, including a temp gauge in celsius.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Mine came with cloth inserts, but I think it is just normal '61 upholstery.
No dimmer button.
MPH speedo, red taillights, white front lenses.
No steering lock.
It came with loads of other German accessories, including a temp gauge in celsius.

Sounds cool.
I’ve yet to see a US delivery, unless a lowlight, with cloth inserts. I think it was only available in Europe.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Spent some time yesterday inspecting and sorting parts.

Has an odd turn signal switch. It has a button on the stalk like a 66 yet one of the wires was clipped and the other went to ground. I have the floor mounted dimmer. Not sure what this was for. My 63 has a normal switch.

Looks like one of these accessory dealer installed headlight flasher switches...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Here is the technical bulletin.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e10.php

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

I wondered if it was a standard item or accessory. Thanks for the info Lind. Man, whoever bought this beast went down the accessory list and checked everything it seems. When they brought it back to the states they had the dealer install AC, too bad it was missing by time I got the car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I wondered if it was a standard item or accessory. Thanks for the info Lind. Man, whoever bought this beast went down the accessory list and checked everything it seems. When they brought it back to the states they had the dealer install AC, too bad it was missing by time I got the car.

Very impressive find! Hopefully the BC sheds some light on some of the mysteries. I have a '65 Type 1 that is an odd "hybrid" of European and US-spec equipment, including reserve lever and fuel gauge and Windsor cloth inserts. It had AC installed by the dealer and I have the receipt for that. All the AC components are still in the car and the system has not been breached. Your car is going to be a real beauty when finished!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

I finished my 70 convertible Ghia, so time to start chipping away at this thing.
I already cut out the lower rear left fender and reconstructed the rotten bits of the inside structure before chopping and shaping the crappy incorrect aftermarket panel. Now I’m moving on to the rocker and lower front which once I removed the brazed on overlapping panels revealed a lot of nasty rust behind the lower front fender.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

This one is going to keep you busy Very Happy

Looking forward to the Updates!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Spent several days after removing roached and poorly patched metal cleaning up the areas and making patches to repair the outer lower heater channel. I went this route vs full replace because I thinks it’s actually structurally stronger, the repro metal is of such poor quality I want to use as little as possible and my inner heater channel is rock solid.
After patching I painted the area with anticorrosion paint and then welded the big long outer rocker repair panel in. I decided to cut the top of the heater channel and then used a flanging tool to create a depressed area to lap weld the donor into vs replacing the whole top as the metal for the donor is thin.
I then trimmed the lower fender and butt welded it it.
On to the lower front fender next…

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: