Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Ghia Convertible Restoration
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Hi - I'm doing body off restoration of 73 Ghia. I'm in process of replacing the pans and have them fitted, but the jack points off of old pan are really bad. I've tried most suppliers and CI is only one that seems to carry part but they are not available until the end of the month. Can anyone suggest another source? I'm not too keen on used as the ones I have looked at are worse than mine. Thanks in advance for your reading my request.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Have you checked the Samba classifieds?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ack+points

Also check anyone "parting out" a ghia.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for the response and I did check classified first, but I would prefer new if available.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

try Germany

https://www.wagner-blechteile.de/produkte.html

google translate...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=...dukte.html

He has them for 50 Euro.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone who responded. After calling all around the country (and Europe), I did find a pair at SoCal Imports for a very reasonable price. I looked at multiple used parts and they were as bad as my current rusted out ones. I also found out that CIP1 is due to receive a new shipment of parts including jack points near the middle of the month.
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

I thought I might share my progress with our Ghia. So far we have split the body from from the pan, built a couple of rotisseries for both the body and the wishbone, build engine stand yoke and removed and mounted engine on stand, cut out the rotted pans, fitted new ones with temp cleco clamps, secured a rear quarter panel from GREAT guy in SF and lots of other small stuff. Right now, we are fabricating new jack points for the pans as the ones I got from SoCal were not at all like the ones on the vehicle and they seem to be impossible to find except uses which look almost as bad as my originals. I've included a few pictures below and would as always appreciate the keen eyes and expertise of the Samba crowd if you have suggestions or comments.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Nice project. You have plenty of work ahead of you. Looking forward to following your progress. Any pictures of what it looked like before the work started?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

I don't have any good ones of the original shape but this gives a good idea where we are starting from. This is removal of body from the pan with the Ghia body removal attachment.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Wow! Lots of fun ahead for sure. Do you have a patent pending on the "Ghia Body Removal Tool"? Cool
Welcome to TheSamba. You will get lots of encouragement from this community.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Yeah, where do I get one of those Body Removal Tools??? I think I can find a lot of use for that!!

Look forward to watching your postings and progress!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
m j moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

It sure does look similar right down to the rust
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

I haven't often seen this much rust above the rear wheel like this one has. It sort of looks like it could have been a Vermont car. We use ridiculous amounts of road salt here.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I haven't often seen this much rust above the rear wheel like this one has. It sort of looks like it could have been a Vermont car. We use ridiculous amounts of road salt here.

where i live here in NJ they use a ton of road salt too and we have the extra joy of living near the salt air of the ocean. I have seen so many VW's parked on the side of houses go from a project to 10 years later being swiss cheese.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

I have a question for those that have done body off restorations on a ghia. What are your thoughts about cracking into the tunnel on the wishbone to replace the fuel line and inspect other items contained there? How difficult is the process? If I proceed with the process, can someone point me to some topics where this has been discussed?

Thanks,

Ron
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

flobar00 wrote:
I have a question for those that have done body off restorations on a ghia. What are your thoughts about cracking into the tunnel on the wishbone to replace the fuel line and inspect other items contained there? How difficult is the process? If I proceed with the process, can someone point me to some topics where this has been discussed?

Thanks,

Ron

I’ve never done it, that some major surgery. I suppose if your conduits are rotten you have no choice, but there are easier ways to check condition. You can see most of it through the various opening in the tunnel like through the shifter, Ebrake, etc holes.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
flobar00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Have you ever replaced a fuel line just through the inspection holes? Is that possible?

Thanks.

Ron
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

flobar00 wrote:
Have you ever replaced a fuel line just through the inspection holes? Is that possible?

Thanks.

Ron

I'm sure some will have done that. However, when I had to make the decision I opted for taking a new fuel line back along the tunnel (inside the car) on the opposite side as the rear brake lines. It's secure and I think, safer than experiencing an undetected fuel leak INSIDE the tunnel. (I could so easily have burnt my whole house down.)

You're at the beginning of a journey those of us who have completed ours would like to take with you: We are suffering from withdrawal symptoms. So please keep up the work and the posts.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

flobar00 wrote:

Thanks.

Ron

I'm sure some will have done that. However, when I had to make the decision I opted for taking a new fuel line back along the tunnel (inside the car) on the opposite side as the rear brake lines. It's secure and I think, safer than experiencing an undetected fuel leak INSIDE the tunnel. (I could so easily have burnt my whole house down.)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
flobar00 wrote:

Thanks.

Ron

That was the recommended factory replacement procedure.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Ghia Convertible Restoration Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
flobar00 wrote:

Thanks.

Ron

That was the recommended factory replacement procedure.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: