Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

And to finally break down in a friends driveway. The OP has some serious luck on his side.
briways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Yuch,

Someone added a relay for a starter problem. Likely a no crank hot problem. Here is what I notice. There is a smaller dangling wire red with a black tracer. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be on the starter solenoid. It has something to do with providing power to the ECU? during cranking. I'd have to get my manual out and trace.

The wires on the hall distributor look terrible. Also, have you followed the brown wire in that harness? It needs to be grounded for everything to work. Good luck dealing with those alternator bolts. I watched a good video on you tube the other day on how to remove broken bolts.

Overall, I'm surprised you have gotten as far as you have. VW, did their home work. From what I've seen, I'd be afraid to run it around the block on a test drive.

I think the red wire is for a GoWesty auxilary battery isolator that a previous owner might have installed. I connected it in the past and I could hear it click on and off under my seat. I don't think it is a game changer for starting.

Yes, she is dirty and it is embarrassing. I am a traveling rock climber and I was down in Las Vegas, Cali, and souther utah off road often to get to the climb sites. I broke my CV Axel then and drove to GoWest to get proper replacement joints (fyi don't buy the ones off of amazon, even if desperate).

I thought that leak was from my vancafe coolant line coupler area in front of the starter, but ill have to find the source, but it could just be gradual minor leak from driving 4,000 miles in the past 2.5 months. It has been warmer today to clean it up.

As for the alternator bracket, should I skip on drilling those bolts out?

Will verify fuel and spark once I sort the alternator.

Thanks everyone!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

huh. Sure looks like the wire that tells things to go when you turn the ignition, but I have been wrong before and will be again.

I have the GW aux battery kit (unfortunately, I have spent way too much time in the past 6 months considering replacement options) and maybe older kits were different, but mine definitely did not have any wires going back that way, everything wired between the kit under my seat and the dash area. or, the PO made his/her own system on your van.

Good luck! You're showing a great attitude on this thread and that's 1/2 the struggle IMO.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

According to the manual for your year, that wire does no show up in the diagrams. It's definitely a factory wire. Checking the wiring for the camper, they show a "50" wire for the relay under the driver's seat. I believe it supplies a ground through the starter solenoid that disappears while cranking. They show the T connectors up front, not at the starter solenoid. The manual is not always 100% correct.

The AFC vanagons did get power to the fuel pump relay while cranking.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Attach chain to that wiring, put a 50 pound anchor on it, and throw it overboard

Whoever did that wiring didn’t do you any favors , and you won’t do yourself a favor trying to fix it. Start fresh
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

In Brian's defense, he just drove through a large East Coast Snow Storm a day or so before.

A lot of that wet "oil" is actually wetness from salted highways.

Yes, the wiring needs cleaning up for sure.
But as a young man I often got a car, jumped in and off we went! Destination California, or Florida, or Maine or somewhere.

Each night as we camped, I'd fix something. By the time I would get home, I had a better car than I left in!

Now, fast forward to today? I'm with you guys, I'd worry about going to the grocery store as that unit sets.
That's why I've got a non runner Vanagon in my driveway, a basement full of new parts and a crying near empty wallet!
Anyway.........
You know what? He's young!
I certainly can't throw any stones for I've lived in that glass house of driving unknown and less than perfect rides on extended journeys.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:
Your running out of fuel may have accentuated the problems that ethanol laced fuel is known to cause, both your injectors and valve stems may be sticky. I have found that adding a quart of 2-cycle oil or synthetic motor oil to a full tank of gas can get you back on the road in this case, and may or may not make for a lasting fix.

Why is this an option? I don't know why you'd add 2-cycle to the gas tank. Please educate me.[/quote]

If you have a sticky heater cable or door latch you might spray it with lubricant to get it to work, the same goes for the sticky goo that can build up in injectors or on valve stems, you may need to get lubricant to them to get the component to work. Adding 2-cycle oil, synthetic motor oil, of some lubricant to the fuel in the tank may do the job in this case and costs very little. A full quart of 2-cycle added to the oil will give you a mixture rate of ~60:1 so will likely cause no smoke or fouling problems.

Since he says he has new injectors this may well not be the fix he needs though.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
briways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Update:

SPARK: Timing gun shows spark at all plugs.

Fuel: Pressure is felt after fuel filter and new injectors bought from EVWparts were installed. Still waiting on new fuel lines and fuel pressure inline gauge.

Tried to replace the relay by the starter shown in previous photos, new relay killed all crank, put back old relay and it cranked. Put red wire on the pin below the black, no difference.

After replacing injectors, it sounded like it wanted to start on the 1st second of the crank.

Could this be an Air Flow Meter issue? Got a new multimeter, will check pins in ecu plug for resistance.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Have you pulled the spark plugs yet?
This is a basic first move in the game of diagnosis. Cheap easy quick.

It is surprising how quickly they can cause an issue.

Thats great you have confirmed spark.

Again, trying to start may be the plugs dried off a wee bit after sitting but were quickly overwhelmed with fuel again.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Have you tried starting fluid recently? If you have spark then it should run a few seconds on a shot of fluid.

Just because the timing light works does not mean that the engine has a good spark, the coil may have enough to trigger the timing light but if the coil is failing it could be delivering a weak spark. Easier to see if you pull a plug and ground it to test for a good strong spark.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

He previously said he had a good spark.
When I asked him he said he checked it at the coil to cap.

I suggested he verify spark at the cylinders themselves by pulling a wire and grounding it.
He asked if the timing light would indicate distribution out of the coil,
I said yes.

But I agree, it is time to pull some spark plugs for an overall health check and as you say, check for a healthy spark at the plug.

I'm beginning to think he will still be in Pa fir the Super Bowl and the next snow storm as well! (Sunday night)

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

OP, you will get there. Keep at it!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Since your starter is cranking the engine I wouldn't worry about it for now come back to that mess later.

What I suggest doing is using either the Bentley or the digijet pro training manual to do a total check of the entire ignition and fuel delivery systems. Do each step completely and keep notes, if stuff is not right fix it as you go but don't stop, even if the van starts up. You'll learn a lot and most likely get the van running, maybe better than before.

I gained a lot more confidence working on my van after I did the above a couple times. I do this systems check annually now and really like how the notes track over time. It only takes a couple hours taking my time.
briways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Pulled the sparks and they are gunked, especially the right side and closest to passenger seat spark. They were new last week. It cranks now and almost sounds like it wants to go, a fast choking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will run bently fuel and spark tests if it doesn't go after letting it air out with the sparks out and new sparks.

Any idea what this wire is for, I grounded it as it is brown. It was ripped and beat up when I found it near the tranny area.

Also found that one of my accelerator switches was broken off as well, not sure if that is a recent thing from messing with it:

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
B

I used to live in the Poconos and am South if you now.

Dave

Well I'll be darned Dave. I was born and raised in Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg High Class of 93.

You wouldn't happen to be the same Dave that had the epic VW graveyard up by Shawnee would you? If so, you did some work on my 74 Super Beetle back in the day.

Last edited by SCM on Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Quote:
Any idea what this wire is for, I grounded it as it is brown. It was ripped and beat up when I found it near the tranny area.

Stop.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

briways wrote:

Is that green wire with all the exposed copper strands sticking out from the electrical tape below the brown wire attached to your oxygen sensor?

You may have multiple, uh, opportunities to improve the performance of your van.

Also, if you're anywhere near Crystal Street in East Stroudsburg, and if (a really big if) it's still in business and owned by one of his sons, Tony's Pizza was the absolute best when I lived back there. Please forgive my trip down memory lane.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Curious, he says those plugs were new since he arrived in the Poconos, basically never driven.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
briways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
briways wrote:

Is that green wire with all the exposed copper strands sticking out from the electrical tape below the brown wire attached to your oxygen sensor?

You may have multiple, uh, opportunities to improve the performance of your van.

Also, if you're anywhere near Crystal Street in East Stroudsburg, and if (a really big if) it's still in business and owned by one of his sons, Tony's Pizza was the absolute best when I lived back there. Please forgive my trip down memory lane.

It is not attached to the green o2 sensor wire. It is separate, guessing it is maybe oil pressure or temp wire, the blue wire, not sure but I don't think it is a game changer for starting. I ground the brown. Will sort out o2 sensor wire when I can.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

What I find frustrating is that I cannot state with authority basic facts.

Does he have consistent strong spark at the plugs?

Does he have fuel pressure in the rail?

Do the injectors pulse?

He has a fuel gauge, I told him how to attach it.
Maybe we will get a solid answer on this?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: