Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Grounding out the O2 sensor wire will make the engine run puke rich once the FI goes closed loop. Sad
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

briways wrote:

[b]It is not attached to the green o2 sensor wire. It is separate,

You misunderstood me. I'm not asking if the brown wire is connected to the green one. Without looking at my van I have no advice on the brown wire. BUT, I believe that green wire is for your O2 sensor and it looks horrible. As Wildthings mentioned, it could also be a cause of some problems.
briways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help on this!

Not sure if running out of fuel was the cause or brainlessly throwing new parts into her to create more issues, but my van is now running! (for now) haha

I resolved the issue with spark by rebuilding my distributor with a new sensor/sender. Even after rebuilding it I had issues, but it was from an improper hookup of the vac advance. I also carelessly had one of my plugs in the wrong position 1 and 2 were swapped.

Added a new GW TPS as well and all the other parts mentioned before. Only thing that can really go wrong next is engine failure...

Good experience and I have learned a lot. Mainly to put more TLC into the van and clean her up a bit.

Thanks everyone again!!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Glad to hear it!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

Good to hear!

Next time, diagnose first, then spend 100’s of dollars on parts second as needed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
briways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

I have a new theory of what happened which seems logical. Or Bizarre rare?

1. Belt was squeaking due to 'fix it' bracket failing/weather changes/not made for that and driving all over the USA. Mainly not drilling out the alternator bolts/knobs. So I pulled over prior to running out of gas to tighten it).

1.1 Which lead to me using my Ryobi lamp with a 4ah battery to open the engine bay lid up at night. Foam from lid probably expanded in Florida's humid hot weather. I slightly remember my large Ryboi lamp falling into the engine area more than once. Probably hit my Air Flow Meter and TPS (which is why TPS/accelerator rod was bent downward.)

2. Expansion from foam/bumps in road or uphill cause Air Flow Meter/TPS to act up. Making me believe I ran out of gas, but really idle or fuel was too lean. I believe someone early on in the thread mentioned It is odd to run out of gas, as I haven't in the past. Waiting for the fuel AAA man probably cooled down the engine to allow to get to next gas station. Or the fix it bracket broke right before "Running out of gas", not sure when that broke, didnt discover it until in the Poconos

3. Same problem occurred yesterday and when I opened the engine bay lid, one of my intake hoses was off the intake body. I remember back when I was in Chicago, similar things happened with some of the smaller vac hoses. Yesterday, I played around with the AFM & the new GW TPS and I am back running.

Conclusion: Running out of fuel was a distraction that didn't help. Panic of replacing hall sender, which pigtail plug was hanging in by a thread, caused no spark, creating another distraction from the true problem. Also careless mistakes whlist frantically installing new parts without knowing the real issues. Regardless, I've learned a lot. And big shoutout to Kev's shop in Philly for teaching me the ropes on adjusting AFM/TPS/Timing!

Any tips for securing the engine down better or less chances of engine bay lid foam hitting anything on a hard bump? Or nothing should hit the lid if everything is installed properly hey?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting Issue: Running out of fuel aftermath 83.5 Vanagon 1.9L Reply with quote

I win. Cool Anyhow, have you checked your 4 engine mounts, They do fail. The engine won’t fall out, but can bounce around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: