Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
The inner tub doesn't line up with the floor pan. I tried pulling it in but it doesn't pull in enough to be able to bolt it down. I'm going to have to add a 1.25" square tube on each side to give it something to bolt on to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The spacing here looks pretty good.

It will. Put it in the sun with ratchet straps going all the way around the car (vertically, over the pan, not around), put a couple 2x4's to take up the space at the pan edge and crank it down. Get it tight. Let it sit and soak in the sun for a couple hours then do it again. Repeat until the flange lines up. It will....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

I've had the straps on for weeks and it goes right back to where it started. It's had 26+ years in the current shape so it doesn't appear to want to move. The spacing by the rear is kind of fixed by the rear wall so it's very stout there.

I had read about applying heat from a gun etc but don't want to burn the gel coat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to keep the "splayed" width for a little extra interior room. Wink
A flat strip of 1/8" steel, properly contoured, could extend the flange surface outward enough to bolt it back together without raising the body too much and upsetting the front/rear bulkhead fit-up. Some mid-summer Texas heat would probably be needed to "coax" the body back to the original pan width - if it even/ever fitted properly when new!
Jeff
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
I'd be tempted to keep the "splayed" width for a little extra interior room. Wink
A flat strip of 1/8" steel, properly contoured, could extend the flange surface outward enough to bolt it back together without raising the body too much and upsetting the front/rear bulkhead fit-up. Some mid-summer Texas heat would probably be needed to "coax" the body back to the original pan width - if it even/ever fitted properly when new!
Jeff

The body liner likes the position it's in. I didn't like the noise it made when I was trying to reshape it so I think it will go on as is. I had thought of it like a kid with braces. Every once in a while you tighten them some more until those teeth are straight. A gradual process.

I'm with you....a little extra room is always welcome.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

Ya know......my body was a little bit like that on the width.
But nothing close to what yours is.
Someone had dobbed some glass over the edge because the bolt holes were barely on the edge to start with.

I cut all that off and just made my fabrication fit where the body centered up.

I have my front tires further forward.
As in......my little 23" tires barely clear the back of the headlight. Same empi style baja lights as yours.

All through December and January mine was weighted and strapped getting twist out of it. It did work.....but it has slowly crept back some.

You are already proving you can do some weld fab.
Don't be scared to move the head or extend the tunnel to make it fit how you want it too.
If you are gonna keep it.....ya know it is gonna forever irratate you if it ain't right. No one else may ever notice but you will.....lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
Ya know......my body was a little bit like that on the width.
But nothing close to what yours is.
Someone had dobbed some glass over the edge because the bolt holes were barely on the edge to start with.

I cut all that off and just made my fabrication fit where the body centered up.

I have my front tires further forward.
As in......my little 23" tires barely clear the back of the headlight. Same empi style baja lights as yours.

All through December and January mine was weighted and strapped getting twist out of it. It did work.....but it has slowly crept back some.

You are already proving you can do some weld fab.
Don't be scared to move the head or extend the tunnel to make it fit how you want it too.
If you are gonna keep it.....ya know it is gonna forever irratate you if it ain't right. No one else may ever notice but you will.....lol

It's killing me because I don't have anywhere to store the body right now since it's raining.....don't want to leave it outside. So I can really only work on it on weekends. I have a pile of parts ready to go on it including all the brake stuff including hard lines, shocks, wheel bearings, clutch and throttle cables, and more. Getting it out of the garage so I can work on it really is a production and I always need to find a couple of people to help me lift the body off. So here I wait for Saturday to get here so I can accomplish something.

I really should build a lift or a scaffold to rest the body on.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

Are you ever removing that black molding?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Are you ever removing that black molding?

When I bought this car I hated three things. The hubcaps, that the body wasn't centered on the chassis and that ugly black molding. The hubcaps went right away and then I took a peek under the molding and it's not promising.

These fiberglass bodies seem to have shipped with heavy mold lines in them. So underneath that is where they ground down those mold lines so it's not pretty. Now instead of the lines sticking out they are little depressions where they got aggressive with a grinder. Long term I've thought about trying to match the gel coat to fix it. Either that or at least make it smooth and then do a more presentable graphics line. Anything can be fixed but I may have my limits to what I'm willing to do.

Maybe something like this as narrow as possible would be an improvement. The thing is it needs to be wide enough so it can correct the line that's on there now. (I want that Shala Vet by the way)

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

When you get your Shala, you can put this one in a small box and ship it to the east coast. The car, not the molding. Lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
When you get your Shala, you can put this one in a small box and ship it to the east coast. The car, not the molding. Lol

Sounds like a deal! I'm sure I can put the molding to good use too!

dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

I'm looking to ditch the baja style headlights. I don't like the way the bulb sticks out past the chrome bezel. Even tried to get creative and grind it to make more room but it just doesn't adjust in enough. To me they look a little too big for the car too.

You can get an idea here how much they stick out.

The Vokaro ad photos show a light that has a lower profile. I'd like to get something like this. It looks like they mounted it from behind. It has a notch cut at the top for the adjuster.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of headlight would have a bezel that would be more flush with the ring that holds the headlight in? Been looking at MG's and similar. The ghia looks nice but I think it will stick out further in the back. The parts guys tell me the ghia needs a mount for the bezel that goes on the body. Does anyone here have experience with ghia lights? Do I need that huge weld in can in the back to mount the ghia headlight assemblies?

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

As I understand.....the car was intended for the ghia lights to be fitted.

Think about stone damage from the front tire.....mine are closer than yours.....but nothing protecting the back of a bulb sealed beam or h4.

Sticking out gave me more tire clearance and the baja buckets enclosed the back of the light. I intend to run "off-road" h4's and stone guards on the front. Blast the chrome and paint.

All that being said......now go look at jeep headlight mounts on ebay. You will have to make up mounting to recess them....but could look lovely. Then put in the led conversion lights. They are not a bulb....no glass back.....they are an aluminum heat sink for the led driver.....and sealed up solid ..... And not very deep inset.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
As I understand.....the car was intended for the ghia lights to be fitted.

Think about stone damage from the front tire.....mine are closer than yours.....but nothing protecting the back of a bulb sealed beam or h4.

Sticking out gave me more tire clearance and the baja buckets enclosed the back of the light. I intend to run "off-road" h4's and stone guards on the front. Blast the chrome and paint.

All that being said......now go look at jeep headlight mounts on ebay. You will have to make up mounting to recess them....but could look lovely. Then put in the led conversion lights. They are not a bulb....no glass back.....they are an aluminum heat sink for the led driver.....and sealed up solid ..... And not very deep inset.

I'll have lights with a can on the back to protect them. Just needs to be shallow so it's not too visible. The Vokaro instruction manual mentions that "there are headlight buckets on the market that are used in kit cars and jeeps."

There is a pair of jeep buckets I had my eye on but the bezels have too many cutouts for the adjusters. The ghia one might work but the cans that go on the back look really big. Wish there was a local vw wrecker so I could go and look at a pair. My Hillman Husky has a decent bezel but the headlight sticks out through the bezel a bit too..

Have you figured out how to put the bezel on the baja headlights? The spring is all wrong on mine. I see no way to get the damn thing on.

Last edited by dlyle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

My buddy Ramo came over and helped out today. He's the brains of the operation and always has really good ideas. We got the framework of the rear body support and tank mount done. The tank was previously touching or was very close to touching the starter. Now it has a .5" gap. It doesn't slope to the drain hole as much as I'd like but any higher and it hits the body. A possible reason for the previous plywood lift they had on the body. I'm going to need to shorten the filler neck as it's protruding a couple inches further through the body than what it was before.

Went and watched my son's soccer game and then came back and starter work on the frame extension/wideners. Really happy with how the passenger side came out. The floor pan feels really solid on that side now. They already had the stiffeners underneath but this added even more support. The wife even helped me a bit.

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

Looking like you are getting there.
Enjoying seeing you make progress......I had much the same plan for mine when I started......but then I went crazy.

Once you get the body set back on without the wooden spacer.....toss a seat in and check head height.
The original seats (I do have them) leaned back a lot to get your head down. But knees were up in steering wheel too much. The seats I chose to use are very low but sit more upright. I had to lower my floorboards a lot to get my head down. You can do the same thing with a body lift.....,but this is supposed to be a sports car not a dune buggy.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

Spent the whole weekend on the Vokaro. Very little accomplished but I'm making some progress.

I bought a Harbor Freight tube bender and spent most of Saturday afternoon bending these rear body supports. The two sides are not symmetrical so there was some trial and lots or error.

Need to remove the angle iron on the top shock mount that's on there now. Not sure if I'll tie anything in to it again as it's already pretty rigid.

I'll be able to add a small support in for the lower part of the body by the exhaust. This rear piece is held in with flanges so can easily be removed when the engine needs to come out.

I started to clean up the edge of the outer pan support at the rear. I'm going to dress it up a bit as it will be visible. It will look a lot better than the plywood that was there before. The gap you see there between the inner body tub and the the torsion plate will be about a fingers width now that the body will sit further back.

dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

I've got some new tires on the car. Haven't taken any pictures of the new fronts but here are some that show the rear tires. I got tired of fooling with all those lug nuts every time I changed a wheel so I just have two lug nuts on per wheel.

These are 215/75-15's on the back. The front is still 165/80 but I got a set of 205/65-15's for the front.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

205’s are gonna be kinda wide, maybe? It looks great low, though!
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
205’s are gonna be kinda wide, maybe? It looks great low, though!

I agree. I'm trying to match tire brands though. I'd love a 165/80-15 but I can't find anything that has both the front and rear sizes that I want. I don't want mismatched tires. All of these tires have patterns, ribs and designs that would stand out.

The factory car had a wide tire too in the front. This is the same 4.5" that I have and it's pinched down quite a bit too so I know it's wide. Mine will be similar....or I should say it is similar. I've got it on there already. Both the 165 and 205 tire I have are both 25.5" tall. Will take a photo later today.

Last edited by dlyle on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:43 am; edited 3 times in total
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just brought home a Vopard Vokaro Reply with quote

Narrow the beam and hide them fronts up in the fender!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: