Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb. & fuel pump rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevincoupnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

I'm new to this...so be patient. I just purchased a 1967 beetle. It has the original numbered correct engine. A few parts I'm replacing, are correct but not original. They are the carburetor, fuel pump, distributor & generator. I've located and purchased correct, re-buildable replacements, that I'm going to re-condition and rebuild. What I need is advice on where to buy the best available rebuild kits for these parts. I've been told that Wolfsburg West has good kits for the carb & fuel pump...please advise. Also any advise on the distributor and generator would be appreciated.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

Look for Bill at Sparx werkz
kevincoupnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks...but I don't need a rebuilder. I need to know where to buy the best parts for myself to rebuild.
Where are you from in NJ ?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

There's usually some hard-to-find distributor parts for sale at
https://www.vwnos.com/ .

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

A 67 originally had a 205K which is the simplest model. You only need 2 fiber washers and metal shims.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevincoupnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

Thank you Glenn. I looked at your site. You do beautiful work. Can you recommend where I can buy all the parts necessary to rebuild my 205K ?...shims, points, rotor, cap, condenser, etc ? Very much appreciate any help.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

WolfsBurg West has the correct fuel pump rebuild kits.
I have recently bought 4 maybe five and they come with the correct Efbbi main diaphragm. Some say to use the original springs instead of the ones that come with the kits.
I used the springs that came with the rebuild kit and didn't notice any degradation in the pump performance. YMMV!

I cannot vouch ton the quality o the WW carb rebuild kits. Most of them these days seem to be the same generic kit. No matter where you purchase them from.
A suggestion. On the carb, fill the float bowl with IPA and operate the throttle lever. I have a 30 PICT 1 that leaks around the throttle plate shaft. It needs a rebush of the shaft.
https://www.volkzbitz.com/
Tim can and will make the carb good as new!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

It's been years since I bought one, but for forever the float valves in rebuild kits were junk, and you want to clean and re-use your old one if possible.

Also, my favorite obscure carb tip: When you assemble the accel pump, fit the diaphragm, then fit the cover loosely. Then open the throttle all the way (which actuates the pump fully), and while holding it there, tighten the four screws of the pump cover. This will prevent stretching/tearing of the diaphragm, especially as it ages.

Here are some tips, including this one and access pump nozzle aiming, from repair manuals:
KTPhil wrote:
The VW Owner Service Manual (Verlag Delius+ Klasing & Co):

It does show a misleading diagram that implies a spray or shower, instead of a jet:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But the text makes clear it is a jet, and that it should be aimed to avoid any part of the carburetor. It also says to tighten the pump cover screws with the throttle open.

Elfrink's VW Technical Manual:

This mentions the proper aim to avoid hitting the throttle plate:

Haynes VW Beetle Owners Workshop Manual:

This mentions both the aim, and also the need tighten the cover screws with the throttle opened:
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

kevincoupnj wrote:
Thank you Glenn. I looked at your site. You do beautiful work. Can you recommend where I can buy all the parts necessary to rebuild my 205K ?...shims, points, rotor, cap, condenser, etc ? Very much appreciate any help.

Talk to Marcel at www.vwnos.com

Some of the stuff he sells are genuine Bosch and some are reproduction.

Everything you need should be about $10.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

Any recommendation on a rebuild kit for a Solex 30 pict1?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

Russ1967 wrote:
Any recommendation on a rebuild kit for a Solex 30 pict1?

I got my rebuild kit from RockAuto, covers several models.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carb. & fuel pump rebuild Reply with quote

Regardless of where you buy the kit, keep and maybe re-use your old float valve. New ones have historically been junk.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: