Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

224k miles on my original WBX
Never been towed
Regularly cruises at 80 mph on flat ground, sometimes with a 500 lb motorcycle inside and the slider door open.
Heads were resealed at 130k miles
Heads were replaced at 210k miles, oil pressure and temp gauge installed

No oil pressure issues even when it's 110F ambient and operating at 4500-5000 rpm cruising speeds.

My WBX is a workhorse that never lets me down. I'd love to rebuild the engine, but it just keeps going.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

Is there a difference between Towing and flat bedding? Just asking.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

I think in this context people who have been towed mean never recovered, as opposed to two or four wheel towing/whole car on trailer( flat-bedding)
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

Never towed meaning the Vanagon has never required another vehicle to rescue it due to a mechanical failure. Any movement on the road has it being propelled by its own engine.

It has never left me stranded due to a mechanical failure and needed another vehicle to move it.
jacksonpm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

I just went through this same thing. The engine in my van only had 120k on it but is 30 years old, and was starting to drip a little antifreeze from the head. Stop leak bought me time to consider the options. Honestly i think it would have been ok for quite awhile just doing that, but after a lot of consideration I decided to put in a new GW 2.3.
I can verify, the "while we're in here" clause is absolutely true.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

I'll clarify....... I've towed plenty of my vehicles home, at purchase, new to me, NOT running at purchase. Flat towed or on a car trailer.
I've never paid for a tow.
I've done several at the end of a rope! Fun!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

Rebuilding a bottom end that hasn't blown up is typically pretty easy to do. Bearing inserts, new seals, rebuilt rods, replacement piston rings, and maybe cam and lifters may well be all you need. You will need to learn how to measure things like piston ring clearance and piston skirt clearance.

Cleanliness is next to godliness when rebuilding an engine.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Cylinder Heads and Gasket or just get a new Engine? Reply with quote

FAS and boxeer are brand new engines. A FAS gasser is my dream someday.

Smallcar and Vanaru shops are using pretty new motors, like 2010-12 I think? I wouldn’t consider that old tech and I think you can get some pretty low mile motors and/or factory new short blocks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: