Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

Somewhat of a bus newb here and looking for recommendations for an ideal motor and trans (mostly concerned about motor size) set up for all around driving. i'd like to be able to cruise at 70ish and go up hills without getting honked at by prius drivers etc.

Right now i have a 1641 dp motor in a 67 split. according to my paperwork it's got a performance swing axle 12-volt and a 3.88 r&p and stock rbg's. it goes ok but would love to make it more drivable.

a friend said 1915's are bullet proof while another says a low compression 2180 is the way to go.

Thoughts?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

You have a bus, it is what it is...nothing is certian, what you have sounds sound..there met to cruise. ????????
Trying to bite my lip. Cool

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:

Right now i have a 1641 dp motor in a 67 split. according to my paperwork it's got a performance swing axle 12-volt and a 3.88 r&p and stock rbg's. it goes ok but would love to make it more drivable.

More drive-able how?? Right now it is like you are talking about vanilla ice cream and you say you want something more eatable....
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

Quote:
More drive-able how??

my main issue is driving up moderate grades. i want to be able drive up without having to down shift to 3rd and crawl up. it'd be nice to be able to cruise at 70 on the hwy too.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:
Quote:
More drive-able how??

my main issue is driving up moderate grades. i want to be able drive up without having to down shift to 3rd and crawl up. it'd be nice to be able to cruise at 70 on the hwy too.

Then you will want more torque, which means more crankshaft stroke. To do 70 MPH if you want the engine to last long, will require higher gearing like a 3.44 R&P and maybe a beetle .89 fourth gear.

As for how big of engine, that is too much a personal taste. Which is why some have gone with Subaru or even Corvair engines.

Personally seen that a 1776cc is doable with small pistons, bigger stroke, and that way you do can keep the engine with the OG carb, intake and muffler. Then not having to cut and weaken the original VW engine case for bigger cylinders or have to spend up to $1,000 just for a new aftermarket beefed up case. Known too many folks that had the original VW engine cut for bigger cylinders and ended up with a cracked case forward of #3 cylinder, spewing oil all over the flywheel. Making for a nice slippery slipping clutch.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

I would just start by adding dual carbs and a header and muffler. you may find that it's enough. stock bus did 65 mph all day no problem
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

A stroker for pulling hills.

Last year i built a 2017 (90.5x78.4) with fuel injection for a Split Westy. The customer reports he has no problems keeping up with traffic or climbing long hills.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

I have large nut boxes with a freeway flyer center section powered by a 1915

I'm heavily debating busting open the engine and making it into a stroker
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

What Glenn said. My '66 has a 2017 and FF transmission. There aren't any hills in FL, but when I hit a high bridge its like its not there, no slowing down ,often pull it in 4th. IMHO it's more fun to drive in the "sweet spot", that is, where my bus likes to be, so about 63 is for easy cruising. If you're behind me, enjoy looking at an old bus or go around!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
What Glenn said. My '66 has a 2017 and FF transmission. There aren't any hills in FL, but when I hit a high bridge its like its not there, no slowing down ,often pull it in 4th. IMHO it's more fun to drive in the "sweet spot", that is, where my bus likes to be, so about 63 is for easy cruising. If you're behind me, enjoy looking at an old bus or go around!

What R&P and 4th gear are you running? Still have RGB's?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

The 3.88 RP is killing you with a stock motor. Need a 4.12 instead
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
The 3.88 RP is killing you with a stock motor. Need a 4.12 instead

Only way a 3.875 R&P will kill a stock motor is if one lugs or over revs the engine, and that can be easily done with any of the stock split screen R&Ps. Driver input does affect engine longevity.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

Have you considered a chevy van? They cruise up hills fast.

If you can't handle 3rd gear on hills, move somewhere flatter.

big motors are big money and big headaches. Stock motors are slow and reliable (and not all that cheap either.) If you can't handle driving 60-65 most of the time, you will put a huge amount into chasing those extra 5-10mphs.

Your drivetrain is already overgeared, so it will be a dog, especially at the top end. Always go up with power first before gearing.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

Holy!

I drive the Autobahn with 44 DIN HPs!

Almost everyone is happy to see these busses and are waving at you. So where is the point?
OK, there might be some stupid truckdrivers honking at you on steep hills - but hey, who cares?

Drive and be happy!

Cheers!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Have you considered a chevy van? They cruise up hills fast.

If you can't handle 3rd gear on hills, move somewhere flatter.

big motors are big money and big headaches. Stock motors are slow and reliable (and not all that cheap either.) If you can't handle driving 60-65 most of the time, you will put a huge amount into chasing those extra 5-10mphs.

Your drivetrain is already overgeared, so it will be a dog, especially at the top end. Always go up with power first before gearing.

We like stock too - just never go over 55 mph and that stocker will last a lifetime - our '60 single cab has a rebuilt 1500, done in 1988 and still going strong - Also have a Ford camper-van - best camper, we ever had - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

We like stock too - just never go over 55 mph and that stocker will last a lifetime - our '60 single cab has a rebuilt 1500, done in 1988 and still going strong - Also have a Ford camper-van - best camper, we ever had - z

Only if one hardly drives. As the old saying goes, "its not the years, but the miles".
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:
Somewhat of a bus newb here and looking for recommendations for an ideal motor and trans (mostly concerned about motor size) set up for all around driving. i'd like to be able to cruise at 70ish and go up hills without getting honked at by prius drivers etc.

a friend said 1915's are bullet proof while another says a low compression 2180 is the way to go.

Thoughts?

I like the 1776 for cool running and have a built 1835 SP with dual carbs that runs amazing with great driveability. It runs very cool as well. They cruise at 60-65 and do ok on hills. Either can attain 70 mph to pass...... But *comfortably* cruising at 70 AND climbing hills without downshifting is a big leap for air cooled vw motors in a bus. That extra 5-10 mph will require exponentially more power due to the nature of aerodynamics. Probably something over 2L. To build a reliable, cool running Type 1 motor like that be prepared to shell out some cash. Will you be camping and going off road in it?

Another option if you want to stay vintage and aircooled is get a Corvair Greenbrier van. If I’m in a hurry and want to go 70 and pass people going up hill I take my 1963 Greenbrier. I’ve actually cruised it at 80, no problemo. 110 hp stock , reliable , unstressed and smooth as an electric motor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

I like this conversation.
I’ve read several good threads that all get at about the same idea. Seems like most people have different formulas that work best for them.

I’m in the process of having a 2017cc motor built for my Sundial camper bus. It has stock 67 gearing but a 3.88 r/p recently rebuilt by Rancho. Seems to be about the right recipe as several others in my area (Ohio) are running similar gearing and similar engine size. I had been running a stock 1600 single port behind the transaxle which ran well until it didn’t. I would agree that with the taller r/p the single port was out of guts for the hills of Eastern Ohio.

I did put a set of the larger AT tires on my camper, the 27x8.5x 14 Grabbers. I had been running a 195/70/14 prior. The bigger tires definitely added to the problem with the gearing and the power.

My 2017cc should be finished by the time to drive season returns to Ohio ( April or May) I’ll do my best to update and let you know how it performs. I’m planning for run dual Weber 44s at this point.
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

Hi. Because variety is the spice of life, I'll chime in with what I did. It's not for everyone, but it does work really well for me.

I have a '56 bus with a 2332cc engine and a big nut trans. I had the trans rebuilt with a 3.88 ring and pinion and stock '67 gear ratios, including the .82 fourth gear. I'm also running slightly taller 6.70 Firestone tires. The combination works really well. The engine is more than strong enough to push the taller gearing and tires, and I feel I have enough power to go over just about any hill. It cruises at 70 mph on the freeway and the engine stays cool.

Just another combination for you to mull over.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Regards,
-Wade
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal motor and transaxle set up for all around driving? Reply with quote

I have an IRS w a 2332 (calmed down) to 180hp, lowered w 15's, 4 wheel disc-Even then a Chevy van as mentioned is a better idea. These are old w old ideas even after you have rebuilt just about everything.

My first bus was over 40 years ago, you either should have unlimited pockets or accept it for what it is, a vintage Bus that cruises. My first Bus was a 1200cc with Westy camping gear-slow was my name. Today I can easily hit 80 or 90mph fairly fast, but I don't. Climbing IS very easy, but if I look back at what I've spent, I would make You pay for my divorce, then kill you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: