Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

I've been drawing interiors for the last 10 weeks as I recuperate from a major injury. I have a tintop that I converted to a poptop myself.

I can't imagine tearing out a factory interior and putting in something custom, unless I was a cabinet maker or similar. It's totally functional and there, but that's just my opinion. I like easy buttons, would buy a good condition factory interior in heartbeat and would pay good money for it.
craegandbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I've been drawing interiors for the last 10 weeks as I recuperate from a major injury. I have a tintop that I converted to a poptop myself.

I can't imagine tearing out a factory interior and putting in something custom, unless I was a cabinet maker or similar. It's totally functional and there, but that's just my opinion. I like easy buttons, would buy a good condition factory interior in heartbeat and would pay good money for it.

Thanks for the feedback! As a matter of fact, I am a cabinet maker Smile
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

craegandbritt wrote:
[

Thanks for the feedback! As a matter of fact, I am a cabinet maker Smile

Oh then we expect an exceptionally good build! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

I have a 1980 with an original full camper interior and if I could only keep one thing it's the swiveling passenger seat. I had a 1972 camper before (with the kitchen behind that seat) and the difference in spaciousness alone is worth having the swiveling seat, even if you never sit in it that way. Not looking at the back of a seat while you're sitting or lying in the back of the van makes it less like a car and more like a little cabin.

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

Ease of engine access. One day you’ll be on the shoulder and need to have that access. Otherwise all your crap ends up on the floor and or the shoulder.

Sleeping. When I look at small conversion vans. A permanent bed that can be left made. Making a bed every night blows.

Don’t block the side door entrance. On a cold windy rainy day, you want to be able to slip in and out quickly.

Leave the floor clear behind the passenger seat. When we stop, the passenger seat gets turned around. That’s my spot. My wife gets the back seat and the dog gets the floor or the very back.

If you are solo, you have way more options.

I know folks live in these, but traveling is more our speed. Every week it gets a little smaller. You don’t do anything without an announcement first. “ I’m going to put my socks on” takes on a whole new meaning.

We love traveling and camping, but there’s nothing like the feeling of laying in bed knowing the full bathroom is steps away.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Leave the floor clear behind the passenger seat. When we stop, the passenger seat gets turned around. That’s my spot. My wife gets the back seat and the dog gets the floor or the very back.

I have used that spot (behind the passenger seat) for a porta-potty box with a cushion on top. Doubles as a foot rest or a separate seat when needed. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Check out this thread for some ideas:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some disagreed with negating the passenger swivel, but all agree that Ryan did a pretty incredible job on it.

D'aw thanks Joe!

2 years later and I still don't regret not having a swivel seat. I can sit 3 people on the bench, and another on a small stool I set in the aisle between the cabinets.
Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whoa, what digital monitor is this?
Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
“I’m going to take my socks OFF,” takes on a whole new meaning.

FTFY ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any regrets from removing original Westfalia interior? Reply with quote

Over the years I have slowly modified the existing Westfalia cabinets. At first I chopped the closet down to window height and removed the AC (live in Alaska). A few years ago I deleted the entire rear closet giving us the whole width of the van for sleeping. The rest of the cabinets are still there but I removed the rear swing out table a long time ago. With a mattress topper the area over the water tank is level with the rest of the bed giving us a queen size bed area. We have found this to be a huge improvement. Cant even compare to the stock setup IMHO. We don't need a closet, when in transit gear goes in duffle bags that can be shifted when camping. The stock setup was not really comfortable for more than one person.
SAMBA!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: