Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel adaption
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Myles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

How do you mount a larger steering wheel spline to a smaller spline. Is there a reduction thimble available?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

Sounds like you are trying to use an early large spline steering wheel (2-spoke) on an later small spline steering shaft (4-spoke wheel)??
I've never seen an adapter for that and it usually won't work without some mods especially if you are using an early stock steering wheel. The problem is that the later wiper switch arm interferes with the spokes in the early steering wheel. This pic explains the interference you will have running an early steering wheel on a later column with a wiper switch:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most will replace the entire steering column and shaft from an earlier model year. Some have had success heating the wiper switch arm and bending it to give more clearance, but sometimes the arms will just break off.

The splines changed in the '74 model year. So '72-'73 steering columns were 4-spoke and large spline, '74-later were 4-spoke small spline. '71 in US was the last model year with the wiper switch on the dash so could still use the 2-spoke steering wheels (large spline). My non-US '75 came with a '71 steering column/wheel and the wiper switch on the dash.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
carloscaq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

What do you need to replace in order to change the switch position of the wiper from the dash to the column???..I have a 71 1302 German model with wiper switch on the dash
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

I am confused by the whole steering wheel thing Sad

For my 74' SB I purchased an EMPI Steering Wheel Adapter, Beetle & Super 1974.5-1979 from Jbugs. [url] https://www.jbugs.com/product/79-4117.html[/url]

OK great. Now what?
Does that mean I can take this adapter and put any aftermarket steering wheel on my bug?

without going deep in the weeds here guys, if possible, I don't understand the splines thing. What's a spine?

I would like to use this steering wheel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPBTG5C/?coliid=I3DSC..._lig_dp_it

So what do I need to make this work? Will the EMPI adapter kit I got work for this? Do I need to add a steering wheel hub adapter with it like this?

It would be so helpful if someone just pointed and said .. ok kid it's simple, just use this and do this Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

I like that steering wheel, and I see your attraction at that price, however, it is too small for a bug. It will make your car a real struggle to steer. I've got a 14 1/2 inch wheel and wouldn't go any smaller unless it's a dune buggy or something - but that's me, it may work for you. But considering the adapter issue I'd find a wheel that's made to go with the adapter you bought. If you get an Empi/Grant steering wheel from a place like jbugs you won't have installation issues as they're made for your car.

Here's one that would work with your adapter -
https://www.jbugs.com/product/79-4013.html

Here's one I bought from jbugs that would also work with your adapter -
https://www.jbugs.com/product/79-4034.html

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

solorogue wrote:
I am confused by the whole steering wheel thing Sad

You wouldn’t be the first. It is often not as simple as buy this one adapter and it will all work.
The pic above showing the wiper switch lever interfering with the steering wheel spoke illustrates this. That steering wheel mounted just fine to the end of the steering shaft but ran into problems because it was not designed to work with the other steering column add-ons. When you open the scope to include all possible aftermarket steering wheels it just makes things worse with more variables.

solorogue wrote:
without going deep in the weeds here guys, if possible, I don't understand the splines thing. What's a spine?

Here is a pic of the end of the steering shaft and the steering wheel. Note the grooves just below the threaded end of the shaft and above the spring. Also note the grooves on the inside opening of the steering wheel. These grooves are called splines and they allow the two parts to mate together and lock so the steering wheel does not slip on the end of the shaft.

The grooves in the steering wheel must match the diameter and number used on the end of the steering shaft so they mate snugly. There are also different kinds of splines that are not compatible so the adapters are made specifically for VW Beetles. The Beetle steering shafts used a larger diameter splined area up thru the early ‘74 model year. Mid-‘74 model year, VW switched to a smaller diameter splined area which was used thru the end of production. This smaller diameter splined end was also used in some other VW models (Golf, Jetta) which is why some people have mounted “better looking” VW wheels in place of their OE ones.

solorogue wrote:
For my 74' SB I purchased an EMPI Steering Wheel Adapter, Beetle & Super 1974.5-1979 from Jbugs. https://www.jbugs.com/product/79-4117.html

OK great. Now what?
Does that mean I can take this adapter and put any aftermarket steering wheel on my bug?

Short answer... No, that adapter will not work with ALL aftermarket steering wheels. That is an “Empi” steering wheel adapter for mounting an “Empi steering wheel” to the end of a ‘74-later Beetle steering shaft. Will it work with a Grant steering wheel? Don’t know, but it looks very much like a rebranded Grant adapter. Will it work with the aftermarket Amazon steering wheel you linked to? Don’t know. It was made for an “Empi” steering wheel.
Ideally, the steering wheel manufacturer must tell you which adapter to use to mount their steering wheel to your car. Grant is one of the most popular aftermarket wheel makers because they make all kinds of adapters to most cars.

Here is a pic of the Empi installation kit for a pre-‘74 Beetle:

The main aluminum adapter is in the middle with the three holes. The ID of this aluminum part is splined to fit the end of the steering shaft. The three holes are where the three hole Empi steering wheel is mounted.
But what if you get a wheel with 5-screw holes for mounting? You need a 3-hole to 5-hole adapter. This may come with the wheel.

But what if the turn signal lever interferes with the flat steering wheel? You then need a spacer ribbed portion in the below pic (that is actually a 3-to-5 hole spacer+adapter).

What if your desired steering wheel is not 3-hole or 5-hole mount? Then you need another adapter to convert to the steering wheel you are using:

solorogue wrote:
I would like to use this steering wheel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPBTG5C/?coliid=I3DSC..._lig_dp_it

So what do I need to make this work? Will the EMPI adapter kit I got work for this? Do I need to add a steering wheel hub adapter with it like this?

It would be so helpful if someone just pointed and said .. ok kid it's simple, just use this and do this Smile

You need to contact the steering wheel maker. Ask where you buy an installation kit that will mount to the end of your OE steering wheel shaft and mate with their steering wheel. Some wheels come with a spacer adapter in which case your installation kit needs to mate with their spacer, not the holes in the wheel itself.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

Ashman40 - WOW such a great response and info you provided. This is VERY useful and helpful! You really show and spell it out so well! I am still not sure which spine number my SB has or I need to use, but You really break it down so well.

Jimbug - thanks for the note on the wheel diameter. The original steering wheel is 15" which to me feels like your driving a bus or 18 wheeler. Plus it's cracked in multiple places.

I really am not that impressed with the styling of the Grant or EMPI steering wheels, plus the sticker shock is whoa crazy.. I am not wanting to spend $200-$300 for a car I am working on for my 17 year old son to drive.

I think I will go with a 14" wheel and looking at something like this..but cheaper Smile
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088YTRKWB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATLXYKJJS0ORS&psc=1

It's a 9 bolt wheel, so I guess what I would need would be a 9 to 3 bolt adapter like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Flashpower-Steering-America...1KWVH76847

Though I am not sure on the sizing and spline fitment. It's weird.. if I go to JBugs and look at their Hub kits. it's saying that both the 13/16 and 11/16 splines will fit .. well they both can't fit, something is not right.

I would then like to put a wolfsburg horn button from JBugs on, but it's a 6 bolt and wow expensive .. ah well.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/STE1041C.html

So I am still trying to figure it all out. Thanks guys, you rock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

Another question I had on replacing the stock steering wheel in my 74' SB, when I pull the steering wheel off there is the black plastic Turn Signal Cancelling Ring with a wire attached to it. How do you mount the steering wheel adapter over the cancelling ring, where is the wire suppose to go then?
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel adaption Reply with quote

Here is the steering wheel I went with for my 74' SB. It's a Grant club steering wheel
https://www.amazon.com/Grant-457-Club-Sport-Wheel/...amp;sr=8-1

It fit perfect with the Grant adapter kit. I didn't need a spacer adapter as the steering wheel already came with enough space in which it does not hit the steering wheel levers.

Thanks for all the help in explaining how to replace the sterering wheel and parts needed. You guys rock!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: