Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

I've got a weird issue with my 1984 1.9 Vanagon.

When the engine gets up to temperature, it will rev the RPMs in a pulsing manner both at idle and when I'm slowing down from a driving speed.

It is an automatic transmission, and it doesn't have this issue if I am stationary but still in gear (such as at a stoplight), and it doesn't occur when I give the van any gas (like when driving/revving the engine at idle). So the engine having a load on it directly affects this issue.

Things to note,
I have replaced the fuel filter, (I'll be checking this and the fuel tomorrow, just in case there is water or something in there)
I replaced the temp 2 sensor.
I replaced the oxygen sensor, but still, have an oxygen sensor light on on the instrument cluster for some reason.
I've replaced the ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, and sparkplugs/wires.
I also checked for a vacuum leak, but couldn't find any. (I'll probably double check this though)
I also tried a different airflow meter, and the same issue occurs with that one.
The engine also runs pretty rich, and when it's doing the pulsing thing the exhaust smells pretty strongly like there's probably some unburnt fuel in it.

I just checked/adjusted the timing a little, but didn't want to change it too much.
As I retarded the timing, the pulsing seemed to mellow out a bit, but not completely. When I got to the point where the pulsing seemed to mostly go away, it no longer had the correct 35 degrees of advance when "all in", so I adjusted it to what I think *should* be correct timing, and the issue is still present.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what this issue can be, has anyone had any similar issues?
Could this be an issue with my O2 sensor giving bad feedback to the ECU?
Could it be the fuel injectors?
Could it just be the timing pulleys on my engine aren't correctly lined up, and it needs slightly less advance?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,
Jimi
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Are the throttle switches connected and working? There is also an adjustment. I say switches because I recall the digijet had one or two depending on generation. The digijet has a digital idle stabilizer mounted next to the coil. You need to disconnect both leads and plug them together when adjusting timing. It controls idle speed by small timing adjustments.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

the OXS light in the dash,
follow the speedometer cable from the wheel to the sway bar, you will find a box the cable goes in one side and out the other to the dash, there's a button on there, push the button, the OSX light should go out, and stay out, for 10k maybe 15k miles, i don't know, i've never bothered to find out.
it's like a service light on a modern car.

619 201 0310
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Are the throttle switches connected and working? There is also an adjustment.
The digijet has a digital idle stabilizer mounted next to the coil. You need to disconnect both leads and plug them together when adjusting timing. It controls idle speed by small timing adjustments.

I tested the throttle switches with a multimeter per the Bentley. And they seem to be fine.
And I did not disconnect/squeeze the idle stabilizer because I was going off a samba article on timing adjustments, not the Bentley. (They said this was supposed to be the better way to get accurate timing?) I can recheck timing based on what the Bentley says tonight though. (I should have done this in the first place)

Thank you for your help! Smile
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
there's a button on there, push the button, the OSX light should go out, and stay out, for 10k maybe 15k miles, i don't know, i've never bothered to find out.
it's like a service light on a modern car.

That’s amazing! Thank you for this info! I’ll do that tonight!

-Jimi
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with timing for total advance. But what you should do is watch the timing mark while the engine is idling. It's likely moving around as it should, but you might see the movement corelate to the surge.

Bypassing it takes it out of the equation completely. You might find the idle improves with it bypassed.

The digijet should have an auxilary air regulator for giving you a faster idle during warm up. It should also have at least on solenoid valve on the firewall by the air cleaner for raising the idle when power steering pressure is at limit. With AC, it will have an identical valve mounted next to it connected to the AC compressor circuit.
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delayed update.

I'm realizing now that the reason it does it after it gets up to temp is because the AUX air is working properly and giving it extra RPMs. But once it gets up to temp, it closes off and the issue starts becoming noticeable.

I checked the timing at idle while the engine was doing the pulsing thing, and like MarkWard stated, the pulsing seems to be corelated to timing mark jumping around. But the issue didn't seem to improve when I bypassed the idle stabilizer either.

On another note, I was able to get my OXS light to go off thanks to Markswagen's insight on that!

I also checked the fuel filter, and some of the fuel that was in the fuel tank, and there was a negligible amount of water in the fuel (1/4 teaspoon in ~1.5 liters of fuel).

I'm going to be double checking for vacuum leaks and making sure all my electrical connections are good. Can anyone thing of anything else I should think about testing?

Thank you all,

-Jimi
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

There should be zero water. Common water entry points are the fuel tank expansion tanks located in both front fenders. There is a valve on top with a large grommet that fails over time. Water and dirt are thrown up there by the tires where gravity takes over and funnels it back into the fuel tank.

I no longer reseal or replace fuel tanks without dropping both expansion tanks.
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
There should be zero water.

To be honest I was worried that there was any in there at all too, but after giving it some thought I think the water came from using a gas can with a funnel while it was pouring down rain. Since then the van has been stored in a garage/never ran while raining.

After taking out what little water there was in there, it is still experiencing the same pulsing issue.

I'll definitely put resealing all the tanks on my soon to do list though!

Thank you,

-Jimi
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Your engine should have a vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor. It should have 2 fittings. One is connected to intake vacuum and the other gets vacuum at throttle. These units do fail and leak vacuum. Have you tested them? The inner fitting pulls timing retard and the outer nipple pulls timing advance.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Quote:
I no longer reseal or replace fuel tanks without dropping both expansion tanks.

Do you replace them with the new metal ones? Or what do you do?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

I clean the original tanks with soap and water. Reinstall with new grommets.
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Your engine should have a vacuum advance diaphragm on the distributor. It should have 2 fittings. One is connected to intake vacuum and the other gets vacuum at throttle. These units do fail and leak vacuum. Have you tested them? The inner fitting pulls timing retard and the outer nipple pulls timing advance.

I've wondered about the vacuum on it before. How do I test the fittings? You're talking about the ports directly on the diz right?

-Jimi
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

You test them with your vacuum pump with a gauge. First ensure that your vacuum pump with gauge is attached to the vacuum canister with a properly-sealing hose. Pump to vacuum. Observe the gauge. It should either hold steady or leak down VERY slowly. The factory vacuum hose can leak a bit, so check that it is not a leaker. If a distributor vacuum actuator is leaking when you test it, you will likely hear a hiss.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, while your erratic idle is occurring what happens if you remove the oil fill cap? Even just loosen it to break the seal?
Put it back on.......
Now....

What happens if you pinch close the hose from the engine vent tower to the intake?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Out of curiosity, while your erratic idle is occurring what happens if you remove the oil fill cap? Even just loosen it to break the seal?
Put it back on.......
Now....

What happens if you pinch close the hose from the engine vent tower to the intake?

Dave

I actually tried the oil fill cap trick already, but unfortunately it did not help the situation at all. I haven't tried pinching the hose from the tower, I can try that next though.

-Jimi
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
You test them with your vacuum pump with a gauge.

I'll have to test it out. Thank you

-Jimi
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Sounds like classic dirty grounds to me. My 1.9 did this to me one time, it was running rich as hell and I tried the throwing parts thing at it and it ran really well after I cleaned the grounds.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Bad grounds or connections is a possibility. It probably doesn't happen before it comes to temp because it is running in open loop where it is ignoring the sensor inputs. There is a fuel injection trouble shooting manual i've seen which is a big help.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
vandam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570224&highlight=

search air flow jimmy rig if this link doesn't work, my 1984 Vanagon did the same thing and then I adjusted the circuit board so the wiper hit fresh carbon track, fixed my issue, and might be worth looking at. You can see in the photo that it had worn a spot into the board. Good luck

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: