Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Sorry for the long time between updates.

I tried a different air flow meter, and it had the same exact issue. So I’m doubtful that my air flow meter is the culprit.

I checked most of vacuum lines, and didn’t see any signs of leaks, but don’t have a vacuum gage/tester. So I moved on from that.

I replaced the original injectors/pigtails, since I figured it couldn’t hurt, especially with the engine at ~150k miles.
That doesn’t seem to have solved the issue either, but I’m still happy I did it nevertheless.

I was worried my distributor didn’t have the proper advance/retard due to a vacuum leak, so I ended up replacing the distributor with a rebuilt option, and there was a noticeable improvement in driving. But unfortunately the strange idle issue was still there.

At this point I’m confident the only other issue it could be is a vacuum leak somewhere. So after looking online, I realized I can buy some cigarettes and blow smoke into the intake to try to find a leak.
I think there’s a sight leak at the throttle body, and I’m wondering if anyone has had any luck with the gowesty throttle body? And if theres anything I need to consider if I’m going to switch to that from the 2 switch digijet throttle body?

Thank you all for your help so far!

-Jimi
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Remove your injectors and send them to Mr Injector in
Idaho.
They will come back looking and performing like new.
You'll be out about $100 with shipping.

Put them back in, your erratic idle may just be gone.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Remove your injectors and send them to Mr Injector in
Idaho.

I may have been a little unclear, I replaced my injectors with new aftermarket ones from bus depot.

I’m currently trying to figure out where I could have a vacuum leak, and unfortunately it seems like my engine has been jerry-rigged many times over haha. So I’m having a hard time figuring out how the vacuum lines are ran as opposed to how they should be.

-Jimi
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

How's your throttle body?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

A D.I.Y. vacuum leak check device.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674702

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

The throttle body might be an issue, but I can’t tell 100% yet. It seems like I have an “early version” vacuum throttle body with the 2 spots for vacuum on the throttle body housing.
BUT my vacuum lines are ran as a bit of a Frankenstein mashup between the “early” and “late” versions of vacuum lines.
I’m not entirely sure if that is the main issue with my idle though, since if ran without leaks, I would think it should still be work appropriately...

Does anyone know how a van would behave if one of the throttle body enrichment switches didn’t test as it is supposed to?

On page 24.34 in the Bentley, it shows how to test “switch 3”.
When I test it, it tests appropriately (no continuity) in the closed position, but in the open position, it also tests with no continuity, even though it should have no resistance.
I’m wondering if this might be the main culprit with my idle surging issue?

Also, does anyone have any experience switching from the 2 switch digijet system to the new “upgraded” gowesty branded 1 switch throttle body? I’m considering switching to that system to see if it will solve my issue.
The other reason for my interest in switching to the new throttle body is that I assume it’ll be easier to find replacement parts down the road? Especially considering I’m not confident I’ll even be able to find the full throttle switch that currently tests as bad.

I only have a limited amount of time on some nights after work to work on things, so I apologize for the slow responses to the thread, but I appreciate all of the feedback I’ve gotten so far!

-Jimi
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Have you looked at this yet?

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Here’s my thread on hunting idle. As far as the throttle body compatibility with yours. I don’t think it’s a problem using the later style. The 1.9 wbx 85 model year used the early style then went to the later style used on 2.1 engines. My 85 had a rebuilt late style throttle body. Not sure what was originally on my 85 when new. I did replace it with a another used late style throttle body and my problem has not shown up in 1500 miles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...7a9ab9a8ab

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Here’s my thread on hunting idle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...7a9ab9a8ab

I’ll definitely check out your treads. It seems like there could be a lot of good info in them!

And yes I have watched his videos.
I’ve checked my grounds a couple of times, which I’m pretty sure was one of his main problems along with timing, but it never hurts to check them again!

Thank you for the feedback.

-Jimi
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Here’s my thread on hunting idle.

I just read your thread, was your issue largely solved with the different throttle body and throttle position switch/adjustment?

I mentioned in a previous post that one of my throttle switches isn’t testing correctly. But I have the 2 switch throttle body system.
I might also try disconnecting the O2 sensor like you did to see if that is helping compensate for issues like yours was.

I might ask my father in law for his old throttle body off of his spare engine, but I may also just upgrade to the single switch option since I’m guessing my bad switch isn’t helping me diagnose the issue.

Thank you for the comment!

-Jimi
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Yes, my issue was solved with a different but same style throttle body and switch.

If you have access to a nice loaner throttle body with a switch that is in spec. Try it. Very easy to swap out. I will say both switches checked out to spec on mine but for whatever reason the new to me used one, fixed the idle issue.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

So I’ve had a hard time figuring out exactly where my vacuum leak was coming from, but now I’m pretty confident it’s coming from the AUX air valve.
I made this video showing the issue as well as what happens when I pinch off the hose that comes off of the manifold, as well as the hose that goes to the S-boot.
https://youtu.be/MBN72gWJ0GU

Is this what would happen if the valve was stuck open? For reference, when pinching the hose during warm up, it does the “normal” thing it should, and the RPMs just go down slightly, but right when it gets up to temperature, the issue starts.

Thank you all for your help so far!

-Jimi
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

I have an early 1984 with automatic and AC (no PS), and your vacuum line arrangement is nothing like anything else I’ve seen.

Take a look at Bentley pp. 24.24 to see the original layout. I can post a photo of mine if that would be helpful.

You can use a cigar with a hand transfer pump to locate leaks.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Quote:

Out of curiosity, while your erratic idle is occurring what happens if you remove the oil fill cap? Even just loosen it to break the seal?
Put it back on.......
Now....

What exactly is supposed to happen when you take the oil fill cap off? When I take mine off while running it seems to bog down and almost die. Just curious what a healthy engine is supposed to do?
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Quote:

Out of curiosity, while your erratic idle is occurring what happens if you remove the oil fill cap? Even just loosen it to break the seal?
Put it back on.......
Now....

What exactly is supposed to happen when you take the oil fill cap off? When I take mine off while running it seems to bog down and almost die. Just curious what a healthy engine is supposed to do?
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
I have an early 1984 with automatic and AC (no PS), and your vacuum line arrangement is nothing like anything else I’ve seen.

Take a look at Bentley pp. 24.24 to see the original layout. I can post a photo of mine if that would be helpful.

You can use a cigar with a hand transfer pump to locate leaks.

Yeah, looking at the Bentley, it seems like I have a very odd mashup of both early/late vacuum layouts, which I’ve mentioned in previous posts.
(I say this because I have an “old style” throttle body with 2 ports on it, but I also have one of the idle speed boost valves for the A/C.
It honestly looks like I essentially have the “late” style vacuum minus the new style TB?
Like you I have an automatic with A/C (which the previous owners deleted at some point) and no power steering as well.
I’d imagine going to a purely “early” or “late” version of vacuum would help a bit, because what it shows in the Bentley seems quite different than what I have going on. I’ve been a little skeptical on changing anything too much because I don’t want to mess things up worse than they already are, since at least it’s currently running haha.
For now I think I’m going to check out he Aux air regulator and see if it closes properly or if it’s stuck open (which is my guess based on what happens when I pinch off the hoses coming off of it after it’s up to temp)

I’ll also probably end up completely re-doing my vacuum lines so it matches what’s in the Bentley.

Thank you for your input!
Jimi
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Had same issues, hunting, stuttering
idle, rich running, replaced TB with gowesty's, plenum seal and TPS conversion kit, so much smoother idle, huge improvement. Easy install.
Alika pointed me in that direction, Mahalo Alik's!!!
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
Had same issues, hunting, stuttering
idle, rich running, replaced TB with gowesty's, plenum seal and TPS conversion kit, so much smoother idle, huge improvement. Easy install.
Alika pointed me in that direction, Mahalo Alik's!!!

I’m definitely planning on picking one up as soon as they’re back in stock!
Thank you!

-Jimi
mjosoba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

Informative thread. I’ve definitely got some similar issues to run down. I have a surging idle, and also lots of power loss/missing once warm. I think I have water in fuel. But this is definitely a good post for me!!
JimiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulsing at idle/lower RPMs Reply with quote

mjosoba wrote:
Informative thread. I’ve definitely got some similar issues to run down. I have a surging idle, and also lots of power loss/missing once warm. I think I have water in fuel. But this is definitely a good post for me!!

I’m really happy it could help you out! It’s been a bit of a hunt for me to track down the issue, but I’m pretty confident I’m on the right track now!

I’ll be sure to update the post once I’m able to order the new gowesty TB and get it installed/run new vacuum lines!

-Jimi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: