Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hexie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Hey all. During a total rookie move while attempting to jack my van using the original VW screw style jack, I damaged part of the jack mount area (picture below).

I believe this was caused by not pinning the jack all the way through the mount, so instead of levering it just pinned itself against the bottom of the mount until eventual shearing. I was still able to correct myself and eventually successfully jack using this same port, but should I be worried about any other unforeseen damage I could have caused from jacking like this? Selfishly, I'm hoping I'm not the first to make this mistake, otherwise I would feel very dumb!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Probably should find someone that can weld it back. Then hit it with a little spray paint. Use the opposite side for reference when straightening.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Needs complete replacement as the corners tore. This is an important safety item. Cars can kill if they fall off a jack. Happened to a 24 year old friend of mine. Died.
Hexie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Needs complete replacement as the corners tore. This is an important safety item. Cars can kill if they fall off a jack. Happened to a 24 year old friend of mine. Died.

Or I can just ditch this style jack and use a scissor jack instead that just pushes up on the crossbody? I was never planning to be under the car with this style jack anyway, I was more just concerned about damaging any other part of the structure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Just take a hammer and pound it up against the body, and buy a small hydraulic or screw type bottle jack. store it under one of the front seats. I and many others feel it is far safer when changing a flat to put the bottle jack under the suspension member with the flat and lift it 3 inches to change a tire.

Versus heaving the entire van into a heavy unstable lean for a foot until you've fully unwound the suspension and loaded the suspension on the other side. Which is crazy dangerous by comparison.

A bottle jack can be used in a variety of other ways when stuck, stranded, etc. Just be sure you get a short one that will fit under the suspension member when that tire is flat..
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Needs complete replacement as the corners tore. This is an important safety item.

The factory welds popped. No reason not to straighten and weld back into place. Nothing wrong with carrying another type of jack either.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Hexie wrote:
Or I can just ditch this style jack and use a scissor jack instead that just pushes up on the crossbody?
You can, but to tell you the truth the factory VW jack is remarkably stable when used correctly. I would not trust a scissors or bottle jack because they can tip off so easily. Also with the stock screw-up jack I use it to level the van if parked tilted, and its pretty stable.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

I've painted my factory jacks like this. If orange is visible it's not fully inserted. Granted, if one is attentive when using the jack, as one should always be, this paint isn't necessary but the orange is an extra reminder for my aging brain.

Also, if you use any type of screw jack the screw needs to be lubed. It's scary seeing jacks where the screw broke due to not being oiled.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

I would probably just bend it back to shape and weld it up, well done it should not be a safety issue.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Any pictures of your van? Looks like it's painted pretty cool
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

I beg to differ about a patch up repair. It will be very difficult to V groove those areas where the metal tore and most likely stretched, too say nothing of welding upside down. My friend who died, was not under the car. It rolled off the jack and pinned his mangled arm and without help, he exsanguinated. Remove the old, fab a duplicate of new metal on the bench and securely weld it in place. It wasn't the best design in the first pace and any compromise might cause a problem. If the wheels aren't blocked using the OG jack and points, it is very easy for the car to roll off the jack. Posters are correct. Jacking the suspension requires far less elevation and potential of a problem.

You may be aware of a repair of the existing jack point you make and use something else to change a tire, but the next owner won't.

There are a lot of places corners can be cut, but not safety. That's why we are all so meticulous about fuel lines and fire suppression measures.

Duncan
will5023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Honest question: why does jacking the suspension require less elevation for changing a tire?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Easy, if you are jacking the body, you are allowing the suspension to droop or lower through its full amount of travel , then you are going a bit higher with the Vanagon to get enough space under your flat tire since a fresh , fully filled tire will be larger, and need more room to install than your tire that has shrunk in size with that flat shape.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

If however, you jack on the suspension, no droop or lowering is allowed, and you go up with tire clearance room faster since the suspension isn’t hanging down on you.
If you ever work on long travel suspensions designed for off-roading, this becomes crucial since they have way more movement or travel than a normal vehicle.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I beg to differ about a patch up repair.

The area where the break is has very little force on it in normal use, it just serves to align the jack. Just grind off the old weld and get the bracket reasonable straight and it will be as good as new, no V'ing was done at the factory and none is necessary now.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

If you look at the piece that broke it is not involved in the stress of jacking. The jack does not exert downwards pressure on that piece that I can see. I believe it is there to guide the jack male part into the female frame member part that actually takes the downward load of jacking the bus. Welding the piece back into place should be fine.

Please let me know if I am wrong because I do not want to give bad information on this subject.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
If you look at the piece that broke it is not involved in the stress of jacking. The jack does not exert downwards pressure on that piece that I can see. I believe it is there to guide the jack male part into the female frame member part that actually takes the downward load of jacking the bus. Welding the piece back into place should be fine.

Please let me know if I am wrong because I do not want to give bad information on this subject.
I think that you are correct *only* if the jack is perfectly plumb and the body is motionless.

If the van is rocked at all the pressure transfers to the sides and/or bottom of the jacking sleeve - as it did in the photo! Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

The bracket likely broke because the jack was barely inserted into the bracket loading it in a way it was never designed to handle. As I mentioned above it can easily be welded back to factory strength, doing so is not big deal. This would not be a place for someone who lacks experience to try their hand at welding though. Just do all the prep work yourself and then take it into a reputable shop to get it welded, let a shop to the entire job.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

If the van is rocked at all the pressure transfers to the sides and/or bottom of the jacking sleeve - as it did in the photo! Shocked

The more I think about it the more it seems that skinny piece of steel is intended only as a guide to insert the jack (as mentioned above). Possibly also as a visual cue to help folks find the jack point. I can't imagine expecting that slim piece of steel to keep a 5,000 lb van from moving if gravity is involved.

The steel loop isn't going to keep a van from moving but wheel chocks will.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

Agree with 90% of what has green said. It is really difficult to assess the damage without looking at it in person. It may be as good as OG if welded back in place, but heat is going to be needed to restore the shape, which I wouldn't want to do there as getting one area red hot and not causing a burn issue nearby could be a problem. Without actually seeing it, my rec is still grind it off and replace it with new metal. Weld heat is different than general heat needed to reshape the piece in situ and the surrounding area can be cooled.

Duncan
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage to Jacking Mount While Jacking Reply with quote

In addition, the jack is supposed to have a rubber bumper contact on top that with a little pressure stabilizes it against sideways motion. When used properly, and this takes a bit of experience, the van is quite solid. Use the jack to level the van while camping to get used to its capability. Not recommended for energetic van schtuppers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: