Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electronic ignition for fuel injection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allanmcclard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

Has anyone converted their fuel injected bus to electronic ignition because jbugs told me that they don't make the electronic ignition for the fuel injected motor ?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

There's a complex explanation involving wave lengths and stuff, but it boils down to the electronic module speaking with a Chinese accent that the German ECU can't quite understand.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

I put a Pertronix in a client’s ‘78 FI 2L Westy 8 years ago and it still runs great to this day. The ignition module I installed apparently speaks binary.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

My Bus still has points, but the next time it's time for a new set. I plan to go with the Pertronix replacement.

I've heard great things about Pertronix from a myriad of people.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

I reverted my '76 from electronic to points because I like to "know and see" the spark is getting that far and if they fail, I can see they've failed.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

allanmcclard wrote:
Has anyone converted their fuel injected bus to electronic ignition because jbugs told me that they don't make the electronic ignition for the fuel injected motor ?

Yes, and I make a great deal of money every year troubleshooting FI buses that don't run right… Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

from what has been discussed in this forum, it is a hit and miss situation. The ancient FI system we have, some 45 years old now, uses the wave signals the points and coil create. Sometimes electronic ignitions don't work with the FI system. A system that might work perfectly in one bus won't run another bus. Some have speculated that is due to different tolerances in the system as the bus and electronic parts like ECU have aged. I run points and it is no big thing to change them if the bus gets driven 12,000 - 15,000 miles. That was the sweet spot for point longevity on cars and VW's I have owned with points. We are driving 45 - 50 year old antiques.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

I have a pertronix and have zero issues since I’ve installed it some six years ago. Just make sure you get the right one for your distributor.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I have a pertronix and have zero issues since I’ve installed it some six years ago. Just make sure you get the right one for your distributor.

I am not disagreeing with this post above, but history here says that the electronic ignition that works perfectly in a FI bus Tuesday may not work next year on the same date, or it may work fine for the life of the bus. VW made some changes in the ECU when they went to electronic ignitions in the 1979 California model. YMMV , and swapping a set of points is very easy. With an electronic ignition there is still distributor maintenance that must be performed. They aren't like modern distributorless systems. My understanding is that when the coil voltage collapses it sends a 200V to 400V spike on the primary side while it is creating a 20,000 to 40,000 volt spark on the secondary that goes to the spark plug. If for example an electronic ignition and new coil has a higher primary voltage spike, and different waveform, it can fool or damage the ECU. It seems to be some people have no issues while others have issues using the same model electronic ignitions. One cannot say "I have no issues therefore you will be Ok too." The correct statement is, "mine works fine, try it and see how it works on your bus," or "I tried it and it didn't work on my bus but it might work on your bus so try it and see."
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
allanmcclard wrote:

Yes, and I make a great deal of money every year troubleshooting FI buses that don't run right… Wink

Robbie

You are number three in Wikipedia’s wanker list behind

1 Sacher family
2 Martin Shrekli
3 Robbie
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

If I remember right it was Notchboy that removed his electronic points. He has a late bus that had a high power miss. Going back to points solved the problem.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

78 stock Westy. Added a Pertronix module several years ago, works perfectly for several thousand miles. I’m somewhat annal and take long camping trips so purchased a spare identical distributor, added new points, cap & condenser. Installed, timed etc. leaving the clamp on the spare so it’s plug & play on the side of the road. So far so good.
Also added one on my 6 volt 356 that has also worked perfectly for several years, yes have a spare dizzy as well.
Be sure you get the correct unit for your distributor. talked to Pertronix help desk on the 6 volt unit and they said it was correct. When it showed up, instruction clearly said not for six volt systems. Had to send back to Amazon & get the older unit. Love Amazon return system.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

I had electronic ignition for several years on my 78 until a problem developed. I had to put in the spare distributor with points to solve the problem. That was two years ago and the points are still in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allanmcclard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

Yeah the odd thing im finding is they are saying that they dont even make the electronic ignition for my distributor which it sounds like some of you obviously had it on your bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

allanmcclard wrote:
Yeah the odd thing im finding is they are saying that they dont even make the electronic ignition for my distributor which it sounds like some of you obviously had it on your bus.

It could be that changes made over the years make it so the newer electronic units are more likely to give problems with the fuel injection than the older units. It could also be that differences in the spark plugs, wires, rotor, etc might cause some systems to work better than others.

If you really want to run a pointless ignition setup with your FI, you could get a variety pack of capacitors and starting at the smaller end of the scale try adding them between the #1 terminal on the coil and a ground, and just increase their size until the fuel injection is happy with the signal it is getting, but don't go to so large a capacitor as to degrade the spark.

For myself points give very good results, I typically go about 20K miles on a new set, then file them down and get another 20K miles out of them. If you want to run your plugs until the center electrodes are nice and rounded off, you will not get this kind of mileage out of your points though.
allanmcclard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

So is there a pertronix ignition that they make specifically for the FI that you know of ?
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

Bought mine from Amazon, put in type of vehicle, make, model, engine size & year. They will tell what Pertronix to order. Or just call Pertronix but have your distributor number handy if it’s not original.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
Bought mine from Amazon, put in type of vehicle, make, model, engine size & year. They will tell what Pertronix to order. Or just call Pertronix but have your distributor number handy if it’s not original.

The answer is not going to change. The problem is the L-Jet FI. It was designed to use the specific electrical signal that ignition points and coil make. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the ECU can't follow the signal from an electronic ignition because it is different. Some people put one in, model 1847 and it works fine, they never have a problem. Other people try it and it doesn't work. Someone else tries it, life is good then one day it starts being weird. The ECU was not designed to handle electronic ignitions until the 1979 California model. Example of what happens when people call Pertronix:

Mark70baja wrote:
Electronic is not an option for those who want to keep the fuel injection. I just went through all this with the good folks at Pertronix. They don't recommend "ANY" of their conversion kits or distributors for the 2.0 Air cooled with FI. The parts will not speak together properly. Computer interface problems.

Mark70baja wrote:
Sorry, but the guys at Pertronix say "Don't do it." After speaking with the folks at Pertronix I called Van Depot and several others to advise them of the mistake they're making. If they are still advertising them for the 2.0 with fuel injection, they are wrong. Please do yourself a big favor and contact Pertonix before purchasing. Their contact information is on their website.

I've searched though the different sections here, as well as about 10-years of old Hot VWs magazines. Have not been able to find a single 2.0 Air Cooled engine running the Pertronix with fuel injection. It's my understanding that the California models came from VW with fuel injection and stock electronic ignitions, so it is possible.

This is what I mean when I say waveform. An ignition with points and one with an electronic ignition make a different pattern. The L-jet ECUs have trouble sometimes with the pattern the electronic ignition makes. One bus is fine and goes 200,000 miles perfectly. Another won't even run. Another works fine for awhile and then starts mis-firing. The signal from the coil and points is what L-jet uses to know when to inject fuel. If it can't read it properly the FI fails to work right. If you want a guaranteed solution then you will need to also upgrade to a modern FI system too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Slip356 wrote:

The answer is not going to change. The problem is the L-Jet FI. It was designed to use the specific electrical signal that ignition points and coil make. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the ECU can't follow the signal from an electronic ignition because it is different. Some people put one in, model 1847 and it works fine, they never have a problem. Other people try it and it doesn't work. Someone else tries it, life is good then one day it starts being weird. The ECU was not designed to handle electronic ignitions until the 1979 California model. Example of what happens when people call Pertronix:

Mark70baja wrote:
Electronic is not an option for those who want to keep the fuel injection. I just went through all this with the good folks at Pertronix. They don't recommend "ANY" of their conversion kits or distributors for the 2.0 Air cooled with FI. The parts will not speak together properly. Computer interface problems.

Mark70baja wrote:
Sorry, but the guys at Pertronix say "Don't do it." After speaking with the folks at Pertronix I called Van Depot and several others to advise them of the mistake they're making. If they are still advertising them for the 2.0 with fuel injection, they are wrong. Please do yourself a big favor and contact Pertonix before purchasing. Their contact information is on their website.

I've searched though the different sections here, as well as about 10-years of old Hot VWs magazines. Have not been able to find a single 2.0 Air Cooled engine running the Pertronix with fuel injection. It's my understanding that the California models came from VW with fuel injection and stock electronic ignitions, so it is possible.

This is what I mean when I say waveform. An ignition with points and one with an electronic ignition make a different pattern. The L-jet ECUs have trouble sometimes with the pattern the electronic ignition makes. One bus is fine and goes 200,000 miles perfectly. Another won't even run. Another works fine for awhile and then starts mis-firing. The signal from the coil and points is what L-jet uses to know when to inject fuel. If it can't read it properly the FI fails to work right. If you want a guaranteed solution then you will need to also upgrade to a modern FI system too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think there is a lot to what you are saying....but its not "JUST" an incorrect waveform. As others have noted....over the years I have installed pertronix in just about the full range of years of L-jet type 4 buses.....and they worked just fine.

However....this is not saying they were simply a drop-in. They worked just fine after setting them up and tweaking them in.

I would say they were MORE "SENSITIVE" to having just about everything set up PERFECTLY. And...this is not just basic timing. I have found that this goes just as much for D-jet and carbed cars. Its NOT a drop-in on most engines. It can be on some....and I feel that for those that it is a drop in and run.... they are just getting lucky.

First....the Pertronix and compufire systems are not perfect in manufacturing tolerances....I have seen no less than six variations in the machining detail to the area on top of the points cam on the distributor shaft...that I have seen over the years (there are probably more). This can affect the fit of the magnet ring on pertronix and the magnet disc on compufire. I have seen this across all engine types....1, 2, 3, and 4.

Also...add in a wide range of detail in the manufacturing of the points plates.....and you have a wide range of adjustment issues to the gap between module and magnets. Distance and angle matter. Voltage and wire connector quality also matters.

Also.....across many years, manufacturing of distributors and individual components in numerous countries.....and the same baseline ignitor kits fitting numerous vehicles.....each kit part number is kind of generic. I find all kinds of issues getting a given correct part number of kit to fit and work exactly the same ....from engine to engine in the same type of vehicle.

Back to the signal issue.....yes the signal from the Pertronix and compufire is a little different....but not that much. Its closer to a real square wave...sharper with less fall off than points. But it is a little different.

I think the issue of why one works for one owner and not another....is only partially about the waveform of the signal.....and also partially about the signal QUALITY.....affected by gap and angle adjustment, voltage, connections....and who knows what differences on top of that in the coils.

Not to mention.....you cannot use solid core wires with Pertronix. You cannot have excessive stacked up resistance in wires, rotor and plugs. All of this matters. It makes a small difference in signal into big differences in signal.

Ray
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic ignition for fuel injection Reply with quote

Just put a 123 distributor (ideally, the Bluetooth model) and get rid of all that hacked electro mechanical garbage running a stock distributor with some chinese module.

It has a MAP sensor, a Hall sensor and operates perfectly and simply.

You can use this map I made over a period of many hours of testing.
(shout out to my friend John Connolly of ACN for working with me on the base map)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfyro0c26xr1aq9/metahacker%20VW%20Type%204%202L%20Tune.123?dl=0

And you can use all that precision and immediate responsiveness of the digital control to tune it like a modern EFI and get your AFM set up to run 16-17:1 on lean cruise (which requires you to really pump some serious vacuum advance in there to run correctly).
16-17:1 will run cooler than rich or stoic, and improve MPG.

As a bonus, you can monitor your approx. oil temperature (using the 123 shaft temp reading), vacuum, voltage and RPM using the app...

I am sure there will be some haters who will say to stick to points, or stick to an that electro-mechanical piece of shit run with weights and springs and a rubber vacuum diaphragm. That is fine. There really isn't any advantage to engine operation running something like that. But to each their own YMMV and all that. I am personally not a fan but I am also a "tech guy" and comfortable setting up custom EFI, and you know.... opinions are like assholes.

The 123 with a well tuned AFM and a properly functioning AAR, TS2 and TTS/CSV will run just like a brand new modern EFI system... all except for over-run fuel cut... but you don't really need that except to save MPG.

It can do 16-17:1 cruise, 12-13:1 WOT .. and idle perfectly at ~14:1.. and have all the proper ignition timing values to do so, without any compromises.

Just get a Wideband like the "PE" bluetooth one and start tuning that AFM.... and it can be basically perfect.

The late Bus L-Jet system is great. The distributor is the only technology laggard in the whole setup.

If you look at the 1980s 911 with the 3.2L - the US late Bay window is basically running the same setup. Same flapper door AFM and all that shit, similar looking airbox. The 911 "Motronic" is just our L-Jet with a flywheel crank sensor magnet on it to run the ignition control system that they added. Clearly, Porsche had similar sentiments about that old fashioned distributor. The L-Jet is a great system, and we are lucky to have it. In Europe, they still used carburetors on these buses... but the L Jet and the mechanical distributor are not the most appropriate match, albeit stock and working fine on most buses... it is really the only area where you can see some nice improvements in how the engine management is implemented.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: