Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it really that hard to ship a part?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

As of recent, I’ve been a little frustrated combing the classifieds/groups. I’ve found a lot of parts I’ve been looking for, am willing to pay the seller’s asking price, but they refuse to ship. I get the hassle of shipping a trunk lid, engine, transaxle, or floorpan, but why is it so difficult to ship something that will fit in a USPS flat rate box like a pair of front signal housings? Anyone with a printer, and a USPS/UPS account can print a shipping label to tape on a box, and have it picked up from their home. One recent ad was someone letting some cherished items go from being out of work. I’ve been in that situation, and was going to throw them a bone on top of their asking price, but they simply were not interested in shipping the items. For those not into shipping, can someone enlighten me why some are so dead set against it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I ship using USPS flat rate boxes almost daily. Click-n-ship makes it fool proof and since the cost is flat rate, the only variable is the insurance.

The buyer gets a tracking number so both parties know where it is.

It's not hard, some people are just lazy.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I've had that same thought whenever I come across something of interest in the classifieds and then read "local pickup only". Doesn't make sense to me to narrow your perspective market, especially given how easy it is to ship these days. That said, I've had great success with all the buying experiences I've had so far through the Samba classifieds, including international purchases.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

And there are some VW shops that won't ship USPS at all. Especially to those stationed overseas and have a APO or FPO address.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I ship using USPS flat rate boxes almost daily. Click-n-ship makes it fool proof and since the cost is flat rate, the only variable is the insurance.

This is my basic opinion, along with:
Some people do not have time due to their work schedule to drop stuff off and/or first get a box, packing tape, etc., etc.
- They want the easiest and simplest transaction possible, which is an in-person transaction and pickup.
-- This is weird to me because it's easier for me to pack and drop something off than the time and hassle of having to meet up.

There are tons of people that cannot figure out click-n-ship stuff and they don't want to learn how to either.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I ship packages often, but not everyone can mail as easy as others. Some live in rural locations where the post office is not an easy trip. Many people that don't mail often don't want a USPS account. And keeping up with ever changing procedures and online sites can be difficult for many. In Vermont, we have a lot of small one person post offices with very odd hours that make it difficult. If I drive the extra distance to go to a larger post office, then I deal with long lines.
I make it work,but I'm just saying I get why some people don't want the hassle.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I also live a ways out of town, so Click-n-Ship is great. I am NOT great on the computer, so if I can do it... There is also a UPS shipping location right on the way to work. Print off the label at home and only have to drop it off. As stated before, to limit your sales scope seems silly.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Some people do not have time due to their work schedule to drop stuff off and/or first get a box, packing tape, etc., etc.
- They want the easiest and simplest transaction possible, which is an in-person transaction and pickup.
-- This is weird to me because it's easier for me to pack and drop something off than the time and hassle of having to meet up.

There are tons of people that cannot figure out click-n-ship stuff and they don't want to learn how to either.

Amen! I honestly can't stand when I see ads and people say "Pickup only" and justify it by saying they don't want to waste time by having to ship it out.

You're on your own schedule if you ship things out, and I would rather ship things out than deal with someone in person. Dealing in person means I have to not only find a time that works for the interested party, but also for myself. I then have to give myself a time window in case person is late, and pretty much hang around until they come by... only to potentially have them not even want it. Imagine having to do all of this for a $30 part.

Also, the part of having complete strangers (usually) coming to meet you at your house isn't the greatest of ideas. That can be avoided by meeting somewhere in public but then you're stuck lugging around whatever you're selling.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Amen! I honestly can't stand when I see ads and people say "Pickup only" and justify it by saying they don't want to waste time by having to ship it out.

You're on your own schedule if you ship things out, and I would rather ship things out than deal with someone in person. Dealing in person means I have to not only find a time that works for the interested party, but also for myself. I then have to give myself a time window in case person is late, and pretty much hang around until they come by... only to potentially have them not even want it. Imagine having to do all of this for a $30 part.

Also, the part of having complete strangers (usually) coming to meet you at your house isn't the greatest of ideas. That can be avoided by meeting somewhere in public but then you're stuck lugging around whatever you're selling.

However, the inverse of this is you have a part (one that doesn’t fit in the cute little boxes), the buyer wants a shipping quote, you pack the f%#ing item up, go to the local USPS to get a quote, the shithead either doesn’t respond so you get to schlep the damn thing back & then asks you to include it in the price of the part or doesn’t want it because it cost more to ship than the part itself cost.

After a few times of this, you won’t GAF either.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I have a late model wiper assembly i've not sold since I haven't found a box for it. When I do, i'll list it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

My prices for items always includes USPS Priority shipping for shipping to the US as that's the easiest way. I may lose a few bucks here and there but it's not worth the hassle of figuring out shipping costs.

If it's international, I take it to the local DHL shipping place (usually a small shot that sells other stuff or even an Edeka) and get a quote.

Yes boxes are a pain, we usually have a collection of random boxes, I just sold my Manx Sidewinder and happened to keep an Empi exhaust box that it fit in.

Most go in the flat rate USPS boxes, but I'm not a business, just a guy with too much random stuff.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Glenn wrote:

However, the inverse of this is you have a part (one that doesn’t fit in the cute little boxes), the buyer wants a shipping quote, you pack the f%#ing item up, go to the local USPS to get a quote, the shithead either doesn’t respond so you get to schlep the damn thing back & then asks you to include it in the price of the part or doesn’t want it because it cost more to ship than the part itself cost.

After a few times of this, you won’t GAF either.

I suppose, but it's not difficult to get a shipping quote. It can be done with things you probably already have around the house. A box, a tape measurer, and a scale.

Measure the size of the box, you don't even have to pack it/seal it if you don't want to.

Weigh it, or guess.

Tell the person that shipping will be a few bucks more than what your online quote said, just to play it safe.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I have a late model wiper assembly i've not sold since I haven't found a box for it. When I do, i'll list it.

Ha, I do that too.

If I get a large /sturdy box in the normal course of things, that is when I sell something bigger.
Sometimes I go looking if I really want to sell something but I'm lazy about that now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

... it's not difficult to get a shipping quote. It can be done with things you probably already have around the house. A box, a tape measurer, and a scale.

Measure the size of the box, you don't even have to pack it/seal it if you don't want to.

Weigh it, or guess.

Tell the person that shipping will be a few bucks more than what your online quote said, just to play it safe.

This is what I do on big stuff. Guess a bit high on weight too because if you mess up and extra packing makes it a pound more or something, often the price jumps quite a bit.

If the shipping is FAR less after they pay and I actually pack it, I do a Paypal refund or throw $5 in the box or something.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Don't your courier companies offer home collection?

Seems like all the ones in the UK (even Royal Mail now) offer it.

A positive side-effect of Covid over here is that most of them offer the service for not much more than taking it to a drop-off location.

For Hermes (terrible courier company, but cheap), it's only 60p extra for home collection. We have a drop-off location 300m from our house but a couple of weeks ago I got them to collect a parcel because the weather was foul. I figured for 60p, they could get wet rather than me. Laughing Embarassed Embarassed

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Compared to the UK our postal service is like monkeys in cages. That being said it is a big diverse country with much harder logistics.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Some people have their preferences.
They don’t want to go through the hassle to put it in a box which they may not have.
Maybe you just need to sweeten the pot a little.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

All i can say is as long as they put in the ad "local pickup only" then i wouldn't reply to it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I have a whole different opinion. I'm not scared of putting something in a box and shipping it. My issue is I refuse to use Paypal or any other electronic money transaction. I don't want the hassles of cashing a check or money order either. I want cold green cash in my hand.

Lowes, Home depot, Staples, Office Depot all sell empty boxes. You can take an item to UPS Store or FedEx store and they will box it up and ship it for you.

It's not worth my time and effort to fuck around with anything that isn't worth at least $25 anything less gets thrown in the trash.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I always keep boxes and packing material from Amazon or anywhere else I order from. It makes it handy to have a bunch of different sizes readily available to ship parts.
People who only want to sell locally are probably better off listing on their local Craigslist I would think rather than a site like this where probably 99% of interested buyers are not in their town. Although, when I list on my local buy and sell sites, I very often get requests to ship all over the place. That’s fine with me. Sometimes parts are hard to find locally for them, so I’ll gladly box it up and mail it.
I often get a quick quote on the different shipping websites, and more often than not, they are within a few dollars of the actual price. For the most part, being 1 lb off of 3” on the package size makes no difference. Sometimes in $3 ahead and sometimes I lose $3. But it’s not a big deal really.
I also get fairly good at just estimating by looking at an item, and more often than not, my listings include shipping in the price. It’s quicker and easier than doing a bunch of back and forth figuring it out. If I eat $10 more on the shipping than I expected, it’s no different than if the buyer had offered $10 less for the item. I generally won’t bother to list an item if the margin is so low, a shipping miscalculation would put me in the hole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: