Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it really that hard to ship a part?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
No, it's not that hard to ship a part, just do it.

90% off the parts in this pic were shipped:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where would this hobby be if no one shipped parts. :?

how do you ship the large parts you are posting? What is the cost ?
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

Hey All

Interesting opinions. I'm finding the cost of shipping items to be expensive and inconsistent. I work in a Music shop and we ship band instruments everywhere. Shipping anything big is very expensive, and shipping damage is a huge problem for the business.

When selling VW parts anything to large to fit in a flat rate box is very expensive. Shipping price for anything over 20 pounds and 3 cubic feet is between $120 and $180. The 'estimate applications' can be misleading and flaky. I've advertised parts only to find the shipping costs were much greater than the value of the parts.

Painful as a seller and a buyer.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
Shipping anything big is very expensive, and shipping damage is a huge problem for the business.

I'm retired from a delivery Co. 95% of damaged shipments was because of poorly packaged items not from mishandling. Amazon was very horrible about packaging items safely. A box must be 100% full. You can not put a round basketball in a rectangular box without filling in the empty space with packing. Wadded up newspaper makes great packing material. I tell everybody if you put it in a box and then you can not stand on the box you did not package it well enough.

With all the BS from COVID and fuel prices going up shipping charges are rising and delivery times are getting longer and there is nothing we can do about it.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it really that hard to ship a part? Reply with quote

I can’t say I ship a lot of big stuff, because as mentioned, it’s usually a lot of money. But for smaller stuff, I find costs to be pretty consistent no matter where I’m shipping to. For a shoe box size, or even double shoe box size, I’ll usually pay anywhere from $20-$30 to anywhere in Canada or the USA. When I list parts, I almost always include shipping in the price. It saves so much back and forth emailing and wasted time. Sometimes I pocket a few dollars more than I expected, and sometimes I lose a few dollars when it comes to shipping. But my margin is never so tight that it’s a all-out financial loss for me.

Like vwracerdave says, it needs to be packed properly. Some people package things like it’s the only item that will be loaded onto the truck / train / boat / airplane. Give me a break. Have you ever seen the back of a FedEx truck? It’s stacked to the roof. And that means packages are on the bottom of that pile. I use so much packing material, and tape the box so well, I would guarantee I’ve never had a box crush or break open for anything I’ve ever shipped. Taking the extra 2 mins to do that will save hours of phone calls and pissed off buyers when their item arrives damaged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: