Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 standard
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Some of you may recognize this bus, to my knowledge its lived in Washington state, SoCal and ocean city MaryLand. Its found a permanent home here in North Carolina as of November 2019, unfortunately its taken me this long to get a thread started! I couldn't be happier to be the caretaker of this bus, progress has been made slowly but surely. Since the purchase date i finished school, bought a project house, and started a new career all before the pandemic hit. The bus needed a fair amount of work when i got it and the house kinda took priority...

Better late than never!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Time to dig up some more photos of the work done so far, in the meantime if anyone recognizes this bus i would love to know more of its story! Cheers
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

That’s a super nice bus from the looks of it. It looks pretty solid and complete from what’s visible in the pics. That rear bumper looks delish..hope you’re not repainting it. Looks like it’s had some previous work done to the long rocker. What’s it need? Just mechanicals ?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Great looking bus! Hard to beat a walkthru. Six popouts too. I see it has a 12 volt sticker. What does the M-code plate show?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

What's the extra gauge in the dash above the wiper switch? If the door rubber in the A pillar is original that's a great photo of how/where the joint was made! Also, does it look like the accelerator pedal was originally painted white on the top side? That's how it appeared in my 66 standard but seems photos I've seen of others they're all black.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Bet your mailman is not too happy!
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Cool! I saw that bus in OC lots, it checks a lot of the boxes for me. Looking forward to the progress.

Now, how about some pictures of that house! It looks like a huge project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Nice original looking bus.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Nice Connor! Looking forward to seeing progress on this one.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

What a great grab, keep us posted and let us know the story!
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
That’s a super nice bus from the looks of it. It looks pretty solid and complete from what’s visible in the pics. That rear bumper looks delish..hope you’re not repainting it. Looks like it’s had some previous work done to the long rocker. What’s it need? Just mechanicals ?

Thanks man, i plan to preserve the original paint as much as possible, it needs some blending but i plan to roll it as is for awhile! The rocker repair was done on the bus when it surfaced in Washington state.

It needed just about everything redone mechanically and the usual cosmetic issues that come with a 55 year old bus. Im thankful the previous owner garage kept this bus, its probably saved the paint considering he lived on the water in Ocean City.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Middle Seat!!! "sigh"

Very nice Bus
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Great looking bus! Hard to beat a walkthru. Six popouts too. I see it has a 12 volt sticker. What does the M-code plate show?

M code shows it was delivered to LA, walk thru, 6 pop outs and a full length middle seat. Wish it came with the seat!!
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
What's the extra gauge in the dash above the wiper switch? If the door rubber in the A pillar is original that's a great photo of how/where the joint was made! Also, does it look like the accelerator pedal was originally painted white on the top side? That's how it appeared in my 66 standard but seems photos I've seen of others they're all black.

I believe the white on the gas pedal is overspray from the floor patch, someone hacked in a temp gauge... Ive been getting some practice tig welding at work, the dash will get fixed when im more confident in my skills..
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
Bet your mailman is not too happy!

Ha! my mom scored that box from an estate sale, it was lined with vintage glass license plate reflectors.. score!!
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Cool! I saw that bus in OC lots, it checks a lot of the boxes for me. Looking forward to the progress.

Now, how about some pictures of that house! It looks like a huge project!

The house pictured actually belongs to my folks, its where i lived when i bought the bus last year. February of last year is when i moved into this 1900s mill home in Downtown Concord. The previous owners bred cats, dogs, coy fish and reptiles. As you could imagine the smell left behind was unreal, its taken almost a year of ripping up floors and knocking out walls but its 99 percent gone..

The bus pictured was sold to fund the house purchase, that bus was hardest to let go if considering i grew up in it. However the house has put me miles ahead in life and i get to stay in the community i was raised in. With property values skyrocketing in my neighborhood it was now or never... Adulting sucks

Anyways the first thing i did for the house was actually for my bus Very Happy a massive carport to keep that OG paint out of the weather until i can build a shop

Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Before i purchased this bus i was deep into a 1958 panel project, when my buddy Grayson gave me the heads up on this bus i immediately listed it for sale in our local vw facebook group and it sold in less than 24 hours!

If you caught the build thread i started for the 58 you'll see i started collecting parts to lower the bus. The suspension stayed with me and almost immediately went into the 66

I have to thank Colby Oakes for answering all my questions regarding suspension and how to do it right. We did some trading and he built a narrowed beam for me, he showed me the process of installing the leaf springs and got me set up to install my new center pin and spindles.

The spindles were dropped by Aaron at widefive, it goes without saying he's a real stand up dude! the information provided on his website was extremely helpful when installing them

Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

I had my spring plates done by the best in the business, Womacks Bug Vans and more! Mike has been a massive help with everything on this bus so far, answering every late night tech question i have. Jobless in the pandemic with more free time than usual, i was able to get my bus to his shop where he allowed me to use his lift, tools, and years of experience to get the ball rolling!

Another shoutout to Mike Roundhouse in Ohio who gifted me a complete set of t3 brakes, VW folks are the best!

The 4.12 trans was built by Jeff Huber in Charlotte NC, i finished up the axles and my father and i installed the trans in the driveway at my house before i brought it to Womacks shop..

When i bought the bus the PO kept the original wheels Sad but mannys66 hooked it up with these BRMs at Bulli 26 in Daytona Cool

Its a whole new bus now! i'm humbled by the support i have behind building this old bus, my parents have always supported my passion and my friends have done the same. i've grown up watching the split forums on the samba and i'm happy they are still alive and i'm able to contribute. Time to get back to work!!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

^^Bus looks sweet!!! Congratulations on the house too!
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Pulled the bay window rear seats out, cleaned up the cargo floor and put my full length z bed in, i plan on building a jump seat and curtain rods for it next..

Needs reupholstered but it'll do for now! sleeps terrible but damn it felt good to spend a night in my own bus again. I went camping almost every weekend with my riviera, i cant wait to get back to it!
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 standard Reply with quote

Nice job. That OG paint will buff out nicely.

As far as your urine smell from the previous owner of your house......get Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer from Petmsart. The stuff is magical. My bus was full of mice nests and a gallon did wonders to get rid of the smell.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: