Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

My new to me 2003MV has a bizarre problem. I constantly have various size pieces of decomposing foam rubber blowing out of the defroster and air conditioning vents they end up all over the interior of the car. My left side drivers vent is now about halfway blocked with chunks of foam rubber from inside the vent ducting. I’m assuming this is a common problem is there a solution for this. I’m thinking of the in-house ductwork cleaning where they send a snake up that rattles around in your vents to clean out accumulated Whatever. Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

Congratulations, you get to remove the dash. That's blend door foam that needs to be replaced. It's a good idea to replace the heater core and blower motor while you're in there. It's not a terribly difficult job.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Congratulations, you get to remove the dash. That's blend door foam that needs to be replaced. It's a good idea to replace the heater core and blower motor while you're in there. It's not a terribly difficult job.

Agreed- job isn't bad but you are stripping it back to the firewall- the whole dash and all ducts come out- I was quoted $1100 for it and that was more than enough to tackle it myself Lots of write ups and how to videos on YouTube
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

It is not to bad, bag and lable all the bits..

I got most of my parts back together

Be real careful with that clock spring when you remove it.

Silver HVAC tape worked great for me for the vents
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

I am having this happen too. Found out in the desert this last summer when it was 110 outside and a cool 90 inside with the AC on full blast. Turns out the air divider has holes that are covered with foam. The foam deteriorates and blows out the vents. This allows the hot and cold air to mix reducing the effectiveness of the AC system.

There is one account from CAVEVAN, of being able to remove the lower center console. Using cut squares of foil duct sealing tape and reaching your arm up and sealing the holes. I am going to try this route before I take my dash apart to the firewall.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

When I did mine, I first applied the foil tape, and then some foam. If the foam fails, then the tape should keep the air from mixing.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

Just chiming in to say I was able to solve this problem in my van by going in through the center console. 10 minutes to remove the screws. An hour or two to stare at the problem and figure out what/where the blower door is by feel. Ten minutes to apply foil tape and another ten to button it back up. If you don’t have fairly thin hands and arms it might require a helper. Worth a shot if you don’t otherwise need to pull the dash. Solved my problems for both defrost and AC.
MrPulldown wrote:

There is one account from CAVEVAN, of being able to remove the lower center console. Using cut squares of foil duct sealing tape and reaching your arm up and sealing the holes. I am going to try this route before I take my dash apart to the firewall.

64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

sounds right..

If you dont have to replace your heater core it can be done...

Painful and neeeding skinny hands
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

I did the "cut the hole in the side of the air box" method on our 2002 EV-C. I was 66 at the time, not too limber and my hands will never be described as "thin". It got done. Check the Riata pages on FB for the write up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

I sent an email out to Cavevan and they responded saying they always pull the dash off and replace the heater core at the same time. Appreciate the tip on the Riata Facebook group I’ll head over there and see if I can figure out where it might be

Brian in Austin
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I did the "cut the hole in the side of the air box" method on our 2002 EV-C. I was 66 at the time, not too limber and my hands will never be described as "thin". It got done. Check the Riata pages on FB for the write up.

There are several Rialta/Euro van groups on Facebook. Do you know which group it was on and would I need to just scroll down through all the posts to find it or do they have some kind of an archive?

Brian
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

Facebook page is Riata owners group of America.
Or search eurovan with blend doors with foam.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

There are several Rialta/Euro van groups on Facebook. Do you know which group it was on and would I need to just scroll down through all the posts to find it or do they have some kind of an archive?

Brian

Facebook is designed to keep you on the site so they can sell your eyes, so they never make archives or things to save you time

In a few words , the difference between a well-regulated/ moderated forum necessary for the security of the information, the right to never go on Facebook shall not be infringed.

Here’s a good link with pictures

You can definitely put a small hole in the side and then evaluate the blend door with a borescope to see if you want to pull the dash or work through the cutout

http://www.rialtainfo.com/vw/vw_images/FoamSummary.pdf
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

sgirard wrote:
Just chiming in to say I was able to solve this problem in my van by going in through the center console. 10 minutes to remove the screws. An hour or two to stare at the problem and figure out what/where the blower door is by feel. Ten minutes to apply foil tape and another ten to button it back up. If you don’t have fairly thin hands and arms it might require a helper. Worth a shot if you don’t otherwise need to pull the dash. Solved my problems for both defrost and AC.

Did you have to cut a hole in the box? Do you glue it back together?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
I sent an email out to Cavevan and they responded saying they always pull the dash off and replace the heater core at the same time. Appreciate the tip on the Riata Facebook group I’ll head over there and see if I can figure out where it might be

Brian in Austin

I am sure that is what they do now as a full service shop that needs to get things done right. But back when he was "extremjeepin" he would take more short cuts.

I tried going back and finding that post, I think it was on VW vortex, but can not. Did not try too hard. But it was similar to the above account. Go through the lower center apply tape, be done.

I am still trying to figure out if cutting a hole is necessary.
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
bcolins wrote:

Brian in Austin

I am sure that is what they do now as a full service shop that needs to get things done right. But back when he was "extremjeepin" he would take more short cuts.

I tried going back and finding that post, I think it was on VW vortex, but can not. Did not try too hard. But it was similar to the above account. Go through the lower center apply tape, be done.

I am still trying to figure out if cutting a hole is necessary.

I haven’t been able to turn up the video I used as inspiration to seal up the blend door but there was no cutting involved.

Edit: might have been this one. Will give you a sense of how to access the blend door. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=EKPWZck5RXo
64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

I did it! This past week I rewatched Thomas' videos, reread all the articles and forums, made notes on process and procedures, and then removed my dash.

I laid out all the parts and screws on two large tables in the relative positions they were in the van and labeled them. My wife documented the process with photos as I worked, taking close ups of what I was doing.

It really is a straight forward task. I worked slowly and deliberately; it took me an afternoon, then I had the blender box on the workbench. It will be easy to re-foam the flaps and other places where foam has perished with the blender box out, and the dash off I can replace lots of other bits of perished foam in the vents and along the dash-windshield edge.

I'll get the various bits of foam next week and start the next step, but I'm glad that, after years of procrastination and worry about this, I'm well under way with this project that is much easier and straightforward than I expected.

I'm glad I decided to go about solving the "foam" problem this way.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

What year was this T4 Steve?

Can you share the pictures in the gallery or add to this thread, please ?
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
What year was this T4 Steve?

Can you share the pictures in the gallery or add to this thread, please ?

My van is a 1992 Eurovan CV - the Canadian variant with the full Westfalia camper. It has the AAF engine with a manual transmission.

So, my van has no airbags or other complications found on later model years.

I have lots of photos, snaps to help my memory on reassembly, but too many to post in TheSamba Gallery. Here's a link to them, but if this fails in time, please send me a message and I'll send you a link, but do keep in mind these were not made as a training guide.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-wxJfXD

Currently I'm trying to find a couple of parts I'd like to exchange before putting things back together. And I need to buy the various foams I need. I decided not to order foam and other parts until I had the dash apart and the blender box out so I could sort out just what I needed.
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pieces of decomposing foam constantly blowing out of AC vents Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the re-foaming of the blender box. It went better than I expected. I'm pleased I decided to remove the dash for access. It wasn't as difficult a task as I anticipated and worried over.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: