Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa set up help
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

I've just purchased some original okrasa heads & possibly obtaining original manifolds/carbs/filter for my 36hp 56 ghia engine. I'm looking at getting the 80mm big bore heads & barrels, okrasa crank & cam. Do I require any other items & what modification will I need to carry out. Will I need any barrel spacers under heads or at the bottom of the barrels. New to this set up all help appreciate
Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
I've just purchased some original okrasa heads & possibly obtaining original manifolds/carbs/filter for my 36hp 56 ghia engine. I'm looking at getting the 80mm big bore heads & barrels, okrasa crank & cam. Do I require any other items & what modification will I need to carry out. Will I need any barrel spacers under heads or at the bottom of the barrels. New to this set up all help appreciate
Thanks

You will need lifters and cut to length pushrods ....spacers depends on what crank your gonna use 69 or 74mm crank if you have Porsche 80mm cylinders and plan on using a 69mm crank you may have to trim the cylinders down since they are longer ...i think aapistons sells 80mm cylinders for to the 64/69mm crank sizes ...link below for lifters 👇
https://aapistons.com/products/vw-36hp-2-piece-lif...&_ss=r
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

You will for sure need barrel shims. Wolfsburgwest and AA sell 80mm kits I think, but not sure if they sell the shims. You will need those heads measured for CCs so you can set your compression which could require even more shims.
I have a 56 Ghia too and used an all original Okrasa set up minus the crank. My heads were rough, busted fins, and one head was cracked in multiple places. My machinist tried to save it by welding it up but it cracked again after maybe 1500 miles. I just bought new heads from WW. Hope you have better luck with yours.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
You will for sure need barrel shims. Wolfsburgwest and AA sell 80mm kits I think, but not sure if they sell the shims. You will need those heads measured for CCs so you can set your compression which could require even more shims.
I have a 56 Ghia too and used an all original Okrasa set up minus the crank. My heads were rough, busted fins, and one head was cracked in multiple places. My machinist tried to save it by welding it up but it cracked again after maybe 1500 miles. I just bought new heads from WW. Hope you have better luck with yours.

Can you post pics of your old welded heads ..so that others could be on the look out with their heads ..thanks
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

Sure.
This is the head that had cracks in the chamber but also out of the exhaust ports
Last two photos show the crack at about 1 o’clock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

What Jerry and Braukuche said... Also, be aware that the 2 pc. lifters are definitely a lot longer than the stock lifter heads, so much so that the commonly available vw push rod length checking tools can't be used, at least not without additional calculations etc.

I'm using these lifters on my 36hp build, which I've got the WW Okrasa kit for and which I've got the heads out to FAT performance to weld up some goofy damage I did to them. I'm planning to use the following pushrod length checker when I get the heads back on the engine to do the final mockup:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7902-1

or

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-9002
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thank you for all your assistance & valued knowledge, but I've now decide to go another route. The original okrasa heads are now up for sale & reasonable offers will be taken
Thanks Dave

Last edited by dave1 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa set up help Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
Hi Guys
Thank you for all your assistance & valued knowledge, but I've now decide to go another route. The original okrasa heads have are now up for sale
Thanks Dave

Fair price.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: