Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front brakes
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: front brakes Reply with quote

My sand rail is missing it's front brakes (link pin) all that is there is the wide 5 drums. The question is: can I use the complete front brakes minus the drums from my Manx copy (ball joint, 4 bolt) including the backing plates?
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

The bolt patterns and the bearing sizes are different. The drums have different widths also.

It may be cheaper and easier to get the pieces missing and put them together. Or buy a cheaper complete set for the brakes, you can usually find them with hoses and other hardware. The other thing to think about is the master cylinder capable of adding more with another T-fitting or better yet with a dual circuit.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Not sure what would be cheaper than using parts I already have but I do get the easier part. So the drum diameter is the same but not the width? Yes I suppose the backing plates will have a different bolt pattern. Dual master cylinder would be nice too but not essential I don't think for a bit of trail riding. I will have to dig around, I may have one.

Thanks I will do some parts pricing.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Remember reading awhile ago the 4’s were wider and more efficient. Not sure if you could, I’m sure someone here knows if they could, let alone should, be ran together. Can’t say I’ve ever seen it. Another thing to consider is if the drums need to be turned? Just another cost to consider.

FWIW if you go disk in the front they can lock up real easy in the front of a light weight car. You do you can always dial back pressure with a proportion valve.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

I have no need for discs on the front. I would like to stick with the wide 5 wheels because that is what I have on the back and don't want to have to carry two spares. The stock drums on the front will be more than enough for what I do with this Buggy. Besides that the wide 5 front disc kits are pretty pricy.

I am going to be changing out the fronts on my Manx copy to discs so thought maybe there was a possibility I could use the shoes and backing plates on the rail but it seems not.

Looks like $400 for all the parts before tax.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

I don't think BJ backing plates will fit LP spindles.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Now it seems to me that there is a couple of crossover years where there were ball joint beams with wide 5 bolt pattern. Was it '66 and '67? I think '68 was the first year for 4 bolt wheels.

Another thing I have noticed in shopping for a replacement beam is there are lots of choice if you want a narrow beam or a wide beam or a beam with funky shocks. Does anyone make just a stock replacement for the link pin?
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Now it seems to me that there is a couple of crossover years where there were ball joint beams with wide 5 bolt pattern. Was it '66 and '67? I think '68 was the first year for 4 bolt wheels.

I have a ‘68 swing, BJ, 4 lug. Long ago I remembered more, a lot of it is stuck up in a cloud, but 68 was the first full year for 4 lug, and late year for IRS, and full year for BJ.

Don’t remember funky shocks though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

What I was referring to is the only link pin replacement beam I found was one with 8" extended shock mounts. Don't need that I just want a stock replacement.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Mine didn't have front brakes either, only the wide 5 drums. As with everything else I got another lesson in VW history while trying to add brakes. From a distance the link pin backing plate 3 bolt patterns appear to be the same and I bought a set of plates and brakes for a link pin front end and of course, they didn't fit. Turns out I have 1957ish spindles so I had to find those plates, cylinders, hoses and shoes and I still had to machine the lip on my drums to get them to fit and not rub on anything. Good thing I have a lathe in the shop that can handle drums. After I got it all together the wheel cylinders still wound up at the bottom so I had to loosen everything and rotate it to the top to bleed it properly. Once all of that was done I wound up with great front brakes. If you post a pic of your splindles I can tell you if you have early or late style.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Right on! This is what I needed. Yes I will pull a drum and get pictures, I could very well have the older style. I will be back in that shop when he opens on Monday, I am using a corner in my neighbor's shop 6 miles away for this project. -30 to -40 is a bit fresh for working on it outside!

I can tell you though that it originally had ball bearings on the front spindles. I have no idea what year they switched to tapered roller bearings.

Thanks for the reply!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Here is the promised photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

My '58 came with ball bearings on the spindles. I converted them to tapered rollers back in the early 70s. Shop for tapered roller bearings using OD and width of the outer race, and ID of the inner race.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
My '58 came with ball bearings on the spindles. I converted them to tapered rollers back in the early 70s. Shop for tapered roller bearings using OD and width of the outer race, and ID of the inner race.

Thanks, I already made the bearing change over about 8 years ago. I was hoping that the bearings would help identify the year of the beam as I have no real clue other than it's not a ball joint one.

So '58 is a possibility then.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

They look real similar to my ‘64 but that step for some reason looks rather large from what I remember, could be the angle of it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Maybe because the thrust spacer is still on the spindle shank in that photo.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Those are definitely the early style like mine are. They appear similar to the later ones but they are definitely different. I changed the roller bearings to conventional taper ones as well and have the part numbers if you need them including the seals.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yes I did the bearing change over a few years back so that part is good. I ordered up the parts so hopefully they all fit!
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

I used the brake shoes that are 1.5" wide and they fit perfectly. I did turn the drums, they were extremely nasty from being exposed for so many years. It makes all the difference in the world having front brakes. You might consider either a dual circuit master cylinder or one with a larger bore to accomodate the extra duty. Remember Pascals law.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: front brakes Reply with quote

Mine too have been without shoes and back plates for likely 35 years. I took the drums in yesterday to be cleaned up.

I'm not concerned at all about the extra duty as all VW master cylinders were designed to work with 4 wheel brakes. I am running Bus drums on the rear though so we will see how the brake balance is. I am pretty sure it will be better than no brakes on the front at all though!

Yes of the master cylinder is faulty I would replace it with a dual circuit one. Why not!

Impatiently waiting for parts to show up...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: