Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

We're excited to announce that plans are underway for Syncro Safari, Sedona '21, scheduled this summer for July 4-10th.

While we anticipated that Sequoias National Park might be re-open this summer, they have still not made any announcement and are not accepting any camping reservations. Since it takes a while for the event to be arranged and for participants to prepare for a week-long trip, we have decided on Sedona Arizona for this year's venue.

We anticipate registration to begin in a few weeks in early March and wanted to get this information out so that people will have time to consider whether they would like to participate, schedule time off work and repair their Syncros. Shocked

Within the next couple weeks we will determine the date to begin accepting registration and announce it here. Please don't attempt to register before this time. Registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis on the date and time of opening. It can fill up very fast, so watch for the date announcement and be aware.

This event will be limited to only 10 Syncros.

See more info at:
https://www.syncrosafari.org/sedona-21-overview.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4x4 trails have not yet been selected, so it you have experience with trails around Sedona, I'd love to hear from you.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

Hmmm, Sedona is 2200 miles from here. Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. Crying or Very sad
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Hmmm, Sedona is 2200 miles from here. Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. Crying or Very sad

That is nothing.....

Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

For a well experienced traveler like you! I haven't made it more than 3 hours in one stretch yet!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Happy that over the years we've had people come to a Syncro Safari out west from east coast states like:

Upstate New York
Maryland
North Carolina
South Carolina

Oh, and Germany Shocked (but as part of a big several month USA/Canada trip) Very Happy

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

Jealous on a couple of fronts - that I only have a 2WD and that the US/CDN borders will likely continue to be closed. Crying or Very sad Sedona is the arguably the most breathtakingly beautiful place in the interior US and remains on my bucket list to return to in my Westy in the very near future. Two hours from Scottsdale and two hours from the Grand Canyon - if you have the opportunity to attend and make the effort, you won’t be disappointed. Even after a week there, the most common word we spoke was WOW!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
Jealous on a couple of fronts - that I only have a 2WD and that the US/CDN borders will likely continue to be closed. Crying or Very sad Sedona is the arguably the most breathtakingly beautiful place in the interior US and remains on my bucket list to return to in my Westy in the very near future. Two hours from Scottsdale and two hours from the Grand Canyon - if you have the opportunity to attend and make the effort, you won’t be disappointed. Even after a week there, the most common word we spoke was WOW!

Thank you for the jealousy! We are blessed to get that.

Upon the completion of the Long Canyon trail near Moab in 2018 we were greeted by a couple guys in a Jetta and a Subaru who watched us coming down the canyon. They jumped out and one said "All I can say is, I'm damn jealous and I hate you guys!"

Loved that line and used it in an article for OutdoorX4 magazine about our Moab '18 Syncro Safari. Read the article here if you'd like:
https://www.syncrosafari.org/moab-18---overview.html

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

Great article - thx for sharing - more jealous now. We spent some (not enough) time in Moab in 2019 and are itching to get back. So far the pandemic has cost me 2 summers of destination trips (Oregon/California coast in 2020) and Yosemite this year, which I appreciate is my own personal first world problem, so REALLY hoping we can collectively put it behind us for 2022.

The primary visual difference between Moab and Sedona are the emerald green evergreens contrasted with the red rocks the Sedona has in abundance - again, just wow! If you get too hot, take in Slide Rock State Park and take in the natural water slide - not even Disney could have created such a masterpiece.

At Moab at Poison Spider Trailhead

Still jealous!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

Registration OPENS for Syncro Safari, Sedona '21
Sunday, March 7th at 6:00 Pacific

See the website for details on how to register:
https://www.syncrosafari.org/sedona-21-registration.html

There will be a 10 Syncro limit and only Syncros will be able to participate.
The cost is $85/Syncro.

See https://www.syncrosafari.org/sedona-21-overview.html
for additional event details.

Sometimes Syncro Safari registration is full within minutes or an hour of the opening and sometimes it might take a week or more. There's just no tellin'. So, if you want to get a spot, note both the date and the time of registration opening.

Hope to see some of you in Sedona!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

https://weatherspark.com/m/2630/7/Average-Weather-in-July-in-Sedona-Arizona-United-States

You might make sure your A/C is working.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Who taught you to read a map? Just do the math correctly and you will see it is not that far.
2200 ÷ 4 = 550 ÷ 4 = 137.5 miles. Since you have to drive west add the gravitational force of the sun, 🌞 × 🧲/🚐 × 🐛 = getting there before you left. It's easy.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

As a reminder,
Registration for Syncro Safari, Sedona ‘21 will open THIS Sunday, March 7th at 6:00 PM Pacific Time

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

Registration is now closed, but accepting requests for those wishing to be on the waiting list. The waiting list DOES get used every year as invariably someone is not able to attend and has to give up their spot.

Registration was full before 6:01PM and there were many other enthusiastic requests within a few minutes after that. Not wanting to disappoint so many people, we were able to scramble and break tradition and expand the event to include 20 Syncros by reserving and additional group site.

Looking forward to Sedona!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

UPDATE:

1. We've had a few registrants have to drop out for various reasons which means there are a few spots now open for the adventure!
Check it out here: https://www.syncrosafari.org/sedona-21-overview.html
and let me know if you'd like to register ASAP. It's just 2 weeks away.

2. I'm happy to announce that GoWesty is again sponsoring the event with gifts and raffle items! Thank You GoWesty!!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

As of June 22, we have officially CANCELLED the "Sedona '21" event due to wildfires in the region causing closure of the Coconino, Prescott, Kaibab, and Tonto National Forests.

We're changed the name of the Sedona non-event to "Sedon'ta 21" - as in "don't go there".

We have created a NEW event in it's place in southeast Utah called "Montezuma '21 " after Montezuma Canyon which will be our Camp Syncro base camp. Montezuma '21 will be the same dates that we intended for Sedona, Sunday, July 4 to Saturday, July 10th. We'll get to see beautiful sights, ancient cliff dwellings, petroglyphs and experience some fun Syncro style 4-wheeling.

You know what they say. "The best laid plans..." Smile

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sedona '21 UPDATE - July 4-10 Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
As of June 22, we have officially CANCELLED the "Sedona '21" event due to wildfires in the region causing closure of the Coconino, Prescott, Kaibab, and Tonto National Forests.

We're changed the name of the Sedona non-event to "Sedon'ta 21" - as in "don't go there".

We have created a NEW event in it's place in southeast Utah called "Montezuma '21 " after Montezuma Canyon which will be our Camp Syncro base camp. Montezuma '21 will be the same dates that we intended for Sedona, Sunday, July 4 to Saturday, July 10th. We'll get to see beautiful sights, ancient cliff dwellings, petroglyphs and experience some fun Syncro style 4-wheeling.

You know what they say. "The best laid plans..." Smile

Jim Davis

Do y'all ever camp with other people who are not part of the event? Know a few guys who could swing by on Friday night if ya like company. If not, well, we may just chase you around anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: