Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

I like using little clues, like the position of the rear quarter marker lights, to be able to tell at a glance whether a van is a Syncro or a 2WD. Now I know how to tell from an engine bay picture whether it is a Syncro or 2WD.

AFAIK there's no differences between a Syncro and a 2WD engine itself. However, because a Syncro engine sits an inch or two lower (different mustache bars & transmission mounts), the Syncro air intake boot is taller than a 2WD intake boot. I didn't appreciate this until ajdenette pointed it out to me. I had mistakenly used the longer Syncro intake boot in my 2WD that was making my AMM sit higher and ajdenette noticed the waffle pattern imprint on top of my AMM where it was touching the bottom of the engine bay cover.

As I was installing the correct 2WD intake boot, I thought I'd put the two boots roughly next to each other and document the difference since I hadn't seen this here before.

Other Syncro/2WD engine differences I am aware of are that Syncro engine cases have a little bead of caulk where they mate to the trans to keep water out and the forward exhaust header has a different bend coming off cylinder #1.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

Next time I remove either the motor or trans, it will get a bead of RTV. I had no idea about the side markers either, looks like the Syncro is centered in that back panel and the 2wd is a few inches forward. Thanks!

I found out I have my snorkel inside the D pillar, but I am missing the hose that connects it to the intake and the dust/dirt separator. I will keep an eye out on the classifieds.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

The thing about using RTV or any sealer is installing the transaxle is difficult enough without adding some goop. Also, today's sealers are also adhesives, making removing the transmission difficult. And if some water gets in there after it is sealed, the sealer may prevent if from draining. So, basically, the bellhousing needs to be completely water tight. Which is not easily accomplished. Certainly it can be sealed along with the engine case, starter etc.

Visual ques. The syncro has 2 metal coolant pipes that cross the engine in front of the intake boot and from behind, the muffler hangs below the valance enough that it looks like the van is wearing a dirty diaper.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

A few other differences for you:

1. The connection of the airbox to the snorkel uses a rubber coupler on the Syncro vs a ribbed plastic one in the standard vans.

2. There is a small bellhousing vent installed in the access hole on the back of the engine case with a vent hose attached to it that keeps the bellhousing area from becoming hydro locked.

3. There is a cyclone dust catcher element inline between the snorkel and the airbox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

Not as easy to determine visually, but it's also fun to guess if the thermostat cover
bolts are seized into a plastic or metal housing...

Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

Yes, indeed.

Also, the Syncro has a cool pre-filter vortex debris separator, which fits nicely into a 2WD system as shown here.

In this pic you can see the incorrect tall syncro intake boot installed and the resulting waffle pattern on top of my AMM.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

The Syncro boot is rare and could help another syncro owner out. Easy to place in the classifieds.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The Syncro boot is rare and could help another syncro owner out. Easy to place in the classifieds.

Great point.
I've just offered it to ajdenette for free in appreciation for taking the time to originally make the post that called it to my attention.
If he/she declines, I'll put it in the classifieds to help sustain the Sanchius Westy Support Fund.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

On a syncro, the 2 metal cooling lines bolted to the crankcase up high are dead easy to spot.
Deberius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

I don't know if already stated...

-) cooling pipe bridge across the trans mount
-) different thermostat housing and connections
-) different oil (stick) pipe length - stick is the same
-) one of the fuel lines are mounted different in the fire wall
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

Lim Delta —-> 0

(( syncro engine bay + Delta) -syncro engine bay)/ Delta

But you have to prove it exists , first
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Not as easy to determine visually, but it's also fun to guess if the thermostat cover
bolts are seized into a plastic or metal housing...

Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

Get yourself some ECK....... no worries about stuck bolts because they simply are not stuck!

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/eckCorrosion.php

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

isn't the Oil Fill Tube longer to make up for the Syncro engine being lower, the plastic part is probably the same, but the metal tube?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

The oil dip sticks are different. Syncro is longer and is identified with green plastic on the top 025115611B. 2WD has red plastic at the top. Which also means the dipstick tubes are different. syncro 025115629A, 2WD 025115609
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

And if you don't have the Syncro dipstick and tube checking the oil in your Syncro is a bit irritating. Gotta get your whole hand in there!
Deberius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
The oil dip sticks are different. Syncro is longer and is identified with green plastic on the top 025115611B. 2WD has red plastic at the top. Which also means the dipstick tubes are different. syncro 025115629A, 2WD 025115609

It could be, that there was a change, but I've here two engines (2.1 95hp) from my syncro and a donor engine from a 2WD.

The tubes of the the oil dip sticks are different. The dip sticks are the same length...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

Deberius wrote:
davideric9 wrote:

It could be, that there was a change, but I've here two engines (2.1 95hp) from my syncro and a donor engine from a 2WD.

The tubes of the the oil dip sticks are different. The dip sticks are the same length...

I'd guess somewhere along the way, someone replaced a dipstick.
If the tube enters the case at the same point and the tube is longer...... well.....

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay picture from a 2WD Reply with quote

[quote="djkeev"]
dhaavers wrote:
Get yourself some ECK....

Thats the business end of HECK. Wink
It’s where it all happens.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

The 2.1 dipstick is 15 1/4” long ........

Here is the part number stamped on the 2WD dipstick.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Picture: How to differentiate a Syncro engine bay from a 2WD Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
isn't the Oil Fill Tube longer to make up for the Syncro engine being lower, the plastic part is probably the same, but the metal tube?

This is right. The Syncro oil fill tube is longer.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: