Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

Late last year I purchased a set of Marco Mansi's High Performance Big Bore Heads for my anemic 2.1 WBX. The 2.1 had low compression in three cylinders which turned out to be leaky valves. I pulled the engine and trans after getting it dyno tested. This was to get a baseline on its then current Horsepower and Torque.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see the numbers are fairly abysmal. Only 66.55 Horsepower at 4235 RPM and 95.91 lbft Torque at 3414 RPM. I thought the numbers would be reversed!

Motor and trans ready to be separated.

I not only bought Marco's Heads but also his 1.35 Ratio Rockers and High volume Oil Pump. My pump was leaking as well as the rear Crank Seal, which prompted pulling the motor.

After pulling the heads I found the cylinders to be in fairly good condition. Still cross hatched and no upper lip.

Unfortunately the photo doesn't show this but it does tell you that I pulled the pistons and cylinders.

Since I didn't know the history of this engine I wanted to be sure the bottom end could handle the increased horsepower, so a complete teardown ensued.

Then I called Rocky Jennings and everything changed.

Hence, 2.1 to 2.2.

As the old saying goes, "In for a Penny, in for a Pound." The motor had definitely been rebuilt but I wanted to make sure the bottom end was okay. It appeared to have the original rods, German, but the pistons were from Brazil. So I decided, lets give this thing a little more help and give it Rocky's 2.2 Pistons. That in turn prompted me to buy new rods after discussing it with Rocky. His point being that the main cause of most WBX engine failures is Connecting Rod failure. Mine had stretch bolts so that meant replacing the bolts or just get new rods. Rocky helped supply new rods.

I then took the Crank to DPR in Santa Ana to get it polished, balanced and measured for new bearings. Jose at DPR knows these engines very well and confirmed standard size bearings were needed. He polished and balanced the flex plate as well.

I sent my Camshaft to Rocky to get it reground. Waiting on that. It is supposed to be delivered today. Once I get that as well as new rod bearings, I will check to make sure there is no interference with the case and pistons.

More on that to follow.

And more pictures...

Last edited by felixbobcat on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

I am building a Mansi big valve also,
I will have a set of DJ pistons, DJ grind on the cam,
NOS rods w ARP bolts
1:35 rockers and running FI/IGN from an ABA obd II
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

I would expect a van to dyno fresh out of the factory at 65-70whp. 85-90hp at the motor with a 20hp drive train loss sounds pretty standard. It doesn't even look like your motor is "tired."
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

I know I don't have the Mansi heads but Rocky rebuilt my 2.1 to a 2.2 a few years ago and with the Rocky Mountain Westy exhaust, it is a pretty respectable motor. It has Rockys cam, ratio rockers, 3 angle valve job, ported intake to match heads and other little tricks Rocky does on these. Revs great and decent torque for what it is.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

From what I’ve read the 2.1 was rated at 100hp so a twenty percent drivetrain loss would put it at 80hp. Three of my cylinders had compression at 135 and one at 175. Regardless of those numbers the point of my rebuild is to see how much Marco’s heads will increase my current horsepower, And get a much better engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

That is a really big spread in compression, definitely rebuild territory.

The 2.1 was listed at 95hp, but I'm betting 90hp was more accurate. GW calls it 90hp fwiw https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=11 Although, since they sell upgraded engines they have financial motivation to downgrade stock motors. But either way, I think 90hp is probably more accurate. They're not the first automaker to overrate/underrate the hp, at least it's not the RX-8 with "238" hp but really 215hp....
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

I was just curious with these new high performance heads and the numbers look impressive, what is being done with the throttle body?

What's the point if the throttle body can only pass the same amount of air?
Or can you put two throttle bodies on and have one for each side of the engine? Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

You’d need to connect the head, intake, and throttle body to a flow bench to measure if the throttle body is the restriction. My guess is it’s not, but if it is a restriction, it would be at the top end not in the mid range where the engine spends most its life.

HP numbers are fun to compare, but I’m more interested in torque improvements.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
You’d need to connect the head, intake, and throttle body to a flow bench to measure if the throttle body is the restriction. My guess is it’s not, but if it is a restriction, it would be at the top end not in the mid range where the engine spends most its life.

HP numbers are fun to compare, but I’m more interested in torque improvements.

What you are saying is probably true, only at high RPM.
I just grew up learning that if you change one part of the intake/exhaust equation you have to change the other end to match the airflow.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

And if the airflow really does increase you have to increase the fueling to match or you're just going to run lean. You'd need either a tuned chip, a standalone EMS, or maybe a rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Easiest option, if it works, might be dropping in a DJ computer. I assume they have an increased fueling tune.

I agree with Mark, I also doubt the throttle body is a restriction.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

My guess is that Marco has considered this and likely has sage advice on what works well together.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

The 2.1 was listed at 95hp, but I'm betting 90hp was more accurate.
Just for the record, 1986 and 1987 2.1 WBX were listed at 95HP, 1988 to 1991 2.1 WBX were listed at 90HP. I don't know why.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

The RX8 was marketed as 240hp, sold as 238hp in 2004, 232hp by 2006 for the manuals. The automatics had 212hp for 2006. Or something like that, all the same motor of course. There is a range of tolerance on HP that is SAE allowable. 232hp was very optimistic with most RX8s dynoing around 175-185whp. A 50-60hp drivetrain loss is just unbelievable. 232hp was probably just inside the range of what a 215hp motor could pass with.

In summary, the same old lies. Laughing
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

Just for the record, 1986 and 1987 2.1 WBX were listed at 95HP, 1988 to 1991 2.1 WBX were listed at 90HP. I don't know why.

One engine rating quotes - The horsepower output specs are at, for the 2.1 "70kW – 95bhp DIN @ 4800RPM"
How often do you drive at 4800rpm? We never see the full horsepower in normal driving.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

It was interesting that Felix's peak hp was 4200rpm though, I probably shift out of 2nd and 3rd around there. Much more usable than the the stated 4800rpm. Peak torque at 3000rpm is pretty nice as well.

It would just be nice if those power numbers were doubled! Laughing I wonder what a Syncro puts down to the wheels with all the extra parts. 50whp? I wouldn't be surprised.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

One engine rating quotes - The horsepower output specs are at, for the 2.1 "70kW – 95bhp DIN @ 4800RPM"
How often do you drive at 4800rpm? We never see the full horsepower in normal driving.
Speak for yourself! I manage to use full power a couple of times every time I drive my van or car. Life's too short to do otherwise!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

Wait... why don't people use the engine as it was designed? Whats wrong with 4800 rpm? I nearly hit 5100-5200 every time I take it up to highway speed. I have not understood why I shouldn't, and Corkins seems to indicate the system was designed for such use, from what I have read. Seems logical. I didn't really do that much before I got the RMW tuned exhaust, but now it seems like I really feel the pull up high. I'm still delighted by the sound, too, even though it is quite boisterous and probably annoys the neighbors.

Hopeful to get my own 2.2 WBX project going soon. Its just freaking cold in my garage now (hovering in the single digits F.)
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

Quote:
but the pistons were from Brazil

That may be part of your problem right there... The Brazilian pistons had an offset pin height which made for low compression. FWIW
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

4200 RPM is normal freeway speed for my automatic.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 to 2.2 WBX rebuild with Marco Mansi High Performance Heads. Reply with quote

Following, really interested to see the HP gains with these. I have a mostly stock 2.1 I rebuilt this fall with his rockers, injectors, and have a techtronics tune on the way in the next few days. If I can get in the neighborhood of 120hp or so on the stock 2.1 with his heads on other small mods i'm game.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: