Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Warthog
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
You could have at least press the hose tight (before the cut), so you don't have to take....a golden shower Twisted Evil Very Happy

Laughing

Nope, no golden showers involved. Since it was already leaking rancid fuel, I placed a pan underneath, cut the line & walked away.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Chris,

It's really good to see you back at your jocular/cantankerous best. Just reading the first month's worth of your endeavours with the Thing has me looking around to find one closer to home for a project.

"Over my dead body," says my wife. I think, that can be arranged, but say, "But Chris has one."

She's having none of it, so I'll get my pleasures vicariously watching your progress.

Chris M
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Hilarious that you have dragged the Ghia crowd over here to follow you. Me included.
I want one too!
I’m glad to see the story continue.
Popcorn
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Chris,

It's really good to see you back at your jocular/cantankerous best. Just reading the first month's worth of your endeavours with the Thing has me looking around to find one closer to home for a project.

"Over my dead body," says my wife. I think, that can be arranged, but say, "But Chris has one."

She's having none of it, so I'll get my pleasures vicariously watching your progress.

Chris M

Thank you sir! Laughing

Apparently, you have not learned the fine art of “ Look what followed me home!”, it’s easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission and they sure as hell won’t forgive you if you get it AFTER they said “NO!”. Twisted Evil

Hopefully you will never get a Thing at the expense of your Ghia.

kgj wrote:
Hilarious that you have dragged the Ghia crowd over here to follow you. Me included.
I want one too!
I’m glad to see the story continue.
Popcorn

I was thinking the same, I doubt there has ever been so much crossover between the Ghia & Thing forums. All hell will break loose if Trylon gets a Thing Laughing .

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Warthog?

Admit it, Chris...

The car's real name is Pumbaa -

https://ohmy.disney.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2...n-King.jpg

bnc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Warthog?

Admit it, Chris...

The car's real name is Pumbaa -

https://ohmy.disney.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2...n-King.jpg

bnc

Laughing Sing it with me... ahh-WEEEEE-EEEE-EEEE-eee ah-wee-no-no-no-wayyy...

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

In anticipation of engine extraction, I removed the rear bumper & upon closer inspection, it became pretty obvious that it was pretty tweaked. It looked like someone wrapped something around it & either tried to pull the vehicle or tried to pull something with the vehicle & bent the lower edge out by almost an inch.

Since this bugged me, I clamped the bumper to a section or 4” angle iron that I had & began to coax the bumper back into shape on the press.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After getting the face of the bumper straight & while it was still clamped to the angle iron, I used two adjustable wrenches to work out the waviness.

Here it is afterwards.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Got into a bumper bender myself a couple of years back. Luckily I was living where people still had the skills and were not afraid to to put it back in order.

Full thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612578&highlight=
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Those easily offended, turn away now. Rolling Eyes

This morning’s task was to remove the engine, how hard could that be? The harness was already disconnected, carbs removed, fuel lines cut, no heat exchanger cables... all I needed to do was remove the two bolts & two nuts holding the engine to the transmission. I grabbed my 17mm wrench & quickly discovered something was amiss. Evil or Very Mad

Alright, some jackass use a different fastener on the starter bolt so I go back to the toolbox & get another wrench.

Then I roll under & start trying to remove the other bolts & the first thing that I notice is these craptastic urethane transmission mounts.

Then, the Tourette-tial downpour begins, the inbred, cross-eyed, goat f%*#er of a mechanic that installed this engine used any g%*^amned fastener that he found laying in the dirt to put this POS back together.

Let’s start with this 7/16” SAE thread, too long bolt with a jamb nut holding above the clutch arm.

Then I try to remove the lowers & find that they too are not the same, one is a 17mm & the other is a 16mm. In total, there was 14mm (7/16”), 15mm (which look suspiciously like a cylinder head nut.), 16mm nut, & a 17mm nut, a different size for each attachment point.

OK, time to yank the lump... Miserable, MOTHERF^%#*NG, son of a mangy whore!!! little did I know that I’d be taking the transmission with it.

What was left of the mounts crumbled into dust.

With the engine out, it’s obvious that this fu*%tard’s favorite tool was a Pop rivet gun.

Trust me, the language was a lot saltier in person.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

OMG! What a mess?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Shocked
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Sad to see a '73 fan shroud so hacked up!
It's worth fixing though. Just take it one small step at a time.
When you get mad, tired or discouraged, walk away from it for a while.

This "Haptic Garage" guy makes some nice inspirational videos.

Link

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

The more that I look at this engine, the more rivets I find, I’m unsure that I even want to bother looking underneath the patches.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Link

The nut securing the fan looks a little funny too.

Just take 'em one at a time.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

The nut securing the fan looks a little funny too.
Good luck, Mondshine

I was told it was the nut holding the steering wheel Laughing
flat4Imp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

That is some of the best use of symbols for "sentence enhancers" I've seen yet! Very Happy I'm even more of a fan of your work/write ups now... I'd like to start a thread on my fire damaged Thing resurrection and have you narrate it!
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

An even more entertaining post than usual. I actually laughed out loud when you showed the rivets in the fan shroud.
At least it will be sorted when it goes back in.
Thanks for sharing. I still want one.
👍
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

flat4Imp wrote:
That is some of the best use of symbols for "sentence enhancers" I've seen yet! Very Happy I'm even more of a fan of your work/write ups now... I'd like to start a thread on my fire damaged Thing resurrection and have you narrate it!

Thank you sir! However, I’m sure that conveying the emotions would be far more difficult without personally having had donated blood. Laughing

Semper_Dad wrote:

I was told it was the nut holding the steering wheel Laughing

WAIT! How’d you know that I was holding the steering wheel?!? Shocked Laughing (wait until I get to the issues there.).

kgj wrote:
An even more entertaining post than usual. I actually laughed out loud when you showed the rivets in the fan shroud.
At least it will be sorted when it goes back in.
Thanks for sharing. I still want one.
👍

Thank you, I’m glad that I can keep it entertaining. Wink Since you’re so interested in a Thing, I’d entertain a trade. Laughing Hmmm, a low light Ghiapet, that’d REAALLLY tweak the purists.

So, back to the beast, I have to wonder what that oil cooler looks like & whether the shroud was perforated & plugged before or after it was installed. Think

I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Since it’s ‘spoda rain tomorrow, I decided to address the transmission mounts instead. First up, I snagged the front mount off of the transmission from the Ghiapet.

I’m sure this is gonna bite me in the azz but, after shifting the transmission through the gears & spinning the input shaft & not hearing any obviously ominous sounds, I opted to leave the original Thing transmission in place.

I then slipped the mount into place.

And then prepared to install the front transmission strap.

But then I decided that I needed to address the rear mounts first & removed all of the bolts...

And then the support bracket. Once the bracket was removed, and then remembering how nasty the inside of the torsion housing was, I straightened out a clothes hanger & passed it into the frame horns to scrape off any excess loose rust in the tubes.

After blowing the tubes clear, folded an old hand wipe into the end of the coat hanger to sorta fashion a cleaning rod.

After inserting it into the frame horn, I then attempted to pour some Ospho in... well folks, let’s just say that pouring caustic solutions into voids above oneself ain’t the brightest idea of the day. While I was far enough away that it didn’t directly drip on me, it did splash up as it dribbled into to the ground. Dumb ass. Fortunately, I were smart enough to immediately start cleaning it off instead of waiting for the discomfort to persuade me to rinse it off, which is really too late.

Once cleaned up, I opened the engine lid & continued swabbing the inside of the frame horns from higher ground & got enough in there so that it began running out of the drain hole in the center of the tunnel.

My improvised cleaning rod allowed me to coat all of the inside of the frame horns all the way up to where they meet under the access hole for the shift rod.

Unfortunately, in my haste, I failed to vacuum out the excess rust scale before saturating it with Ospho d'oh!

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Adding to the list of thing that I’ll probably regret, I decided to make a go of this engine. In my quest to remove all of the upper tin, I found that most of the fasteners were also a hodgepodge of different sizes, some 8mm, some 10mm, a few 11mm, the obligatory flat blade , & even a few Phillips.

I removed the pulley from the generator & not only was the woodruff key MIA, so was the spacer on the armature to keep the pulley from rubbing the housing.

I also removed the block off plates for the heat riser ports on the exhaust & it was obvious that there was a leak.

I rummaged through my spare parts & sourced some stock replacement bits. WTF is up with that color?!?

Now begins the slippery slope, once you clean up and/or paint one or two parts, you have to purty the rest of them up to match... and I hate doing that crap, it only takes a few thousand miles before it looks like shit again. Oh well, I treated the parts to a quick silicone carbide exfoliating spa.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Keep up the good work!

I hope to see you and the Warthog in July where the rocks are flat and the Things are many.

Good luck, Mondshine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: