Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Warthog
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

More mundane crap, I grabbed the alternator stand & installed a late model oil filler cap on it so I could blast the oil separator/breather up to the sealing surface without packing it full of media.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like they got the nut snug & then beat the separator with a rock to tighten it up. Evil or Very Mad

The oil separator was a bit beat but was useable, but someone decided to ventilate it.

(But someone is probably gonna tell me “that was original for that...”)

So I filled it up...

& smoothed it out.

I then primed & painted it. While waiting for it to cure, I turned my attention to the cap... it’s just incredible what you find. Eh?

While it might be gasket material, it looks suspiciously like roofing felt. Rolling Eyes

So I pilfered the seal from the later cap & topped off the breather. I also blasted, painted, & reinstalled the generator pulley.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

And finally, the one piece keeping me from plugging the engine back in.

Man I hate painting shit, I’d be driving this if I just tossed a different shroud & tin on. Confused

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
...More mundane crap...

TDCTDI wrote:
...Man I hate painting shit...

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

And the results betray the true nature of our fully committed narrator. Applause

TDCTDI wrote:

TDCTDI wrote:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

I see this becoming the next concours Thing Laughing Admit it Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
...More mundane crap...

TDCTDI wrote:
...Man I hate painting shit...

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Yeah, that is getting a bit whiny. Laughing

Vladiiiii wrote:
I see this becoming the next concours Thing Laughing Admit it Cool

Uhhh, I think you mistook me for someone else. Concourse de lemons maybe.

With more nasty weather scheduled for tomorrow, I bolted the front transmission strap in & then started to replace the engine seal. The rear one was newish but was cut into three pieces to copy the seal groove, this caused the side pieces to not meet the engine tin so I replaced it.

I almost removed the upper seal but stopped because some free ranging, turd burglar beat the shit out of the seal groove.

Nope, leaving that one alone.

I installed the rear tin & then bent up a new fuel line.

But I didn’t have a grommet so I grabbed a piece of hose & carved a groove in it.

And stuffed it in the hole.

After installing the fuel line, I plugged the engine in.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

So, while trying to attach everything, I found that the accelerator cable was a bit short & after thinking about it a moment, I determined that the bowden cable was either not fully seated or it might have gotten stretched while I was removing the engine. The latter was definitely the case as I grabbed one off another car & it was about an inch shorter, easily solved.

My next task was to install fuel hoses. The first thing I did was to employ a section of coat hanger & bend up a quick bracket to hold a fuel filter in place.

(Anyone else find it intriguing that the most common filter for old VWs are made in Israel?)

I then bolted it to the transmission...

And connected hoses to it

Once done underneath, I carefully routed the hose to the carburetor & secured it with a couple hose clamps & safety wired the upper one to the carb.

I also dumped the fuel filled crank case, cleaned the sump screen & topped it off with fresh 30w.

kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

My next task was to install fuel hoses. The first thing I did was to employ a section of coat hanger & bend up a quick bracket to hold a fuel filter in place.

I may need to borrow the fuel filter bracket idea when I replace mine.
I followed some of your adventures in the GhiaPet and sorry to hear it was totaled. Thank you for sharing your work on the the Warthog!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:

I may need to borrow the fuel filter bracket idea when I replace mine.
I followed some of your adventures in the GhiaPet and sorry to hear it was totaled. Thank you for sharing your work on the the Warthog!

Hah! I’m glad someone found something useful in this train wreck. Thanks, wait until you see what I have planned for this beast. Twisted Evil

After rummaging around in my parts stash, I managed to procure the missing items needed to complete the engine tin.

I then blasted them & purtied thems up too.

I even found the asbestos sleeve for the preheat tube. It wasn’t perfect but I secured it with a hose clamp & installed the tube & lower tin.

And installed the tin on the other side.

(Ughh, you can already see all the pollen accumulating on the tins. Evil or Very Mad)

I also installed a SVDA distributor & a new set of wires.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Today’s misadventures involved the last large piece of engine tin & this one too required rivet removal & the subsequent filling of holes...

Remember when I said to source pennies from before 1985? This is because they are made of zinc after 1985 & guess what, you can weld these to your work. Confused

I managed to chisel it off & then clean up the welds...

I then pissed away an hour or so media blasting the paint off it.

Loose, flaky paint doesn’t seem so sinister but it does clog the gun & siphon tube, this does get annoying & I have to screen out the media.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

So... after adding fuel, adjusting timing, fuel mixture, idle, & chasing down a dead cylinder, I yanked the plugs & found these.

After replacing the plugs, this beast fired right up.

Link

Now for the bad news, I get to pull it out again as the generator is no good.

realmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Nice work glad to hear it running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Progress! You can change out the generator without pulling the engine. Been a few years since I did it but I think I removed the belt, removed the carb, loosened the manifold so I could tip it forward, used a ratchet on the fan nut, loosened the generator strap, took out the 4 bolts on the front and wiggled it out. Careful not to lose the washer on the fan. May have missed a step or 2 but I definitely did not pull the engine to change it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

realmechanic wrote:
Nice work glad to hear it running.

Thank you. Yes, it is nice to hear this run as well as it does considering what the rest of the car looks like.

kenj06 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Progress! You can change out the generator without pulling the engine. Been a few years since I did it but I think I removed the belt, removed the carb, loosened the manifold so I could tip it forward, used a ratchet on the fan nut, loosened the generator strap, took out the 4 bolts on the front and wiggled it out. Careful not to lose the washer on the fan. May have missed a step or 2 but I definitely did not pull the engine to change it.

Maybe, but it’s far easier to yank the engine than to try to monkey with it in situ.

In the meantime, since the beast goes, I thought I might finish the whoa’s. I borrowed the new master cylinder out of a different project & started to extract the one from the Warthog, & waddayaknow, them flare nuts ain’t quite right. Think

Dammit, universal brake line bent into loops & taking the longest route to compensate for the extra length. Evil or Very Mad

Fortunately, the line to the rear has the proper 11mm flare nut, GREAT!..... or is it. Confused

Without time to dedicate to bending new lines, I stuffed the old ones into the master cylinder temporarily since this now time when the flyin, stingin thingies are starting to look for places to build nests. (Boy have I got a story about those bastards.)

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Miserable, motherf#^*%g, no good, rotten, son of a mangy whore!!! Yep, removing the engine took all of about ten minutes. After replacing the generator, this hateful piece of shtuff took full advantage of my lack of anything more than two hands & had me playing an engine tin equivalent of “whack-a-mole” for an hour and a half.

Slip one end of the shroud into the cylinder head tin, and then the other end of the shroud slides to the outside of the head tin. Lift it up enough to slip it in & the head tin on the opposite side slips under the shroud on the inside of the thermostat flaps. Lift it up enough to pry that out & then the outer end slips outside of the engine tin & begin the whole F#*^%ng process again while finding a different way to scratch & scuff the new paint in any conceivable way possible. Evil or Very Mad weight of generator tilts shroud forward & scrapes on back of carb, dammit. Coil not quite tight enough & inexplicably rotates out & cleaves paint behind it off, sonofabitch. Even the g#%*+mned wire terminals on the harness flop down & carve a swath... S%^#!!!!

F#€% IT, don’t care, still looks better than it did & runs a whole lot better too.

I can’t be the only one that has had such an adventure.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Ok, since we’re past that, I thought that I’d share my technique that I’ve perfected over the years on how to make new brake lines out of bulk 3/16” SAE line & cheapie flaring kit commonly available at FLAPS since it’s somewhat difficult to to find the correct metric line & bubble flaring kit. (Warning, This will be a long post.)

I prefer to use the factory 11mm flare nuts to avoid issues later (like needing to replace a hose & not having the proper size wrench because it doesn’t match the rest.). Since it has already been determined that the lines were incorrect on this beast, I Shanghai’d some lines off of a parts car. I know, why not just use those lines? Rolling Eyes Because lines from a Beetle are about 1.5” too short.

Anywho, I started by cutting the ends off the line to remove the fittings.

I then took the remains of a roll of tubing & straightened it out by pushing it down on a flat surface.

Once straight, I slid a flare nut on (don’t forget this, especially if you have already flared the other end). d'oh!

To make a traditional or double flare, you use this side of the clamping bar.

However, to recreate the bubble flare as best as possible using this tool, I use the back side to get a sharper profile.

The die also has a step in it to use as a guide to measure how much the line should protrude beyond the clamping bar.

However, since I am not using it as intended, I have found that the line needs to be about 1/2 again further out,

I then grease up the die.

An insert it into the line & slip the forcing bar over it.

I stop tightening it just shy of the clamping bar.

This allows a bit of “squish” so that the flare will crush & assume the correct shape as it is tightened into the master cylinder or brake hose.

Once flared, I remove the line & it usually is slightly deformed by the clamping bar. (You have to make sure that the clamping bar is really tight to ensure that the line doesn’t slip out while you are trying to form the end.)

I then use a pair of parallel jaw pliers to reshape the line by twisting it around the line until it is concentric again. (You could also use an adjustable wrench.)

Here’s what it looks like compared to an original line...

After bending a soft 90° in the line, I then install it in the master cylinder to see where I need to cut it.

Once cut, I use a drill bit to clean up the ID of the line.

And repeat the process on the other end. (Make sure to remember to install the other flare nut. Laughing )

With that completed, I reinstalled the new line into the vehicle.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

One of the early pics I shared of the engine bolts also showed a nut being used as a spacer to adjust the length of the clutch cable...

This tells me that sumtin ain’t right, so I decided to investigate further. While this could be quite a few different things, or even a combination there of, my hope was that it was just a cable so I removed the old one & compared it to a new one but aside from some minor wear in the clevis, it was the same length.

However, the hook on the pedal assembly was definitely worn.

You can also see that the accelerator lever is twisted pretty badly causing a fairly limited pedal travel.

Easy enough, I welded up the worn spot...

And then after grinding it down a bit, I opted to add some extra material to give more surface area for the clevis to engage.

Much better.

I then tossed the pedal assembly in some used oil to work into the pivot points.

While that was soaking, I threaded the cable in & then installed the pedal assembly.

However, the clutch cable was still a bit too long, it then dawned on me that the clutch pedal was a bit too far back so I decided to adjust the pedal stop. If any of y’all have ever done this, then you know that the moment you loosen that bolt, the clutch pedal immediately attacks you & the hook disengages from the cable as the pedal flops to the floor. Having done this a time or two, I have learned to attach some vise grips to limit the travel.

I then adjusted the pedal stop and then the cable to set free play on the clutch.

And then the free play on the brake pedal.

And here’s the new cable end adjusted without the spacer.

Duncan67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Great tip on using the vise grips to hold the clutch and brake pedals.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

Today I made the driver side front brake line.

And installed it.

This left me with just this little bit of leftover after making lines out of a 25’ roll for multiple other cars.

Excited about finally getting the brakes working, I started to bleed the rear brakes & then noticed these. d'oh!

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

With new hoses in hand, I removed the old ones, & plugged the new ones in. Here’s how long the incorrect ones were.

They were restricted internally anyway. With the new hoses in, I bled the system, adjusted the rear brakes, & then adjusted the parking brake, there was only one more thing to do....

HEY Y’All, WATCH THIS!!!

Link

kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Warthog Reply with quote

It's alive! Great video, fun to see it out and about!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: