Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Well, I went there today to return a "hercules" hole drill set. After drilling 1 hole through mild steel sheet metal, a noticed a few teeth broke/chipped. I'm going to get the 16pc Milwalkee hole dozer set instead. There is a seller on ebay who has it for a great deal (61 bucks currently)

Anyways I was quite surprised to find out that the 20 percent off coupons that were normally ALWAYS available, were gone. They currently have a handful of lame useless coupons. Now they expect us to pay and sign up for their membership crap.

Just thought I might save some people a wasted trip.

I'm done with them.

Good thing I got their last good item before they discontinued that a couple months ago (NLA: the giant 60 gallon 2 stage compressor with Italian made pump and made in USA motor)

Now there is simply no reason to go there...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

people will vote with their wallets and it will come back in some form.

i think my highest dollar amount purchase from them was around 70 bux. at 20% off i really don't think 14 bux is gonna make or break me. that said i only buy what i would consider 'throw away' stuff from them anyway.

in their (half hearted) defense they seem to be slowly upping their quality a bit. not sure how it works, but i think they want you to join their club for xx.xx a year or some such thing.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

They mainly sell garbage, even their high quality lines are generic trash. I'd rather buy a made in mexico Bosch or dewalt before some chinese junk.

You bring up a good point, they have been slowly adding the supposed "high quality" tools with stupid names ( Bauer? What is that supposed to German, Laughing ) to their line and then excluding them on the coupon.

I'm not even talking tools tho really. More like welding wire, gloves, other stuff like that... the 20% off made it a really good deal since I go through a lot of that stuff.

All there disposable stuff is crappy and it was only a good deal because of the constant on-going 20% off. Now amazon is probabaly cheaper but I'd rather go to my local neighborhood family owned hardware store or even Lowe's anyway.

Funny thing is they were super empty today on a Saturday afternoon when its normally busy.... I think they will go out of business soon, or realize this was a mistake due to massive sales loss.

They have always been terrible overall, but now it's just a bad deal. Atleast the coupons made you think you were getting a good deal. Lol!

Walking in there and looking at all the junk, maybe buying some crap you dont need. That used to be fun in it's own dull way, but now it's just shameful... lol. Just feels wrong... Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

they just sent me a 30% (email) on 5 items up to $10 Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Usual idiot blather. It’s a mUlti billion annual revenue business with sone smart people running it, much smarter than 20% off coupon gropers.

I’ll miss getting the free box of extra small gloves and cutting the fingers off for safeties , though
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

I've bought may $1000 worth of HF stuff over the past 25 years, and been mostly satisfied.

My individual items over like $25 included 1/2 inch electric impact wrench, bench top drill press, 1/2 inch hammer drill, refrigerant leak detector, floor jack, 2 metal carts, multi-tool, lawn tractor jack, etc.

So I'll still remain a customer. Like I found a replacement wheelbarrow wheel there (not at Home Depot or Ace). I have 4 of their click-type torque wrenches, OK. Other stuff includes heat gun, S-shaped box wrenches...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Only bought one thing from HF, a leakdown tester. It was crap and returned it the next day.

The Walmart mentality is what killed domestic jobs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

go out of business soon? Laughing that aint happening
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Only bought one thing from HF, a leakdown tester. It was crap and returned it the next day.

While I am not a walmart shopper at all, and I've seen walmart destroy small towns, I don't thinks that's generally a fair comparison. They employ about 20K people, the majority of which like working for them. They've donated tens of millions to hospitals, donate tools to schools, etc. They seem to be a pretty decent company
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Used to go often for various needs. Now I buy it all online from other vendors at better prices. Floor jacks, 1/2" impact ( 120V) , Hammer drill have all exceeded expectations, the rest of it...as advertised "Buyer beware".
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

I went there occasionally and the 20% made it a good deal for anyone who goes there's enough will be a little surprised I think.

Its like bed bath & beyond or Michaels arts supplies or something. Harbor freight used to always have a "20% off any item" coupon you could print or pull up on your phone. You could also pretty much use it as many times as you want.

It made them competive but now you are better off supporting local hardware stores is my main point

Yes I'm cheap.

A lot of there junk used to be a STEAL practically ( and I liked that) , and why buy junk if it isnt basically free ?

You think I give a shit about paying my fair share to cooperate HF which just seems to be getting worse overall?

Like I said these "smart" businesses exec's will realize they made a big mistake, and add the coupons back, either that or it's already to late and they will go out business when this doesnt bring there profits up like they expect it too.

Anyways if you have been fairly familiar with harbor frieght over the years and used the coupons you will be surprised.

And I'm not sure the people running harbor freight are exactly business geniuses, lol. I lived with business majors in college. Some of them are clowns and dont know there ass from a hole in the ground but managed to graduate, get jobs, etc. But sure, give em that credit if you want. LOL !!!!!!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Used to go often for various needs. Now I buy it all online from other vendors at better prices. Floor jacks, 1/2" impact ( 120V) , Hammer drill have all exceeded expectations, the rest of it...as advertised "Buyer beware".

You know ... Laughing
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
go out of business soon? Laughing that aint happening

What makes you so sure? They dont seem to be doing well last time I walked in. Very empty.

I also know they got rid of the coupons because they were losing profits.

Look what happened to Sears... all the stuff got worse quality, more expensive, and then they took away their coupons too (sound familiar?) Went out of business and now they have no stores.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
They employ about 20K people, the majority of which like working for them. They've donated tens of millions to hospitals, donate tools to schools, etc. They seem to be a pretty decent company

My understanding is that they keep the workers hours low so they are not required to provide health insurance to them. That many of their workers are on public assistance... meaning the tax payers are subsidizing them.

I could be wrong.

I'm not a fan of the Big Box stores, they kill the smaller locally owned businesses that keep the profits in the community. They also use their buying power to bully manufacturers to cheapen their products, which dilutes their brand, to fit a price point. Years ago my 21 year old Toro lawn mower died in the middle of doing my lawn on a Sunday. The local power equipment shop was closed so I bought another Toro at the big box store. Two years later it stopped running and when I brought it to the local shop they told me it had a plastic camshaft and was not worth repairing. I bought a new Toro from the local shop and 14 years later its still going strong.

Same for front door locksets.... buy one at the local shop and it has all metal internals, from the big box it has plastic inside. One good kick and it will snap and you can walk in.

Don't buy a Leviton switch or outlet.. .they are crap inside.

Like the tagline in my signature says....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Usual idiot blather. It’s a mUlti billion annual revenue business with sone smart people running it, much smarter than 20% off coupon gropers.

I’ll miss getting the free box of extra small gloves and cutting the fingers off for safeties , though

Their whole business revolved around serving coupon gropers.

I'm assuming you don't live near or go harbor frieght often...

Yes I was only interested in buying their junk if I could get if for extremely cheap and have them make as little profit off me as possible... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'm glad you have more pride than me tho Rolling Eyes
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

You are not wrong

https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2405-real-cost-walmart.html

Do a little Google search, so much written on this

https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart+effect&...U-uzRIY2QM

The M. O. Usually works like this. They target an area ahead of time and zero in on city government making proposals on how many jobs they bring in. In return they want tax abatement, they want infrastructure improvements, and sometimes donated land. What they don’t mention is the mom and pop stores driven out. Once they are established prices go up because they control the area. Around here they buy up property then keep the buildings empty as some kind of tax dodge.

The employees aren’t happy, they prefer young females as they are easier to manipulate. I didn’t ever shop there or harbor freight but I don’t give a shit anymore. I’ll just do what’s best for me fuck the rest. I used to catch hell here for speaking out against these chinese assholes, no more.
Reap the whirlwind 😀

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Erik G wrote:
They employ about 20K people, the majority of which like working for them. They've donated tens of millions to hospitals, donate tools to schools, etc. They seem to be a pretty decent company

My understanding is that they keep the workers hours low so they are not required to provide health insurance to them. That many of their workers are on public assistance... meaning the tax payers are subsidizing them.

I could be wrong.

They are big business scum. I'm sure many of the employees are fed up. They avoid paying overtime to their managers and stuff.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Kudos to you guys on the east coast smart enough not to buy into the smoke and mirrors coming out of bentonville.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

I know you only see store clerks when you walk in, but that's far from all of their employees. The way some of you talk, any business that makes a profit is terrible. You should probably make your own tools and live off the grid

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Harbor-Freight-Tools-Reviews-E241635.htm

https://www.familybusinessmagazine.com/family-owned-store-chain-donates-supplies-hospitals

https://www.redcross.org/donations/companies-and-f...Tools.html

https://www.harborfreightgivingback.com/tools-for-schools/

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/community/2021/01/harbor-freight-donates-50-tool-kits-to-kcsd/

https://www.wmdt.com/2020/12/harbor-freight-donates-toolkits-to-parkside-high-school-students/

https://www.nisd.net/news/company-donates-kits-cca-home-learning

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/harbor-freig...institute/

"Big Biz Scum" Laughing you seem bitter about your coupon bro Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight ENDS all coupons! NO MORE 20% off Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I know you only see store clerks when you walk in, but that's far from all of their employees. The way some of you talk, any business that makes a profit is terrible. You should probably make your own tools and live off the grid

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Harbor-Freight-Tools-Reviews-E241635.htm

https://www.familybusinessmagazine.com/family-owned-store-chain-donates-supplies-hospitals

https://www.redcross.org/donations/companies-and-f...Tools.html

https://www.harborfreightgivingback.com/tools-for-schools/

https://www.lockhaven.com/news/community/2021/01/harbor-freight-donates-50-tool-kits-to-kcsd/

https://www.wmdt.com/2020/12/harbor-freight-donates-toolkits-to-parkside-high-school-students/

https://www.nisd.net/news/company-donates-kits-cca-home-learning

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/harbor-freig...institute/

"Big Biz Scum" Laughing you seem bitter about your coupon bro Laughing

Bucking for management I see. 😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: