Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rod side clearance
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Working on collecting parts for a 2332. There’s not a “real” vw machinist in town and I’m on a remote island in Alaska so everything gets shipped out. Trying to decrease the chance of having to send parts out to be machined. Looks like I’ll go with a DPR crank, seems to be less of a chance of something being wrong with them. I have access to a machine shop so I can use all sorts of precision measuring tools and will check everything..

So I realize nothing is known until you measure what you have. However I have noticed trends, the CB rod side clearance is typically on the loose side. Scats seem to be tight. I’ve seen this on a couple motors I’ve built, the CB side clearance is around .020” on my last motor. I wanted to notch the rods but didn’t because I don’t think with that much clearance it would do anything..

Any idea what other brands seem to be? Like AA H-beams or even empi? I do like that the scats have a 3/8” bolts though.. I’ll seek out a rod with ARP bolts and have seen there’s fakes out there..

I agree with having the side clearance on the loose end is better than too tight... the scats I have are super tight, almost scary. I’d have to remeasure as it’s been years since I built the motor (was a 2007cc with scat Ibeams, I just dug the rotating assembly out of storage).
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

I'd like to have about .015" on a high powered engine, but .020 is a lot better than too tight.
On the one hand I don't LIKE how CB is making the rods too narrow, (I can do that myself perfectly well) Rolling Eyes but then again I know it's not something worth being overly concerned about.

Putting the oil groove in the rods is still a good idea, IF the cheeks of the crank actually cover the rod. A lot of older welded cranks they don't.
Have a look at that, maybe you did a lot of overthinking over nothing. Shocked
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I'd like to have about .015" on a high powered engine, but .020 is a lot better than too tight.
On the one hand I don't LIKE how CB is making the rods too narrow, (I can do that myself perfectly well) Rolling Eyes but then again I know it's not something worth being overly concerned about.

Putting the oil groove in the rods is still a good idea, IF the cheeks of the crank actually cover the rod. A lot of older welded cranks they don't.
Have a look at that, maybe you did a lot of overthinking over nothing. Shocked

Oh didn’t know that about the welded cranks. My CB rods were on a CB crank where the side clearance was excessive.

I don’t know how much oil flows out of the side of the rods. Just figured with such a gap the notch wouldn’t do a whole lot. I guess if it’s just pooring oil out of there a notch might direct a little oil.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

I can't help much here.
But the AA "H" beams are on the rather loose side of things too. Like you found, 0.020"
Have you considered the newer EMPI "I": beams? They appear to pretty stout!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I can't help much here.
But the AA "H" beams are on the rather loose side of things too. Like you found, 0.020"

They do look pretty tough (pro series). I was considering them as well. I haven’t looked hard enough but would want to make sure they’re made for a 2” journal. I don’t mind clearancing a cam and the case is already clearanced (but I’ll check of course) so I don’t see why a I beam would be too tough.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Nobody really knows what postition the rod will actually assume under what conditions.
You can't really go wrong with putting some grooves in the sides.
If it is rod is thrust against one side then the groove will help, if it isn't then the groove will not hurt.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

I have scat h beams on a DPR crank, and it’s not loose.
If you don’t have a machine shop, have dpr fit everything and balance it...
One stop shopping, he can get you the bearings too, and check your rod clearances
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Side clearance is really a Non-issue. It just allows the rod to float to wherever it wants to live. Has zero effect on oil flow or oil pressure.

As for notching: You can do it, but it doesn't really do anything.
The oil is squirting from the rod bearings 360deg all around and getting flung everywhere by centrifugal forces (mighty strong ones too).
Little notches cannot overcome the forces slinging it all over.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
I can't help much here.

They do look pretty tough (pro series). I was considering them as well. I haven’t looked hard enough but would want to make sure they’re made for a 2” journal. I don’t mind clearancing a cam and the case is already clearanced (but I’ll check of course) so I don’t see why a I beam would be too tough.

They are VERY tough. I had a set that held up to the crankcase being completely drained of all oil at highway speeds, (sump drain plug came out after being worked loose from dragging it going in and out of the driveway) the bearing in number 4 pounded almost completely out of it and the rod, nor the bolts, ever let go. The side clearance on them is a little tighter than other Empi rods but not near as tight as the Scats. They make them in VW and Chevy journal depending on the length you need. Mine were 5.4" Chevy journal
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Greg, go DPR and VW or Porsche journals. Tom is right, don't bother with notching. I like having the rod ends drilled like in this pic. The drilling is an extra $100. Dan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Here is a mind blower for you. Joel Mohr told me about a engine he built with a 40hp crank and 1600 rods. Had a ton of side clearance, like .090" and he said it made no noise and ran many miles. Shocked
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Dan, out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the hole on the rod end? Weight reduction or oiling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Dan, out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the hole on the rod end? Weight reduction or oiling?

Weight reduction, makes the counter weight more effective. Reduces center main pounding.

Dan
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

I would be happy with .010~.012" and If I wanted more thats a eazy fix.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

With my Scat 4340 forged crank and CB H-beam rods I have exactly .015” on each rod. Maybe a coincidence

When I used the CB Uni-tech rods they were .016-.018”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

It also depends on how high you wanna rev.
On a 8000 rpm engine I wouldnt assemble anything less than 0,015"
Factory specs on a stock engine is 0,1 mm (0,0039") But I have found (from disassembling loads of especially aftermarket rebuilds and VEGE engines, that that is on the low side. Those ALWAYS have cranks that are blued. So for that reason I do not assemble even a std plus engine with less than 0,008" (020 mm)

Last edited by Alstrup on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

Dan I Honestly was just going Chevy for the better selection of rod bearings. I want to run clevite bi metal rod bearings. They don’t seem to make them for a VW journal. Motor won’t have a huge amount of HP so I doubt overlap will hurt. Porsche stuff is expensive..

Saw VW released a bulletin about notching T4 rods. I don’t see it doing anything with an excessive side clearance though.

The bearing is the restriction so I wouldn’t think side clearance would effect oil pressure. I do think if you wanted “squirters” it would affect that.

Doesn’t seem worth the time..

Thanks again.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

Dan I Honestly was just going Chevy for the better selection of rod bearings. I want to run clevite bi metal rod bearings. They don’t seem to make them for a VW journal. Motor won’t have a huge amount of HP so I doubt overlap will hurt. Porsche stuff is expensive..

Saw VW released a bulletin about notching T4 rods. I don’t see it doing anything with an excessive side clearance though.

The bearing is the restriction so I wouldn’t think side clearance would effect oil pressure. I do think if you wanted “squirters” it would affect that.

Thanks again.

On the brgs I respectfully disagree, crank rigidity is more important. A well thought out oiling system will not need the very best brgs. On a high rpm race engine I would agree with you.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/14916/POR_14916_ENGMAN_pg2.htm#item6
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
ekacpuc wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

Thanks again.

On the brgs I respectfully disagree, crank rigidity is more important. A well thought out oiling system will not need the very best brgs. On a high rpm race engine I would agree with you.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/14916/POR_14916_ENGMAN_pg2.htm#item6

The bi metals are nice for if the oil gets dirty. It’ll be full flow though.

I did look when I saw DPR had the Porsche option. Bearings can be found but I haven’t seen much in the way of rods. I’ll peak around again.

Looks like AA makes them. Didn’t know that.. I’ll have to dig up some info to make sure the 2.0 ones listed are correct.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1014113
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod side clearance Reply with quote

Greg those rods are for T4 engines. Take a look at my ads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: