Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repairing Fastback dashpad
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

I mentioned in another thread about the scarcity of RHD dash pads - Its OK for you guys with left hookers, but us RHD types have a serious availability problem ! As mentioned elsewhere, the pad on my car as purchased was bad, but the vendor kindly gave me 2 1/2 more pads - All damaged to a degree.
I went to an Aussie Dashboard Doctor place, but he said mine were too far gone for him to repair, so I thought I would try to do it myself. Here is a photo of as they were :-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought some plastic dashboard bog, and followed the instructions grinding out the cracks, and applying the bog. I do not need the speaker holes as I have removed my central speaker, so am able to cover the holes up, and support it with more bog on the inside. The plastic and foam in the centre is so weak, it needs all the support it can get.
Here is a pic of the bogging of the pad in process - Almost done, but lots more sanding to do yet !!

And while I was sanding, I started to wonder about how to make it look good in the end. Just painting it probably wouldn't be too good, and making up a felt dash pad cover would be ok, but difficult to get it looking good around the curvy bits. Then I found this video on the internet - Flocking !!! Never heard of it before, but thought it might be the answer. Relatively easy to apply, covers up lots of small imperfections, and non reflecting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CKsHDOhAZQ

Anyone got any experience with flocking ? Would be interested if anyone knows any +++'s or ---'s. Repairing old RHD pads is our only option, so any way of making them look good without it costing a fortune would be really beneficial for lots of us. And in Australia where the sun destroys plastic dashes, most of ours are pretty sad. Crying or Very sad
Thanks
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Not flocking but here is one I did two years back. Not only a RHD but an early wrap around one! Put together using the ends off a wrap around grafted onto a mid 1960s centre part. Luckily I had a metal dash to keep everything lined up for joining, filling and smoothing ready for re skinning as well as being used whilst the re skinning was being done. Still cost a few hundred bucks for the re skin but came out great. Also left speaker holes out. A worthwhile exercise if you want a good looking dash after spending the time and $$$ on the body and other interior work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Great job, that looks fantastic!

Mmmmm, flocking...

Link
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Clatter flocked his glove box. I know there used to be a texture paint that we used when building new interior panels for car audio systems, but that was over 20 years ago.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9543156&highlight=flocking#9543156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

DHanna wrote:
Not flocking but here is one I did two years back. Not only a RHD but an early wrap around one! Put together using the ends off a wrap around grafted onto a mid 1960s centre part. Luckily I had a metal dash to keep everything lined up for joining, filling and smoothing ready for re skinning as well as being used whilst the re skinning was being done. Still cost a few hundred bucks for the re skin but came out great. Also left speaker holes out. A worthwhile exercise if you want a good looking dash after spending the time and $$$ on the body and other interior work.

That looks really great. Any pics of the re-skinning process?

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
DHanna wrote:

That looks really great. Any pics of the re-skinning process?

I sighted the vacuum press which was used but not whilst the pad was being done. By using the metal dash it held everything in alignment so that instruments just slipped in. The one which I had skinned 20 yrs ago was a shocking job with shrinkage and the corners of the wrap around ends sanded too much. It haunted me for all those years!! After finding another sad pad at a wreckers quite a few years ago I finally got the urge to do the replacement.

It is a pity the original poster is near a couple of thousand km from me as he would be happy to part with A$300 to get his reskinned as he has done all the prep work himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

DHanna wrote:

It is a pity the original poster is near a couple of thousand km from me as he would be happy to part with A$300 to get his reskinned as he has done all the prep work himself.

I'm not THAT far away !!! In fact I am driving down thru Sydney (Covid permitting) on about 13th March as I have to go to Melbourne to give a talk on our Peking to Paris event. I will be arrying all sorts of (non VW) car parts with me for delivery to St Peters, so an extra dash is not a problem !!

BUT
With reskinning, I am uncertain of how this will fare in the Aussie sun. If it is like usual dashboards, it will crack again unless it is protected with some kind of pad like I have in all my other cars. I was thinking that flocking might kill two birds with one stone, and also be considerably cheaper. I have spent more than enough on getting my car on the road, and am now trying to keep further costs down where possible !!
But I do like the idea of getting it reskinned. I currently have a S African fibreglass one in the car, and as mentioned elsewhere, it is fine for the moment, but not perfect. In fact it would have been really good flocked !!
So interested to know more about the reskinning option. Do they take the old skin off, or put a second one over the top ? I will be working to get a second pad made up from the other bits I have, so then I would have two RHD units Smile
Also great that you had a spare metal dash to use as a mould - I reckon that will be the hardest part with one that is cobbled up from other pieces........Have you still got it lying around ?????? Wink
Giles
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Out of interest, DHanna, I bought and picked up my car from Steve Mueller in Anangrove !!
Giles
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Out of interest, DHanna, I bought and picked up my car from Steve Mueller in Anangrove !!
Giles

Not far from me! The dash restorer is at McGrath's Hill near Windsor.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Who is the dashboard repairer near Windsor ? I only found the Dashboard Doctor in Coburg Victoria, and they told me my pads were too far gone for them to repair. Crying or Very sad
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
DHanna wrote:

I'm not THAT far away !!! In fact I am driving down thru Sydney (Covid permitting) on about 13th March as I have to go to Melbourne to give a talk on our Peking to Paris event. I will be arrying all sorts of (non VW) car parts with me for delivery to St Peters, so an extra dash is not a problem !!

BUT
With reskinning, I am uncertain of how this will fare in the Aussie sun. If it is like usual dashboards, it will crack again unless it is protected with some kind of pad like I have in all my other cars. I was thinking that flocking might kill two birds with one stone, and also be considerably cheaper. I have spent more than enough on getting my car on the road, and am now trying to keep further costs down where possible !!
But I do like the idea of getting it reskinned. I currently have a S African fibreglass one in the car, and as mentioned elsewhere, it is fine for the moment, but not perfect. In fact it would have been really good flocked !!
So interested to know more about the reskinning option. Do they take the old skin off, or put a second one over the top ? I will be working to get a second pad made up from the other bits I have, so then I would have two RHD units Smile
Also great that you had a spare metal dash to use as a mould - I reckon that will be the hardest part with one that is cobbled up from other pieces........Have you still got it lying around ?????? Wink
Giles

Couldn't remember how far north you were. 😁. If you like I can call over and see what the timeframe is for reskinning. Yes the surface gets roughed but not stripped. The skin is only about 0.75mm thick but seems to stand heat ok. I can't give a definite answer to this as my car doesn't see much sun as it lives in the garage most of the time. The original one I had done never showed any cracking in the 18 years and it had the speaker holes in it. I may actually put the speaker holes in but need to make the drill jig. Too many other things get in the way.
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Nice work!! Looks new!!
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Giles

Forgot to add this Qldelsie?

http://www.dashboardrecovering.com.au/

His name is Ian.

Give me a call if you are travelling through.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Fastback dashpad Reply with quote

Thanks. Will give him a call.
Giles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: