Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor frame
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandrop77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

Hello everybody , I hope my post is at the good place ..
I'm looking for a barndoor project but as you can imagine , the frame isn't in good shape ..
I'm looking for parts to repair but I can't find every parts .. So I ask to the people who already did it how did you do ?
You have to build parts by yourself ? And where do you find dimension ?

Thank's
(i hope my English is good .. )
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

That question is not so easy or quick to be answered.
There are most if not all parts of the chassis available from the aftermarket. there are several companies from the UK, USA, Colombia, Belgium, Taiwan(?) and many other countries that offer main or smaller parts. you will have to look through their inventory, what is currently available, since obviously the Barndoor market is limited and some parts are maunfactured in a batch and can be out of stock. why not start asking locally in your case ? Wink
It also depends a lot on which year your project bus is. there are many small differences over the years.
The chassis itself is not very complicated, but there is no such thing as a simple technical works drawing. many people have offered their data here on TS. you really need to search and read through the forum. you need to understand the design and construction of pretty much the whole bus, to understand where to put what. It would help tremendously if you have at least remnants or main chunks of the chassis like the rear torsion housing and gearbox mount/cradle and the section for the front axle and steering box.

Here is a very important thread with a lot of dimensions to start with

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542737&highlight=measurments

this is just a summary of topics that I found using the keyword 'measurements' in the search button above.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=measurments&search_forum=40

you can also look in my build thread ( highlighted blue below), but it is more of a custom build.

remember there are certain companies and people (in the UK) who specialize in Barndoors and they might be able to build a replacement chassis for you.

I can only think of one project BD that is for sale right now w/o a chassis, and maybe thats the dove blue 54 panel from the UK. I pulled that from the Austrian woods. I am not the seller btw.

Good luck with your project!

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Sandrop77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

Thank's for your answer !

I'm new in bus world so I try to find informations !

Yes I'm looking for this bus .. But with covid it's not easy to find a way to get it back to home .. You have more informations / pictures when you get it out of Austrian woods ?

I look your thread , you did amazing work !
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

there is not much I can tell you about it, but I do have further pics. I wonder where the frame went, or maybe it was so bad that the previous owner cut all of it out ? I think he mentions and has photos of some chassis parts at least.
If you buy the bus, get in touch with me and I can provide more pics from the rescue mission!
It would be great if you could restore and save it. has lots of character and could be a sweet van ! Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

Just to add to Günther’s helpful reply, these three UK outfits spring to mind here:

1. Mark Spicer at Type 29
https://www.type29.co.uk/product-category/chassis/

2. Jeff at JC Welding Services
http://jcweldingservices.co.uk/?portfolio-post=barndoor-chassis

3. Paul Irving at Irv’s VW Restoration
https://www.irvsvwrestoration.co.uk/home

Any of these boys would probably help you build a chassis.
They will all have a chassis jig which ensures the chassis is within tolerance.

They would no doubt help advise on the best panel supplier/s...no doubt KlassicFab and Schofields will be mentioned. Looks like Type 29 supply some of their own in-house panels now.

4. KlassicFab have also been supplying full BD chassis for some time now...the original BD repro-chassis supplier...I assume they still do
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=513466
https://www.klassicfab.com/

As Günther has said, the benevolent Mark Spicer produced a BD chassis dimensions diagram a long time back
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542737

Nize built a nice homebuilt chassis in Sweden...see thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I’d start by getting a a couple of guide prices on a chassis (perhaps someone can chime in here)...then you can jump in on your bd purchase better informed

I’m guessing around £8k (UKP) for a chassis (inclusive of panels)
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

for 8 grand i would not hesitate to buy a complete new chassis.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Sandrop77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

Many thank's for your answer !
I'll write a mail to see what's we can do !
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor frame Reply with quote

Yes we can help here at Type 29. Our website is a bit behind. We now assemble complete barndoor chassis in house with all our own panels, some fabricated some pressed. They are year specific using a brand new dedicated barndoor jig that we used two original buses to make it from.
We only require the cast torsion ends and centre gearbox casting from an old chassis. Nothing else is needed as we make the gearbox cradle etc too
We press front wheel arches all years, bulkheads and many more panels too.
Drop me a mail at mark (at) type29.co.uk if we can help.

Oh and our complete chassis are well under £8k too.
Cheers
Mark

Instagram - rustykohlruss
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: