Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear axle camber
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: rear axle camber Reply with quote

I was able to work on my Chenowth 2lwd resurrection this weekend. my rear swing axle had excessive rear positive camber and the suspension sat hard on the lower stops. couldn't even get the suspension to cycle by jumping on the rear. each tire was leaning out by 8 degrees from vertical. Knowing nothing about setting up the rear end or what I was working with I had to take the torsion bars out and take some measurements. torsion bars are painted white and 27 MM 21.75 long.
car weight is Drivers side 500 Lbs and passengers side 550 Lbs at the rear axle. front axle is 250 lbs on both sides. no people and no gas and no shocks on the car.

measuring the side plate angles they were hard on the lower stops with an 8 degree down angle. once off the stop they dropped down to 12 degree with no load. the suspension has good urethane red bushings in good shape. so I tried re-indexing the side plates and splines. i tried moving up the side plates to 8 degrees dangling and put it back together. the side plates stayed at 8 degrees and resting on the lower stops. so it didn't change the camber angle at the tires.

so I took it apart again and readjusted the splines and plates and between adjusting the inner and outer splines i got the plates hanging at 2.5 degrees down angle. and put it back together again. this results with very little pre load on the torsion bars and the side plates are off the lower stops. sitting on the tires the side bars raise to 1.5 degree down angle. and I can bounce the rear suspension. the positive camber went up to 2 degrees on each side so the tires now look close to vertical. I am much happier with this setting and once on its wheels the side plates are now sitting 1.5 degrees down angle.

My concern is there is almost no pre load on the torsion bars so I don't know if this is a proper set-up. Once I put the shocks back on this will all stiffen up a bunch. but at least the suspension will cycle and the tires are almost straight up and down.

Do I want to consider a lighter torsion bar with more preload? right now with weight on the car there seems like only 1 and another 1 degree when its on its wheels degree of preload in the bar. the car is not complete yet so the weight will go up some and we expect to be driving this buggy mostly on sand dunes and mildly on dirt roads. with the car in lake Havasu everything is available and street driving is possible. no off road spirited driving in my future.

your thoughts and comments are welcome.

am I better off with a lighter torsion bar with more preload or these bars with almost no preload.
BajaBoy7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

Those bars are probably way too stiff for a lightweight 2 seat buggy. Sway a way used to have a chart recommending bars for different applications that I cant seem to find.

Hopefully someone can recommend some bars for you.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

The bars SHOULD have the diameter stamped in the outer end. Not all brands of aftermarket bars do. My Hi Jumper has had 27mm short Sway-A-Way torsion bars since I built it in the 70s.

For the weight of the car, and unknown intended use It's hard to say what will be the right bars. For a swing axle car, to reduce positive camber, if the frame has a VW torsion housing (not an aftermarket one) I recommend you weld a piece of 1/4" square bar stock ( I use 1/4" keystock) to the bottom stop of the torsion housing ends.

Also, when you make an adjustment to the torsions, you NEED to drive the car around a little to resettle the torsions. Don't just set the jack down and judge it by that. And jumping on it is not the right way. Drive it. VW torsion suspension does NOT react to jumping on the car like some other forms of suspension do. But with ANY form of suspension, just sitting it down is not enough.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

You can make the stop removable if you make a set of spring plate retainers and weld a piece of 1/4" square bar to them, here is a set of SP retainers you can buy but you can make then cheaper. you weld the tabs to the torsion
and bolt the retainer to the tabs...

https://www.mooreparts.com/latest-rage-511105-vw-bug-chrome-spring-plate-retainers-pair/

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

earthquake's right.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

Thank you for all the responses.

My swing axle tube was fabricated by Chenowth and is not a stock vw tube. the Chenowth tube has a bolt on lower stop it is very heavy duty other than it is held in place by the lower 2 cover bolts- 3/8 class 8 bolts holding the bushing cover on. isnt adding the steel strap to hold in the arms in redundant? If I put the strap on how much clearance does it need between the strap and the arm I am guessing 1/16" I can find no instructions, write ups or YouTube of the installation. With the tube being and in-house fab and not stock VW I am guessing I am better off making these straps and tabs myself as I doubt the the fab housing is anywhere near a stock housing.

and again thank you for all the help.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
Thank you for all the responses.

My swing axle tube was fabricated by Chenowth and is not a stock vw tube. the Chenowth tube has a bolt on lower stop it is very heavy duty other than it is held in place by the lower 2 cover bolts- 3/8 class 8 bolts holding the bushing cover on. isnt adding the steel strap to hold in the arms in redundant? If I put the strap on how much clearance does it need between the strap and the arm I am guessing 1/16" I can find no instructions, write ups or YouTube of the installation. With the tube being and in-house fab and not stock VW I am guessing I am better off making these straps and tabs myself as I doubt the the fab housing is anywhere near a stock housing.

and again thank you for all the help.

I'm going to have to presume that when you say "swing axle tube", you are actually referring to the "torsion housing", a large diameter tube that houses the torsion bars and the ends provide a pivot point for the rear suspension.

As is normal in online discussions, whether on facebook or forums like this or any other such means of communication, pictures to show what you;re talking about help others help you.

Since there have been many outfits that have produced fabricated torsion housings over the decades, and individual producers have sometimes changed their products, photos, as I indicated above, would be needed to know how to configure travel limiters for your buggy. My Chenowth has a VW torsion housing in it.

The primary purpose behind spring plate straps is to keep the spring plate as it flexes with suspension movement, from slipping off the side of the bottom travel limit or stop. This is probably NOT an issue with your fabricated torsion housing, but might be.

Regardless whether the spring plates slipping off the stops is an issue for your car, there is still the issue of limiting the camber to reduce the tendency of your swing axle suspension to "jack".

I'm getting the impression from your words: "I can find no instructions, write ups or YouTube of the installation." that you are NOT aware of the bible to fans of VW-based offroad cars: HP Books' "Baja Bugs & Buggies" by Jeff Hibbard (and the current version proof read for him by me when we were racing Baja together).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Bugs-Buggies-VW-based-...amp;sr=8-1

The book has been around since the early 1980s, but still has a LOT of info applicable to building, prepping, maintaining and driving Baja Bugs and VW based buggies offroad. I strongly recommend you get it and read it.

If the suggested spring plate straps and stops on them or on the housing are not right for your situation, then maybe limit straps would work. I'm not real fond of limit straps, as they can stretch or otherwise fail. My Chenowth has limit straps all around, although it has coilover shocks all around. And I'm not the one who set it up. It's the way it was equipped when I acquired it recently.
SoCalBajas Member
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

Thank You dusty,
Actually I have 2 copies of that book one here in CA and one in Lake Havasu where the car is at. and yes the Torsion housing it was made by Chenowth. next time I go back I will take some pictures. I didn't take pictures last month as I was up to my ears with grease trying to adjust these swing arms and being pressed for time. I have so little time when I am out there about every other month. If I am lucky I get a day every other month to work on it unless projects can be taken back with me when I return to LA.
Thank You for putting up with me. I am going through it tip to tail to get it together functioning and register it and then to tear it all apart and have the frame sandblasted and repaint it. Thank you all I am learning allot.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rear axle camber Reply with quote

Well shoot. I went past there 2x a week and a 1/2 ago on my way to & from the SNORE race north of Kingman. Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: