Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

I have been sitting on an '82 diesel westy chassis for years now waiting for the day when I can finally build the UFWW(Ultimate Franken Westy Weekender). It still has it's original stock radiator and fan. At some point I was going to pole the Samba collective about any possible merits to that original rad that would warrant keeping it and restoring it if necessary. Otherwise, I was going to swap it out and update to a later model. I have both 1.9 and 2.1 radiator assemblies at my disposal. However, in reading something in a different post, I have become aware of some possible fitment problems with that. Can a 1.9 or 2.1 radiator assembly be swapped into an '82 diesel without any welding?

Thanks,

Hans
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

Yes no welding required. You will need to come up with a solution for the top radiator mount. I recall making some brackets from aluminum and using some small rubber mounts with studs vs the pin method. The weight is carried by the lower mounts anyhow that you will need, or have to modify the diesel ones.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

Some folks might take exception to being poled. Perhaps a poll is in order.

Those big 2.1 fan/shroud combos are really really heavy. I think if I were in a similar situation I'd consider mounting up one of those very powerful but lightweight Spal fans. The supplied wiring/relay kit is also considerably less complicated.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

Voice to text... Got to love it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hans
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

My 82 diesel now with a in-line 4 still has the original radiator. I had it record about 15 years ago maybe 20. I had a radiator shop flush and test it about 3 years ago when I rebuilt the rest of the cooling system. Until it leaks it is staying In there. I prefer the old radiator. However I am not a betting man so I collect the late model fan shroud and mounting brackets so it will be a easy swap if the time comes. Just my thoughts. It’s just a choice. Good luck. John
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

All of the real radiator shops have disappeared around here. Between the EPA and cash for clunkers, there just weren’t enough old style radiators out there to make a business.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Later style rad and shroud into '82 diesel? Reply with quote

Put in the later WBX radiator. Diesel Vanagon radiator weighs 23 pounds (copper), WBX radiator weighs 13.4 pounds (aluminum). The aluminum radiator will cool better because the walls are thinner, more air moving through. The same shroud and fan fit on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: