Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxeer, any honest reviews?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
That BMW M57 is one hell of a motor. I bet your X5 scoots. That is the motor to put in an LT40.

I noticed that Boxeer already did this but don't see it for sale on his website:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mwcycles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Honestly, selling this kind of conversion (vanagon, not the LT!) as a turnkey kit is searching for trouble... even if the kit itself is very well made, there is absolutely no way the vanogon trans will survive for a long time. The great low down torque, even if it feels smooth, is almost 3 times of the design limit... 1.8t torque is at much higher RPM, and still lwer. With the EA288, you almost never have to shift down, simly push the pedal and it goes, like an automatic. But this is very hard on the gearbox. So, if you don't know what you are doing (and don't have big money to spend on gearbox upgrades) it's easy to blame Greg for your trouble...
Also, thes modern diesel engines love good battery power, good grounds, anything less than perfect on the electric side will leave you with trouble codes popping up, not always related to battery problems in an obvious way. Again, easy to blame Greg and his electronics...
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

mreuter wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
That BMW M57 is one hell of a motor. I bet your X5 scoots. That is the motor to put in an LT40.

I noticed that Boxeer already did this but don't see it for sale on his website:

Link

https://www.boxeer.com/collections/all/products/volkswagen-lt-to-bmw-3-0-conversion-kit

I think that is the link to the kit
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

mwcycles wrote:
Honestly, selling this kind of conversion (vanagon, not the LT!) as a turnkey kit is searching for trouble....

Agreed. It is not a turn key kit at all. There are so many additional parts needed to complete the job. Intercooler system, tachometer connection, AC connection, starter, transaxle refurb & gearing change, etc. There is little or no mention of these things on the site or the very minimal instructions (which you are not allowed to get until after the purchase).

For those who are still interested in installing this kit, note that if you get the AC option and run the engine without finishing the AC system (flushing, leak test, charging, electrical), you will destroy the compressor. Unfortunately, Greg mentions nothing about this and puts the responsibilities on the installer. These compressors are variable displacement type and never to be run disconnected. This is a serious omission of important info or a lack of knowledge regarding the products being sold.
On another note, the fuel economy so far has been 23mpg mostly highway driving over 475 miles of mostly flat terrain in a lightly loaded syncro westy running 215/70/16 BFG’s and 1.14 3rd, .75 4th. Very disappointing. This engine produces plenty of power and seems to be tuned for that instead of fuel economy, so I hope to get the ecu re-tuned to improve those numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, Greg mentions nothing about this and puts the responsibilities on the installer.

If one does not know you cannot run an AC compressor dry, then this sort of job is way above your skill level.

The internet does not supplant expertise.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I think the concern here is that some newer variable displacement compressors no longer have a clutch, so when the belt is turning, so is the compressor. This wasn't the case with the older compressors which could easily just serve as a idler pulley when the A/C was disabled. Truthfully, that info should definitely be included with a kit like this.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Greg mentions nothing about this and puts the responsibilities on the installer.

If one does not know you cannot run an AC compressor dry, then this sort of job is way above your skill level.

Here here... good observation...

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

Correct: the internet can supply information, but not knowledge.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:

Correct: the internet can supply misinformation, but not knowledge.

FTFY. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think the concern here is that some newer variable displacement compressors no longer have a clutch, so when the belt is turning, so is the compressor. This wasn't the case with the older compressors which could easily just serve as a idler pulley when the A/C was disabled. Truthfully, that info should definitely be included with a kit like this.

Yes, and thank you for stating those facts. Way more helpful than the snarky, useless put-downs from others.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

VikingWagen wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yes, and thank you for stating those facts. Way more helpful than the snarky, useless put-downs from others.

Did you discus AC when you purchased? Its a part of the ordering process from the website.

"Choose Power Steering and/or AC options and place order."

Cluster Rebuild:

ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

What an interesting thread.

I have been eyeing the new Boxeer offering and have had conversations with people who actually have installed it. My impression is that if you want Greg to answer the phone you better not say anything negative about him. I think that is the reason that you don't get much reporting on the installs. I think most of those people are looking for help and they are afraid to burn bridges. I have also heard, as has been mentioned previously here, there is a lot more to purchase and install than just the kit. I'm pretty sure that some people misunderstand that upon purchase.

To add something further to this conversation, I am currently running the EE20 Subaru Diesel in my DOKA Syncro. The previous owner paid big money to have this engine installed. I have not had any issues and intend to run this engine in to the ground and then replace it. I do have a sour taste in my mouth based on the fact that this product was so incredibly pumped up by Boxeer, at one time with that gazillion page thread here on the Samba, and then completely abandoned with no support, parts or technical. I know people who have sold their van because of this. For this reason I am hesitant to give Boxeer more business. Will he at some point lose interest in his new offering and leave everyone high and dry, like he did with the EE20? I think that is a valid question. What would happen if you no longer had support?

I have no doubt that Greg is a super smart guy, with many talents. I just think that, from what I have heard and seen, that he may not be available when things are not going well. If that is going to be the case you better be super crafty and be able to figure out the custom hack/tune on the stock ECU. With any conversion, I think it is important to have really good mechanical skills in anticipation of the originator not being around. That is what is nice about the EJ22 and 25 conversions. Stock ECU with no tune that any good hobby mechanic can work on.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Im in the same boat your in with an EE20. Greg still supports, yet its limited because, well its no longer an option from him or subaru. Europen market and euro ebay will be the best option for parts

Cluster Rebuild:

ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Ocean, Yes I'm sure I can find parts. I'm pretty good with stuff like that. Luckily, I pretty much only drive around sea level, so I have not had the issues others have had at elevation.

0cean wrote:
Im in the same boat your in with an EE20. Greg still supports, yet its limited because, well its no longer an option from him or subaru. Europen market and euro ebay will be the best option for parts
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
Ocean, Yes I'm sure I can find parts. I'm pretty good with stuff like that. Luckily, I pretty much only drive around sea level, so I have not had the issues others have had at elevation.

0cean wrote:

do you notice a lot of tail pipe smoke?

Cluster Rebuild:

ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Yes, I call it the mosquito killer. It smokes more when cold and also while carrying some momentum and letting of the gas(compression braking) It seems to get a little better when hot. It's a stinker for sure.

0cean wrote:
ScottShelley wrote:

0cean wrote:

do you notice a lot of tail pipe smoke?
carzdaddyjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I have a Boxeer conversion in my 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro. I am working through an issue now, but once this is solved, I will be happy to give an honest assessment. If you are not positive what you want to do just yet, and if you don’t have a good mechanic with TDI conversion experience, I strongly recommend you wait for my response.
carzdaddyjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

“I have been eyeing the new Boxeer offering and have had conversations with people who actually have installed it. My impression is that if you want Greg to answer the phone you better not say anything negative about him. I think that is the reason that you don't get much reporting on the installs. I think most of those people are looking for help and they are afraid to burn bridges. I have also heard, as has been mentioned previously here, there is a lot more to purchase and install than just the kit. I'm pretty sure that some people misunderstand that upon purchase.”

This... I will say I have received decent support in the past. And you are VERY correct when you write about there being a lot more to install than just the kit. I will be happy to provide my review shortly when I find out the outcome of an issue we are working through.
carzdaddyjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I have a Boxeer conversion in my 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro. I am working through an issue now, but once this is solved, I will be happy to give an honest assessment. If you are not positive what you want to do just yet, and if you don’t have a good mechanic with TDI conversion experience, I strongly recommend you wait for my response.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

carzdaddyjr wrote:

If you know, you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: