Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxeer, any honest reviews?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jjaramillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Hi. I am just going to install the boxeer kit in a sycro with Jx 1.6 td Diesel engine. Those that already have I installed the kit where is the cooler for the intercooler location that you are using. ?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I just did a boxeer conversion with a friend on his 90 westy 2wd. It requires custom touches and some forethought ahead of time to make sure you have everything on hand, such as the intercooler mount. This is left this way as each van is different (eg 2wd vs 4wd or custom options) and vanagon owners have preferences. By the pathetic look of this thread they also have too many opinions.

It tooks us 4 days to do the swap and we had fun doing it. The end result is an unbelievable transformation. Smooth, powerful, quiet. I would recommend it. My buddy had his transaxle beefed up at AA at the same time as well as new cooling system and a bunch of other gowesty mods. What a nice travelling package now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87TinTopSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

My first post. I have been an Aircraft Mechanic and Avionics Technician for 35 years (Lic A&P). Based on my research I will be purchasing a Boxeer 2.0 CR this week expecting delivery beginning of August. I emailed Greg at Boxeer concerning gearing and got a reply very quickly. I guess I should describe my 87 Tin Top Syncro. I just put a new 2.1 in and I cannot handle how gutless it is. It pulled Siskyou summit on I5 at 55MPH with a new engine. I live in the PNW and look forward to running my Syncro all over the USA in the near future.

Upcoming DIY Build:
1987 Tin Top Syncro

BOXEER
2.0 CR with Pwr Steering

AA TRANSAXLE
Rebuild Transaxle with 1.14 (3rd) and 0.70 (4th)
Rebuild / Locker Conversion Front Diff

Go Westy
Decoupler
Solid Shaft (CV Delete)

Intercooler Heat Exchanger and Transaxle Oil Cooler TBD

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/b]
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

87TinTopSyncro wrote:
My first post. I have been an Aircraft Mechanic and Avionics Technician for 35 years (Lic A&P). Based on my research I will be purchasing a Boxeer 2.0 CR this week expecting delivery beginning of August. I emailed Greg at Boxeer concerning gearing and got a reply very quickly. I guess I should describe my 87 Tin Top Syncro. I just put a new 2.1 in and I cannot handle how gutless it is. It pulled Siskyou summit on I5 at 55MPH with a new engine. I live in the PNW and look forward to running my Syncro all over the USA in the near future.

Upcoming DIY Build:
1987 Tin Top Syncro

BOXEER
2.0 CR with Pwr Steering

AA TRANSAXLE
Rebuild Transaxle with 1.14 (3rd) and 0.70 (4th)
Rebuild / Locker Conversion Front Diff

Go Westy
Decoupler
Solid Shaft (CV Delete)

Intercooler Heat Exchanger and Transaxle Oil Cooler TBD

[/b]

Welcome to Samba. Please let us know how its going and some long term updates if you could.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

not sure if somehow these should be merged?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9795134#9795134

4wdDoka wrote:
Anyone with an LT considering the 3.0 BMW option from Boxeer should read this first. In short, the kit and the support are not what is advertised.

Here is a list of highlights of the issues that I have. I will go into the details of each point below.

Absolutely not Turn-key
No Instructions included
Kit shipped in stages
Kit has to be completed by you
No air-intake
No mounting brackets for accelerator, intercooler, oil cooler, oil filter housing
No fuel filter
Support at Boxeer’s convenience
No mention that the axle smashes oil pan and requires a lift kit

The Boxeer website and Greg, the owner, will tell you that this kit is turn-key. I thought maybe I had the wrong understanding of what turn-key meant so I looked it up. According to a quick Google search turnkey is defined as; “of or involving the provision of a complete product or service that is ready for immediate use.”

When my LT broke down, I had few options on how to repair it. I could rebuild the underpowered stock motor, have a 2.5TDI installed in Washington, custom build my own swap, or get the “turn-key” Boxeer 3.0 BMW kit.
I considered the rebuild and installing the 2.5TDI so I shipped my LT up to Seattle. After being charged $900 to find out my motor was dead (I already knew that and that’s why I had it shipped to Seattle from northern California) I decided against the rebuild and 2.5TDI. Also, the timeline on the 2.5TDI or the rebuild of the stock motor was completely unknown just on the parts front due to Covid and shipping parts from Germany. No way to know when I could get the motor, parts for it, when the shop could do the build, and no word on the cost. So, I decided to look at other options.

After talking to my buddy about options we both thought that maybe the Boxeer could work. My buddy has a shop that only deals with T3s and Deloreans. At the time he had recently installed the Boxeer 2.0 common rail into a T3. We were both impressed by the mounting and the motor is incredible. I have a Jetta with that motor and I absolutely love it. We reached out to Greg about get the 3.0 kit for my LT.
(Side note: that 2.0 common rail went through 3 turbos before it was running properly. All after I had ordered the M57 kit. Such bad timing.)

We found an M57 motor quickly and I ordered the Boxeer kit. Greg had told us that he would ship the kit within 3 weeks. I just had to get the factory flywheel out and ship it to him. I did that and shipped to him right away (of course, at my expense). I shrugged that off and was excited to proceed. Three weeks apparently meant 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, the adaptor plate, custom mounts, ECU, accelerator and flywheel arrived. Some of the hardware for the plate were missing but luckily we had some in Dave’s shop.
We called Greg and promised the rest of the kit and installation instructions were on their way within 2 weeks. We had everything we needed to mount the motor. There was some minor cutting in the engine bay and the removal of the sway bar. Greg was fully available to help explain how to get the motor and the tranny mounted. Within two days we had the motor installed and we were ready for the rest of the kit. One thing Greg did not know is that the stock 2.4d had a much larger starter than the 2.4. He was apologetic and offered to reimburse the cost of the starter. It was a simple oversight and I ordered a new starter and had it shipped from Germany.

Over three months later the second package arrived from Boxeer. It had the intercooler, downpipe, oil filter housing, a fuel pump, piping, a lot of clamps, elbows, and some end caps for the coolant reservoir. Still, no instructions were included. We called Greg and said he would send them. In the meantime, we were eager to get continue. We Facetimed and we discussed the wiring and fuel delivery. We wanted to start the motor!

We were ready install all the boost pipes and coolant pipes and not one was cut to length or beaded. Months had passed and I still hadn’t received installation instructions. I had to watch the video Greg posted on YouTube and pause to see how the plumbing was routed. Then Greg disappeared for a month to race his Beetle then he went on vacation to France. No communication at all in this two-month period. Eventually after continuous calls and texts, Greg sent the measurements for the pipes so I could cut and bead the pipes myself. Several weeks later he shipped a tool for beading the pipes.

After figuring out the routing of the intercooler and coolant lines I was ready to mount the intercooler, oil cooler and oil filter housing. All of which had no brackets or instructions on mounting locations. They were the same parts you could order on Amazon and had mounting holes for mounting brackets made for whatever application. Boxeer did not provide any brackets for the intercooler, oil cooler, the oil filter and the accelerator pedal. I will have to have those custom made at my expense. All this takes a lot of time and support from the seller of the kit.

All of this while Greg is 100% unreachable for two months and I have a 4 ton vehicle parked at a shop collecting storage fees.

Coincidentally the owner of the blue LT in the Boxeer videos lives about an hour from me. I was regularly in contact with him and asked about the progress of his LT. He had been waiting for delivery for three years and was about to take delivery of his LT with the M57. But, Greg didn’t deliver it because he had issues with boost pipes popping off and the front axle smashing the oil pan! Luckily the blue LT is getting a full custom suspension. But, I found this out from Richard, the owner. Greg never mentioned to me that if I actually want to drive my LT with the Boxeer kit, that I will need a custom suspension or hope that a dump in the road doesn’t smash my oil pan.

After Greg was finished with his summer vacation, he would answer his phone again. I still do not have my installation instructions. My friend with his shop will not even look at this disaster of a project after his experience with installing 3 turbos in the Boxeer 2.0 common rail for loyal customer. I was completely ripped off and I simply wanted my money back. I wanted nothing to do with this products. I continuously offered to remove the kit and send it all back to him. In my opinion, this kit is absolutely not turn-key and is worth half of what I paid for it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Curious….does anyone know how many LTs are in the USA?
My uneducated assumption would be “not enough to support a kit, much less “instructions”.
Instructions are not feasible for low production. The difficulty of producing instructions rises exponentially with the number of components.
Not feasible for a guy out in the woods, trying to raise a family and run a business.
He’s doing the work of 5 people. Nobody can do that, (well) for very long.

Perhaps it’s “turnkey for a experienced master fabricator familiar with engine conversions on the LT.”
or
“Relatively
turnkey for an experienced master fabricator familiar with engine conversions on the LT.”

Think just for a moment about the continuum that “turnkey” implies..
Starting with walking out to a Toyota and “turning the key”.

I think its reasonable that no engine conversion should use the word “turnkey” applied.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The difficulty of producing instructions rises exponentially with the number of components.

Further perspective…..

I think “Turnkey Diesel Engine Conversion kit”
would be a little easier than
“Turnkey Vanagon Restoration Kit” which is an absurdity.

…..engine kit is somewhat bounded in comparison, for an experienced “master fabricator” that has his own shop, tools, and timeline.

I am super bummed for people who get in the middle between these two extremes.

Credit to artist “B Kliban”)
The person can be very skilled but if they’re missing any element, skill, tool, time, its like a “gulf”. A stopper.

You see incredible builds in the internet and its made to look so easy, so doable, so “turnkey”.
But there’s huge skill, knowledge, artistry involved that cannot be shown nor explained.
Theres only one Steve Jobs, one Elon Musk, for examples at the far end of the spectrum.
Greg is not that caliber but he’s farther “towards that end of the spectrum” than almost anyone you’ll likely meet.

Expectations……

“Turnkey” is not a good word to use.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:01 am; edited 3 times in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
My uneducated assumption would be “not enough to support a kit, much less “instructions”..

well, must be enough if it was done before:

4wdDoka wrote:

Coincidentally the owner of the blue LT in the Boxeer videos lives about an hour from me.

so low production or not, there was already one done. should have been enough data/info to pass on to this guy.

i dunno. only reciprocating oil furnace's i'm interested in are the ones installed in 10 ton and up equipment. i tapped out with them in passenger cars in about 2001 or so.

i will say, we don't know both sides of the story here but if the guy wasn't retuning calls etc that's bullshit... again unless it was laid out to the client he wasn't going to be available. when you're a 1 man show you have an obligation to keep your customers in the loop (in my opinion anyway)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Sodo wrote:
My uneducated assumption would be “not enough to support a kit, much less “instructions”..

well, must be enough if it was done before:

I didn't mean enough knowledge, I meant enough profit in the kit sales volumes to invest a solid week to locate, qualify, and hire an experienced technical videographer. After that comes the job to produce the instructions.
Provided that someone took all the necessary pics during the (one) build.
Maybe it could get started if done in tandem with build #2.

The instructions would still be evolving for 2,3, 4 revisions.
Not possible for only a "couple kits" - the volume of LT conversions sold would have to be in the tens, 20s etc before you could get good instructions sorted.
And the kit would have to be "static", = NOT changing, or upgrading, or customizable.

'Nigh impossible' is the operative phrase for "LT conversion engine instructions".

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I perused the Boxeer site and wasn't able to find anywhere that they described either Vanagon or LT conversion as 'turn-key'. Maybe it was my selective vision acting up.

Regardless, I would not bolt one of the later TDI engines to a Vanagon trans without a dual-mass flywheel which the kit precludes. That's the type of thing that gives diesels a bad name. When the trans blows up, the owner will blame the fact that it is a diesel rather than the fact that it was installed with an inadequate flywheel/clutch assembly that transferred excessive pounding power pulses to the trans...
wasatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Bumping this thread.

Anyone have recent reviews/thoughts/comments? Considering this route...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

wasatch wrote:
Bumping this thread.

Possibly the quietness on this thread may be your answer.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
wasatch wrote:
Bumping this thread.

Possibly the quietness on this thread may be your answer.

I really like T3/Chris responses on here to his products. Even Ron at Bus Depot chimes in on here if something comes up.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Not sure if Greg monitors samba. All the negitive people here with there own personal intrests makes this place a waste of time to some point. Yes, this comment included moderators also.

Maybe someone will comment on the new engines, i hope.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

I'd like to do a swap from a 1.9 TDI to a Boxeer 2.0. What does a running 1.9 AHU resale for? Smile Then I can do community review and showcasing at events.
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

From what I understand, there is a secret society of converters, who are afraid to go public for fear of having the limited support they are receiving revoked.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
I'd like to do a swap from a 1.9 TDI to a Boxeer 2.0. What does a running 1.9 AHU resale for? Smile Then I can do community review and showcasing at events.

I'll give you 500 bucks Razz
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Thanks for acknowledging and agreeing to pay for shipping. 😂
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

An AHU is easily tuned to as much torque as the expensive (and weak) Vanagon transmissions can handle WITH the DMF installed. Installing an engine with considerably more torque and without the DMF just means you will pay a LOT of money for power you either can't use or you will be replacing transmissions very frequently. Greg's solution to the issue is a good one. He installed the Porsche PDK transmission in his van, but many aren't up for that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

How much does 'the stuff' cost.....to install a Dual Mass Flywheel?
Are there enough DMF parts out there for everyone who wants it?

PDK sounds exclusive and expensive.
How much would it cost to get a PDK?
I'm thinking that there won't be more than 5 PDK-vans in the whole world.
And it will be awhile before we know how far it can push the brick.
We'll never know if these 5 vans are garage queens.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: