Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxeer, any honest reviews?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Boxeer, any honest reviews? Reply with quote

Hi all!

Ive noticed on the forums here that all the Boxeer threads seem to fall silent during the installations.

Does anyone have any real insight into this conversion?

It makes me really concerned that all the threads go dark. Whats the catch here on such an expensive conversion?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

It's not that they fall silent during installation, it's that they fall silent after installation because they're too busy driving and enjoying their van to post anymore.
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

Sounds like a good response. But It doesnt seem to hold up when I see followups on other threads.

Anyone who has an installation (especially those who have done the work themselves) willing to speak up and answer questions?

I work in sales, so I love peer reviews rather than relying on calls to Boxeer direct. Sales folks have good ways of glossing over real issues.
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

I guess i forgot to ask.. 4gears4tires do you have the boxeer kit?
Question
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

No, it's on my list of "things I want but don't really need but could buy but then I'd have to take the time to install it and I do have other more pressing projects and wouldn't it be nice to just enjoy the van for once instead of working on it constantly."

You know, that list.

I wouldn't be able to post here so much if I was off having fun in my van.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

@patricia_danielson there's a YouTube link here that shows the Boxeer diesel conversion being installed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonmnyGl1co&t=2283s

Not sure what transmission you have in your Vanagon. If you have a manual transmission then your Vanagon is probably a candidate for a Boxeer conversion. Apparently the conversion isn't compatible with an automatic transmission, and I've not received a clear answer as to why that is.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

I guess I'm too weary around direct marketing materials from Boxeer.

Anyone interested in sharing personal experiences with the kit?

I know a lot of shops around the US have done conversions, as well as some individuals.

Anyone care to give us a rundown on the details of the installation? Hows it going a month, a year after the installation?

Any issues you've run into?

(I've got a 1983 diesel full camper)
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

Have you PM'd MReutter and asked him how his conversion is going? From looking at his thread where he is documenting the conversion, it looks like things are going smoothly with his conversion, but he's just short on time to work on it consistently and to update his thread.

This upright (15 degree) Boxeer conversion is very new. I think he's only been selling it since last Fall, so there hasn't been that much time for impressions to be posted. One thing I've found over the years, is that within the Vanagon hobby, a relatively small number are active members on the Samba. And almost none of the Vanagon shop owners are active members.

I certainly understand your interest in hearing some real world stories about this conversion. I check for updates on here, too, and it has definitely crossed my mind that there is a lack of information being shared. Hopefully your thread will bring some impressions out of the wood work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

no experience with your direct question but there have been quite a few issues where the diesel was pounding the shit of gearboxes in very short order...like 10-15k miles. here is one thread that comes to mind

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8944368#8944368

another post from that same thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8963989#8963989

and another asking the same question as you

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711613&highlight=tdi+transmission

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
It's not that they fall silent during installation, it's that they fall silent after installation because they're too busy driving and enjoying their van to post anymore.
BOOM........ Wink Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

Maybe their silent because they are working hard at rebuilding broken transaxles.

I have messaged a few of the people here that are doing conversions, but none of them seem to want to discuss the progress. They all point me to chat with Boxeer directly.

In the Subaru conversion scene, everyone is super open about it.

It's strange.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

If you're on Vanagon Owners on fb, the following owners posted about their complete boxeer conversions...

Stefanie Eyestone Weir
Eliot Vancil

It may be worth a visit and search. FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

thats a good lead! I havent spoken to those folks about their experiences. Ill reach out to them and see what kind of information they can provide.

In the meantime, anyone who's done the kit here, I'd love some help on my potential purchase!
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

You know if your questioning anything about the Boxeer kit or not getting any feedback from owners of the kit and your interested in going diesel, there are other diesel conversion kits out there to explore. I have a, self installed FAS diesel kit and I know of another samba member with the same kit.
I'd always be happy to share my experiences/thoughts. PM any time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

Thanks GreggK, I might hit you up if it turns out the Boxeer kit has no folks that are interested in giving direct feedback on it.

That would be a real red flag to me about Boxeer
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
no experience with your direct question but there have been quite a few issues where the diesel was pounding the shit of gearboxes in very short order...like 10-15k miles. here is one thread that comes to mind

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8944368#8944368

another post from that same thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8963989#8963989

and another asking the same question as you

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711613&highlight=tdi+transmission

If you are using a dual mass flywheel this is far less likely to happen. TDI conversions in Europe typically use a DM flywheel and we don't hear about their transaxles eating it.
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

If you are using a dual mass flywheel this is far less likely to happen. TDI conversions in Europe typically use a DM flywheel and we don't hear about their transaxles eating it.

That's what I did. I went from a stock diesel to a TDI. I installed a DMF. I've only done about 5-8K km (1k km towing a car) so far but no issues. Smoother too. DMF clutch kits are quite economical now anyways. Mine is less powerful than the boxeer though.
patricia_danielson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

I dont want this to get too distracted off the Boxeer topic. I know Boxeer doesnt do transaxles. Maybe I am wrong?

Any Boxeer installs?

A guy from NJ got in touch with me, doesnt have his boxeer anymore. Apparently it was such a nightmare that he sold his van.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

patricia_danielson wrote:
I dont want this to get too distracted off the Boxeer topic.

IMO that is very pertinent to the Boxeer topic. AFAIK, the Boxeer installation does not work with the dual mass flywheel.
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer honest review Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
AFAIK, Boxeer installation does not work with the dual mass flywheel.

Correct, the DMF only fit in the Diesel housing and larger south african bell housing. The WTB one is to small
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: