Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best anti-theft measure for bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericallenjazz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

What are the best anti-theft measures for VW buses with manual transmission? Fuel cut-off? Club? Boot? All of the above?

(guessing that fuel cut-off won't help much since it would be easy to pop it into neutral and just tow it away)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

ericallenjazz wrote:
What are the best anti-theft measures for VW buses with manual transmission? Fuel cut-off? Club? Boot? All of the above?

(guessing that fuel cut-off won't help much since it would be easy to pop it into neutral and just tow it away)

Very subjective question, what I will say is you want something that is easy for you to use, verses something that takes a fair amount of bother each time you get in or out of your van.

No method is fool proof and any car can be hoisted up onto a car carrier in a few minutes and it might not even register as out of the ordinary with your neighbors. One company in Portland, Oregon literally stole thousands of vintage cars and truck and sold them for scrap without anybody trying to run them off or doing so much as taking their picture.

They just cruised the streets looking for vehicles that weren't being driven regularly and came back with the tow truck when they were sure the owner wasn't around. They had been doing this for a decade or so before someone figured out their scheme. I guess with the number of security cameras out there today, it would be harder for someone to pull this off, so maybe one thing to do would be to mount a security camera in plain sight to scare the professional with the tow truck off.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

I don't know if it is the best, because I've never had anyone try to steal my car, but what I do is... wait a minute...

Here's a simple one I have heard of: Put a disconnect on the battery and get an engine compartment lock. Keeps people from snooping in the engine bay, too.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

ericallenjazz wrote:
it would be easy to pop it into neutral and just tow it away)

^^^^^
THIS

Keep it in a locked garage. Otherwise if someone wants it they can use a tow truck and take it.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

Motion alarm?

Yeah they're too sensitive sometimes, but it would go off with the tow truck approach, drive off approach, tilt flatbed truck approach, etc.

Put on an engine lid switch.

Easy use with a key fob control.

For longer periods away from your bus, wheel boots front and rear..... all depends on how serious you want to get, I guess.

Good luck!
Hobo.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

don't make it all nice and shiny
keep it old, dirty smelling funky and full of questionable stickers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

locked garage when you aren't driving it, and keep an eye on it.

My dad spent some time in Asia after WWII. He said that things can be so bad sometimes even watching your car someone will steal from it. They could park a jeep where they could see it and anyone who approached it, except maybe for the lower 1/2 because a bush was in the way. When they'd walk out 15 minutes after having a lunch the tires and transmission etc would be gone. Someone would jack it up a couple inches, not enough to notice and that was that.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

Trunk monkey
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

Boot
Club
Engine lid lock
Don’t take risks

I have two stories to pass on to you guys. Coincidentally this happened to two separate customers and they were both women

1). 1968 camper. Parked on the street in Venice, Ca. Owner is out for a walk and is heading home. Looks up and sees a couple shady guys in a car across the street from her bus just eyeballing it. She goes inside and retrieves her locking boot. Comes out and installs it. The guys drove away.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

2). Lady customer has a very nice 1974 tin top camper. She drives to a park where she’s meeting people. Locks her bus and carries stuff over the rise to the picnic area. A short while later she returns to her bus and finds a flat bed tow truck backed up to it. The guys see her coming and split.

Share your stories
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

I live in northern Ohio, where older Honda vehicles are a huge target. And there's practically nothing you can do short of locking the car in a building to prevent a determined thief from stealing one. I've heard stories of people having boots cut off, cars towed, or stripped where they sat.

My Bus is not a big target around here, it's just an "old car" to most people. And it's rare enough that if you stole it you'd stick out like a sore thumb. So I pretty much just lock mine when I park it, and lock it in my garage when I'm not driving it.

It really depends on where you are located. In some areas Busses are not desirable theft cars, in other areas, they are incredibly desirable theft cars.

A locking boot will prevent most thieves except people with tow trucks and angle grinders.

Clubs don't really do much, honestly.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

Somebody who had their Honda stolen told me the reason was that a single Honda key would fit several different cars.

What you’re trying to do it make it hard for someone to steal so they’ll leave. A determined thief can take just about anything
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

I'm going with a multi-prong approach. Disable the ignition, lock the engine lid, rear-wheel and tire removed, an oil field chain around the front axle beam, locked to a pipe fence, and a planned Lojack system. Covers the bases. As these things go up in value, $600 isn't too much moola. I don't know if they have coverage in this area.. probably not.... I live close to Mexico, so I am concerned about it. Vehicles go missing around here and are never seen again. One of my old Snap-on dealers had a truck stolen and was purported to be in the custody of a Chief of Police in Villa Acuna, Mexico. Driving it around like he owned it.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

someone on FB posted their single cab was stolen from a locked storage unit. word on the street is thieves are sticking tracking units on cars and following them to places they park. they stake out the car and finally steal it.

do your best in terms of security, insure the fuck out of it and keep a close eye on things is about the best you can do.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

Having the right insurance company helps. I use American collectors through my
Regular USAA that I’ve used for 40 years.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Somebody who had their Honda stolen told me the reason was that a single Honda key would fit several different cars.

This is true for most 90's Japanese cars. For example, Subarus from 92-00 literally used less than 20 separate blanks. Speaking from experience, once they wear a little bit, they might as well have 3 blanks.

I was told this was because the Japanese have an exceptionally safe society, where car theft is almost a non-issue.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

CA DMV lost all their data to computer hackers according to new articles. The hackers can sell VIN and location.

That said, I forgot about the Trunk Money option. Funnier than hell.

Link

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
I'm going with a multi-prong approach. Disable the ignition, lock the engine lid, rear-wheel and tire removed, an oil field chain around the front axle beam, locked to a pipe fence, and a planned Lojack system. Covers the bases. As these things go up in value, $600 isn't too much moola. I don't know if they have coverage in this area.. probably not.... I live close to Mexico, so I am concerned about it. Vehicles go missing around here and are never seen again. One of my old Snap-on dealers had a truck stolen and was purported to be in the custody of a Chief of Police in Villa Acuna, Mexico. Driving it around like he owned it.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was in El Paso for work and his brand new Silverado got stolen. Only 2 weeks old. Insurance company detective found it in Juarez and the police there recovered it, but seized it and made it a police vehicle. Insurance wouldn’t pay out because it was “recovered” by police, even though the Mexican police wouldn’t give it back. He had to keep making payments til he paid it off, or risk losing his security clearance for bad credit.

Removing the ignition rotor is a quick and easy trick to prevent a bus from being driven away. If I’m going out of town and feeling really paranoid, I’ll jack up a wheel, pop the hubcap, and adjust the drum brake completely tight with the adjusting stars. When you return , Re adjust that drum to unlock it. Next trip , pick a different wheel to do it to. Hard for thieves to drag it away with even one locked drum, and you keep the brakes nice and continually adjusted. Some thieves in Tucson (there’s tons of them and few cops) were smart enough to bring a rotor and got my 73 Thing running, but my wheel/brake/lug nut tricks saved me. They did ruin the switch , column lock, and bearing though.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

A lawyer would end that scenario quickly.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: best anti-theft measure for bus? Reply with quote

Lawyer???

In Mexico???

Laugh out loud!!! "We don't need no stinkin' lawyers!!!" *said in a bandit accent*

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: