Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just thought Id share the steps I took to restore a dealer tag that I came across. This was the original dealer for my car, so I am excited to have it. It was in pretty ratty shape and took a crack at a 'period correct' restoration. Since they were originally never painted that precisely, I figured that it was something I could handle.

I borrowed some supplies from the printmaking department at the college I work at: rubber roller and oil inks that typically used with the etching plates.

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With Supplies:

Blue Background. For this step I used a small paint brush and thinned the ink (mineral spirits?), the ink is very thick so thinning is important in order to retain the textured background on the metal frame:

After the blue ink dried (took a few days), I applied the white ink on the lettering. I did not thin the ink during this step because I was afraid it would run off the surface of the letters:

Final Result. ...I should note that this ink is typically used on paper and is absorbed during the drying process, but when applied to metal it takes forever to dry, like a few weeks (not kidding). I even placed it in front of a space heater to accelerate the process, but it sure took its sweet time. In the future I would experiment with thinning the ink or using a different paint/ink:

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial Reply with quote

Wow that turned out very nice. I’ve got a few of those that need attention
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial Reply with quote

Can you give up the pantone numbers on the blue and white used?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Can you give up the pantone numbers on the blue and white used?

Im guessing reflex blue or 2188 and the white might be just Opaque White.
If i was going to use an ink i would use a UV ink, it would dry right away if you had a UV lamp and hold up better in the long run. Just my two cents.

Great job knewknew looks' good. I have a couple i need to restore/fix

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023

Last edited by 56Cabrio on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial Reply with quote

That's a cool plate frame, good job with it.

There's a show coming up soon in Asheville, isn't there? I was just down in NC for the Winter Volksfest in Raleigh, but I've been meaning to check out that Asheville show as well.
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer License Plate/Tag Frame Restoration - Tutorial Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
That's a cool plate frame, good job with it.

There's a show coming up soon in Asheville, isn't there? I was just down in NC for the Winter Volksfest in Raleigh, but I've been meaning to check out that Asheville show as well.

Thanks! I would love to go to a show, however I am now 7 hrs north in Virginia. Asheville is such cool town though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: