Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Float like a butterfly ....................
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzy G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Float like a butterfly .................... Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I recently bought my first VW Very Happy A lovely Type 3 that needs a little lovin' (read - a lot Wink ). I'm currently getting it put through rego and I'm pretty sure it'll be ok, but I do have a few issues that I would appreciate some advice on.

Firstly, "El Notcho" drives ok, but it tends to "float" a lot. There's a lot of play in the steering, but it still handles ok (for a car made in the late 60's). It's also got it's nose pointing to the sky like it's trying to smell out something interesting (the reason I think it's a bit floaty). So, how do I fix this? I've read the FAQ's on lowering it, but I'm a "visual" guy with little mechanical skills, so I'm a bit confused as what to do (the local VW mech said he'd do teh front and back for $400, which sounds a bit pricey to me). So advice on this would be tops.

Secondly, there's a particularly loud "whirring" noise coming from the transmission. It appears to be coming from near the gear stick, but I think it's just a referred noise from further back. Are the gear boxes on these things expensive to fix? It's just with a baby on the way, funds are limited at the moment, but I'd like to keep driving it. Is it likely to go bang with continued driving? I'm planning on draining the gearbox oil this weekend, anything I should look for?

Apologies if this stuff has been covered before, I just couldn't find anything through searching Crying or Very sad

Thanks for your patience with this "Novice Notcher"

Cheers
Jazzy
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, fill out your profile/signature so we know exactly what you have (year, model, transmission, etc.) and where you are because chances are good that there's someone nearby to help.

Second, buy a Bentley shop manual and it will help you a LOT in diagnosing and working on your car because nobody can do it better and with love than you Wink

Third, get the proper wheels and tires (with air pressure) on the car, get a front-end alignment, and work from there. If the ball joints need replacing, do that first then alignment. If you're going to have a mechanic do it then get a little more detail by what he means by "doing the front and back"...especially since the back most likely won't need to be touched. A mechanic that has worked on, and is familiar with, the Type 3 is worth any extra money you may have to pay over one who is not familiar with the T3. There are things about them that are different (and way better) than a T1 (But) or T2 (Bus).

Fourth, get on the free email list at www.vwtype3.org. Excellent source of T3 help from around the globe.

Fifth, welcome! Very Happy
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jazzy G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Toby

Mine is a manual (but at the moment it feels more like I'm stirring porridge with a big stick. Although I apparently now have the bits to fix it, now to find the time Very Happy )

I have a Haynes manual (found it cheap at a 2nd hand bookshop) which has lots of writing and not many pictures Sad Does the Bentley have lots of pictures? As I don't read too good and I'm not it that fancy book learnin', so pictures would be good. As for doing it myself, I'm happy to have a go, especially considering we now have 2 cars, so if I make as fist of it (likely) then we're not stranded Wink

I reckon the front end's seen better days (considering that it's carrying more grease than Castrol!) So I'm thinkning the ball joints probably need replacing. Is it difficult? As for "doing the front and back" he was talking about lowering it. He mentioned that the back was easier to do than the front but this is contrary to what I've read here. Maybe he's just trying to justify the cost.

Consider me subscribed Very Happy Any other sites worth knowing about?

Finally, thanks Very Happy I love forums, you generally find a lot of very helpful folk and this one is no exception.

Cheers
Jazzy

68 Notch
95 Ford Fairmont V8
72 Datsun 1600 (510) Improved Production Race Car
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whirring noise you are hearing at the gear shift is the shifter bushing. It is an inexpensive part, but it takes more than one set of hands to replace. What year is your car. Late models are easier to change the bushing than early models. At least it seems that way for this girl.
Cheers and Welcome
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lower the car yourself for free but if you're not mechanically inclined it would be best to have someone else do it. $400, at least in US dollars, is a rip-off! If you know of anyone who has lowered their Bug by themselves then they can help you. A search in this forum will give you plenty of hits for lowering/raising a T3. The front is very similar to the rear, which gives us a big advantage over the T1 crowd Very Happy

The Bentley has many more pictures! And technical specifications, too! Both are good manuals in my opinion and an owner should have both. But the Bentley is the default manual to have.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, add yourself to my Frapper, we need more Aussie's represented Very Happy
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners
The First Invasion
67stang302
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be rebuilding and lowering a front end here shortly for my buddy's 71 square (71vwsquare) Is there enough interest to justify taking the time to take pictures along the way? To give a visual to those who are unfamiliar and possibly a step by guide how to that clould be posted with the lowering sticky?
We are going to be replacing all the ball joint and tie rod ends plus giving it a three spline drop in about two weeks and all out of the car so pics could be pretty detailed.

Jon

SBSeven 1 YR and still going

59 Kombi laying beam
64 type 34
bbugman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a DIY with pics Dancing

edit: because I can't type Embarassed

"That beer I had for breakfast, wasn't bad, so I had one more... for dessert"-Johnny Cash
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
BTW, add yourself to my Frapper, we need more Aussie's represented Very Happy

Daniel Baum needs to get Israel on the map too. You wanna harass him over on the t3.org list or should I?

'course, who am I to talk .. haven't added *myself* to it either. Laughing
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the steering is loose/wandering, you need the following tools:

1) dime
2) 15mm box end wrench

loosen the locking nut on the top of the steering box. use said dime to adjust the play out of the worm gear (but not tight, just take out the slack) tighten said locking nut and drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Brian showed me that and it fixed my steering. Took...what?...5-10 minutes? Super simple but you may need to jack up the front end of the car a couple inches.
The First Invasion
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
if the steering is loose/wandering, you need the following tools:

1) dime
2) 15mm box end wrench

loosen the locking nut on the top of the steering box. use said dime to adjust the play out of the worm gear (but not tight, just take out the slack) tighten said locking nut and drive.

Make sure the 4 bolts that hold the steering box cover are tight before adjusting the worm play. They are known to get loose.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67stang302
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going to make a DIY with pictures and step by step process of lowering a type 3 front end. I've done 3 Type 3 front ends so far and lost count of the bug beams so I have a decent amount of knowledge to do this.

The beam will be out of the car so my goal is to get a good set of pics and a good write up so a novice will feel ok with doing this them selfs.

This means I'll have to have someone help with the write up part (my grammer and spelling suck)

I'll hopefully post this in about 2 weeks or so.
Jon

SBSeven 1 YR and still going

59 Kombi laying beam
64 type 34
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be the front upper sway bar being loose. Make sure the left grub screw is tight, and then adjust it on the right side. To adjust it, loosen the right grub screw, and then tighten the bolt in the end of the torsion bar / trailing arm, then tighten the grub screw back up. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jazzy G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks all. I love this place Very Happy

Annie,

Thanks, I've got the shifter thing and plan on putting it in on the weekend along with the quickshift. I hope that's all it is.

Toby,

$400 was AUS dollars which is probably about $7.50 US Laughing But the reason I bought this car is I want to get into fix/modifying my own vehicles and so am not really keen on spending $400 on something I reckon with a bit of guidance I can do myself. Anyway I reckon $400 sounds expensive whether it's Kangarubels or US dollars!

AS for the Bentley, where's the best place to source them? Are they readily available? And how are they generally? Btw, consider me "Frapped" Very Happy

Jon,

That would be tops! The more pictures the better Very Happy

vwfye,

Once I clean all the gunk and old grease off the steering box I'll check everything for tightness. Thanks for the suggestion Very Happy

Russ,

Thanks, will do.

Bob,

Thanks also. I've heard you're a bit of a guru, got any sagely advice for this humble novice?

Thanks again one and all. Apologises for the excessive use of smileys, they're still a novelty...........

Cheers
Grant

Btw, had my first scary moment yesterday coming home from rego. Was sitting on about 50 and a big gust of wind hit me from the side and pushed me into the next lane Shocked Luckily it was empty at the time and no harm done, but I reckon the cars following were trying to work out what the hell I was doing! Is this normal? Do TADT? Or is there something I should be concerned about?

68 Notch
95 Ford Fairmont V8
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy

These things get blown around by the wind a bit. My guess is when you get your steering adjusted properly and suspension issues worked out it will be much better though.

Other things to consider doing while you have the car up on stands is New Shocks front and rear, check brake pads (front) and shoes (rear), check steering dampner

One other thing that is normally recommended is to inspect and probably replace ALL fuel lines with quality german wrapped line. They are old, they crack, and can cause a fire.

Welcome,

RMS

Chickengeorge's wife wrote:
bing chow ching fong fang T.J. fang ching dow fong
Josie_Aus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day from another Aussie veedubber!

First of all.. about getting blown around, get used to it!
It can be improved by having making sure all your front end bits are new and/or adjusted properly, but even then they still get blown around!

I was told its because they have the motor in the back, and they're so light in the front!

Things can be improved a bit with wider wheels.. thats what i found with my '71 Notchback anyway.

Oh, and are you a member of aussieveedubbers.com yet?

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/index.php

Its a great forum, much like this one, but for Aussies! So you're more likely to meet some other dubbers from your area!

Have fun!
Jazzy G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

RMS

I heard combis like to lane change without notice (which I can understand with their profile) but I must say I was a bit surprised by the Notch getting all wind swept and interesting Shocked

Re shocks, the cars been sitting for awhile (at least 12 months from what I can gather) so I'm seeing how they go after a bit of driving. After a few weeks, if there still a bit dodgy, I'm going to replace them with some KYB (are they the best bang for buck?). The steering damper looks newish as do the tie rod ends and the pads are also looking ok, so hoepfully no "maintenance" required there.

G'Day Josie,

Hopefully the floatiness and the want to lane swap will lessen when I get the nose down a bit. Once I get Jon's "Zen and the Art of Lowering T3's" I'll be all over it like a seagull on a hot chip. But I guess until then, it's both hands on the steering wheel Very Happy

Re tyres, it's currently running 195/65's but when I lower the front, I'm expecting a little rubbing so I may need to look at rolling the guards or maybe going to a thinner tyre. What do you have on yours?

As for AussieVeeDubbers, I'm there Very Happy That's where I found "El Notcho". I bought it off a local guy. I'm pretty happy with it too, for a 40 year old car, it's in pretty good nick, but I'd imagine like most, it still needs a little lovin'. So, it's nice to have a project that I can use as a daily driver.

Cheers
Grant

68 Notch
95 Ford Fairmont V8
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYB shocks got the knickname "Kick Yer Butt" for a reason! way too stiff... get some stock boge shocks for it! even lowered some, they are the shock to use. oh, and shocks, unless leaking, don't usually wear out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And check the tire pressure. 20psi in the front, and about 28 psi in the rear.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: