Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

It is not often I make a new topic but there is not really all that much info on this part.

So I had my 002 transmission rebuild and as a part of my refresh I also ordered Front Transaxle Mount
Yoke at nose cone of gearbox
Part Reference Number 211599227 from Bus Depot. To my big surprise the part does not fit my mounting bracket.

This is my original mount sitting in the bracket, there is small amount of play

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bracket itself where you can see the actuall shape

And now the new part

You can already tell it will not sit nicely

What is going on here? Is the part garbage? Do I have wrong bracket? Is there difference maybe between 002 and the later tranny? That would not make sense though because all the vendors sell this as 72-79 Bus

Any input is appreciated!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

garbage part unfortunately

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Your alloy strap looks 'odd' to me.
Are you sure your 002 isn't from an earlier bus? (Pre '72?)
EDIT: I suppose just the strap could be from anywhere, so ??? P/N on it?
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Unfortunately I bought the same part for our 79. I had the exact same issue. I ended up putting it back together with our old one.
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Timvw7476 may be onto something. I did some digging and found a site that listed the Mount and in the description it says required a different Mount bracket. It says p/n 211-599-243\/B if you search it comes up with a bracket that appears to be machined to fit the different shape of the mounts that are available. It’s shown here but says not currently available https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/211599243b-retaining-bracket-for-front-gearbox-mount.html
This site lists it in euros but you can order from them here in the u.s. I have ordered from them they were fine.
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/rear-axle-differential/stop-plate-dual-clutch-shaft/21484/
73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet

Last edited by blacka1vw on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

You might be able to get by using a polyurethane marine caulk to fill the voids.

Also its probably not very hard to use your old bracket as a mold and pour yourself a new isolator. Ray Greenwood could recommend a polymer for you.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You might be able to get by using a polyurethane marine caulk to fill the voids.

Also its probably not very hard to use your old bracket as a mold and pour yourself a new isolator. Ray Greenwood could recommend a polymer for you.

Exactly!

Was thinking the same thing urethane...but not a caulk per-se.

There are plenty of urethane casting resins out there. With just a little bit of masking off and set up.....you could literally cast the bushing around the bar....in the bracket.

See what ai can dig up. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
Your alloy strap looks 'odd' to me.
Are you sure your 002 isn't from an earlier bus? (Pre '72?)
EDIT: I suppose just the strap could be from anywhere, so ??? P/N on it?

I was thinking the same, someone in the past could replace it.

I did look around for the part number but literally nothing came up

It is 211.599.243

blacka1vw wrote:
Timvw7476 may be onto something. I did some digging and found a site that listed the Mount and in the description it says required a different Mount bracket. It says p/n 211-599-243\/B if you search it comes up with a bracket that appears to be machined to fit the different shape of the mounts that are available. It’s shown here but says not currently available https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/211599243b-retaining-bracket-for-front-gearbox-mount.html
This site lists it in euros but you can order from them here in the u.s. I have ordered from them they were fine.
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/rear-axle-differential/stop-plate-dual-clutch-shaft/21484/

This! Thanks, this is a proof that there in more than one shape out there. I am little confused by what transmission is this part from what year or even different model?

As for making one...this guys comes up to my mind

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557138

I don't really mind making my one per say, its just that at this point I am running out time. I will need to look around if I can find 'rounded strap' It would be ideal I think.
blacka1vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Little more digging and I found one seems to be available on this side of the pond. https://store.concept1.ca/Transmissiont-Mount-Bracket-T2-211599243B/ And also this bit of info on another site.

73 Bus
79 Bus -Tic Tak
86 Cabriolet
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Always be suspect of the quality of parts for your VW that aren’t made by VW.

From my experience there is nothing better than a good used part made by VW for a VW.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front of transmission metal mounting fork / yoke at nose of gear Reply with quote

Thought I would see if the fiche's had anything to shed on this subject. According to the fiche, the original parts are:

1972 - 1979 mount 211 599 227 (from VIN 212 2000 001)
1972 - 1979 bracket 211 599 243 (from VIN 212 2000 001)

Early versions also used a set of rubber snubbers (insulators) that slid on the horns. Later transmissions did not, and the snubbers won't fit on them either, although the fiche does not reflect that, while experience does.

None of the fiches lists the bracket anymore, and the part number comes from an early bay fiche about 1972 or so. It is possible the later fiche's listed two different part numbers for the bracket. One retail site lists the /B bracket from 1975 to 1979. ETKA has no part numbers on those items.

Another option is to ask Ken Madsen if he has a later used bracket. I do know that that even the two hole nose cone that mounts that style adapter is no longer available even as a reproduction, so that whole area of the bus is getting harder to find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: