Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azimech49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for reading!

I'm currently rebuilding my daily driver EFI 94 bug. (ring snapped, a piston broke and some other stuff). I'm planning to build an engine from scratch as a hobby in about 10 months, but I want to have it up and running as soon as I can, with nothing crazy yet and keep both engines.

It's pretty much stock right now. Only change was replacing the original BERU coil with a MSD Blaster SS to easily replace the electronic ignition module whenever it broke, instead of changing the whole coil + module. Actually saw a performance increase, cleaner spark plugs too.

Given I have to change pistons and heads, I've been thinking it may work great with:
-87mm slip-on piston set
-Empi 98-1325-B Cylinders heads. (close as possible to stock)

Afaik, ECU is able to handle any changes here (up to 1915cc), as long as valve train geometry is untouched.

My problem comes into choosing spark plugs: I'd need 12mm 3/4 reach.
I've used Bosch Super 4 and BP5ES in the past (the latter worked better), but stock head was 14mm 3/4.

Any suggestion into choosing:
-12mm 3/4 spark plugs
-A better cylinder head for an almost stock build and matching plugs.
-Some theory about choosing plugs will be highly appreciated too!!

Keep in mind that beside the fuel delivery, EFI engines are pretty much the same thing, don't refrain to comment if in doubt, any info may be helpful.
Also, I live in Central America, day temperature whole year are around 20ºC-32ºC (70ºF-90ºF). (rarely down to 16ºC when it's the coldest at night). I know it may have some saying in choosing spark plugs, but not sure just yet.

Thank you.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

NGK 5829 also known as DP8EA-9
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

Those EMPI heads as selected. Will cause the engine to feel sluggish.
A better choice would be Tim's Super Stock Heads. 37 x 32 valves.
https://www.performanceworkshop.net/cylinder-heads

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heat range is backwards on NGK to what Bosch is. A 6 is warmer than an 8 and more suitable for a stock engine IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azimech49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
NGK 5829 also known as DP8EA-9

Thanks!

67rustavenger wrote:
Those EMPI heads as selected. Will cause the engine to feel sluggish.
A better choice would be Tim's Super Stock Heads. 37 x 32 valves.
https://www.performanceworkshop.net/cylinder-heads

Why? because of the valve size?

Igpoe wrote:

Heat range is backwards on NGK to what Bosch is. A 6 is warmer than an 8 and more suitable for a stock engine IMO

Thanks! Have you used these? I'll try to consider all options. What would be a proper benchmark between spark plugs?
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

I’ve been told by the beetle guys to only use Bosch Plugs in these cars. Smile . That is what I have in mine and what I will be putting in it when I get it up and running again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

I initially used a #9 NGK, (very cold plug) and if I idled at a stop light for 10 seconds the plugs would foul and it would take a quarter mile to get cleared out again. I'm running an 1835 with about 8.3-1 compression. It accelerates and idles much better with the 6s.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
I initially used a #9 NGK, (very cold plug) and if I idled at a stop light for 10 seconds the plugs would foul and it would take a quarter mile to get cleared out again. I'm running an 1835 with about 8.3-1 compression. It accelerates and idles much better with the 6s.

Did you have a MSD ignition? I did and my 9's never fouled.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

I run points and condenser
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing heads (and plugs) for my rebuild. Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
I’ve been told by the beetle guys to only use Bosch Plugs in these cars. Smile . That is what I have in mine and what I will be putting in it when I get it up and running again.
nothing wrong with NGKs...when vw factory long blocks were still available they came with NGKs...and the last set af bosch w8ac i bought were made in russia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: