Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor misfire
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notrab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Stock 1600 type 1 with stock distributor stopped firing on number 3. When I pull the wire from the cap and hold it an inch or 2 from the cap it starts to run smooth again. It’s getting spark constant to the end of the wire at both ends. Bad cap.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Have you looked at the spark plug yet.
Notrab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

I did the first time it happened. It looked ok then. Both times it happened it was very cold. I determined which cylinder it was and literally took my finger nail to the pickup inside the cap and it worked. This time it didn’t. Will check the plug next. What makes it fire when I make it arc to the cap.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Make sure that the #3 spark plug insulator is screwed into the end of the spark plug wire.
If you pull on the wire and not the insulator when removing the wire from the plug. It can pull the wire out of the insulator.

Look inside the cap for carbon tracks from one lug to another. That can cause the #3 plug not to fire.

I can't explain the reason why the plug will fire when the wire is held 1-2 inches away from the cap.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I can't explain the reason why the plug will fire when the wire is held 1-2 inches away from the cap.

We used to do this to help flooded cars start in the winter. The extra gap increases the voltage the coil will put out & sometimes it's enough to make a fouled plug spark.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Yep, don't shoot the distributor, you've got a fouled spark plug.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Notrab wrote:
When I pull the wire from the cap and hold it an inch or 2 from the cap it starts to run smooth again.

Just to be clear on what you are saying...
    Engine misfiring.
    You remove the #3 plug wire from the distributor cap post.
    As you slowly pull the end of the plug wire away from the distributor cap there is not spark jumping from the cap to the end of the wire.
    As you pull the plug wire further away and reach about 2inch from the post a spark starts jumping that air gap.

As mentioned above, this sounds like a problem with the spark plug. Pull the plug and confirm if it is fouled. Also pull on the top electrode end. Sometimes they separate internally and the tip of the plug will pull out.

Additionally, test the resistance thru each of your plug wires. Generally, all the plug wires should have around the same resistance. Longer suppression wires may have slightly more resistance. Try flexing the wires as you measure the resistance. Sometimes there are internal breaks in the wire that open/close when you move the wires around. If you find these, repair or replace the wires.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with my first bug about 20 years ago. It happened to have a worn lobe in the distributor, so the corresponding plug was not sparking as it should. At first I used to adjust my points according the worn lobe, which more or less worked, but then had issues with the least worn one since point gap was now too big.... I ended using a point-less Pertronix unit and forgot about the issue.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Swap plug to another cylinder and see if the problem follows. You can also do that with the plug wire too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

Stock bakelite SP connectors have resistors in them. Check with a VOM for open or high resistances.
Notrab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor misfire Reply with quote

It was the plug. I have played with VWs for 30 plus years and never ran across that one. Thanks for the accurate input. I learned a lot on this one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: