Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 doors
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busabill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: 1963 doors Reply with quote

Hello all! So I am working on a father-son project and the beetle is a 1963 and it's on a 1969 pan. I am searching for doors, which would be for a 1963. What year am I looking for for doors that will fit a 63? I found doors for a 64 but it looks like it has 4 bolts instead of 3 on the top hinge. Is that correct? Does anyone know which doors will fit a 63? Thanks ahead of time.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 doors Reply with quote

I’ve had a 64 and a 63 bug and thought the hinges were the same. 3 holes one side, 4 the other side of hinge. You can always remove pins and install outer hinge plates if you had to. Some of the big companies sell aftermarket hinge plates and parts. I’d get the 64 doors but would say post 61 (ice pick handles) to late 64 before windows got bigger etc. would work.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 doors Reply with quote

For direct bolt on, doors from 1960 through 1966 will fit though '65/'66 will not have the "correct" size windows for a 1963 model car. You can fit 1956 through 1959 doors if you swap out the door latch mechanism to match your striker plate, or swap the striker plate to match the earlier door latch.

Door hinges are dimensionally the same regardless of whether they're attached with three or four screws, in fact the hinges continued at least for a while with four screw holes despite the body being changed so that there were only three.
Busabill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 doors Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
For direct bolt on, doors from 1960 through 1966 will fit though '65/'66 will not have the "correct" size windows for a 1963 model car. You can fit 1956 through 1959 doors if you swap out the door latch mechanism to match your striker plate, or swap the striker plate to match the earlier door latch.

Door hinges are dimensionally the same regardless of whether they're attached with three or four screws, in fact the hinges continued at least for a while with four screw holes despite the body being changed so that there were only three.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 doors Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: