Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Pads: Foam vs HorseHair?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Seat Pads: Foam vs HorseHair? Reply with quote

I need to replace my seat pads in my 63 beetle w/ low back seats. Should I use Horsehair pads or foam pads?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cswi9367
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAGMAN, use horsehair, its much better. besides it will last much longer, more durable, and give you a much better look. the best way is to lay the horsehair, then apply a 1/2" - 3/4" thick coating of foam on it. apply the foam to the horsehair with spray glue. you should be able to get the foam at any fabric store or hobby lobby type store. it will give you a great tight fit of the new covers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Black58EuroBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have original seatcovers, or original style seat covers, I would absolutely go with the reproduction hair pads from Wolfsburg West.

They fit exactly as original, fill out the seat covers just right and are very comfortable. I used foam padding once, before the hair pads were available. It gave an overstuffed look and was a tad lumpy on the edges. It didn't fit nearly as nice as the original style pads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing bad about horse hair is that it makes a mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfpvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to avaid the mess later on, wrap the hair pad in like a t shirt, at least around the bottom, so it doesn't all fall out. i've also gathered from experience that foam, after time, will begin to smell musty and fairly foul. the hair i believe is what gives the "old vw smell." im not sure if the new hair pads do that, as the old ones do. definitely go with the hair.
radrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going for originality go for the horse hair
If comfort is your thing than go for foam
I have two old vw's one with each
Its just what your going for in a car. custom the way you want it ,or restored the way it would have come originaly.
so the question is what do you want?
BluSpecs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair gives a much better "look" to the seats. I also think that the foam makes the interior look bloated.

A Few tips:

Make sure to put canvas or another thick material over the springs so it sits between the springs and the pad. It will make them last much longer

You also need a set of Hogring pliers and some hog rings. go to ACE to pick them up, the mail order ones are crap.

Heat up the new covers in the sun or carefully use a hair dryer. Your get a better fit that way.

I used to re-upholster simple furnature and re-did the seats in my old '66

I'm no expert but you can give me a call if you get stumped.

Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like I'll go with horsehair. John, I might be calling you up to help me out when I get around to replacing them!
ktwizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it is the horsehair that gives the VW smell. Got to have it.
"There was only one road back to L.A. US Interstate 15, just a flat-out high speed burn through Baker and Barstow and Berdoo. Then on to the Hollywood Freeway straight into frantic oblivion: safety, obscurity. Just another freak in the Freak Kingdom."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
FL_VERT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do horse hair put put in canvas straps it will give the seat extra life and keeps all the hair in...........

Maybe can some can post a picture of the stapping

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used horse hair with 1/2 inch foam wrapped around it... very nice fit.. looks good, not too hard, not too soft. Use horse hair. Always.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: