Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with exhaust selection
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gifdy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

Hello,

I need some assistance in selecting a replacement exhaust for my Ghia. It's a 1966 model but doesn't have the original engine.

I believe the engine is 1835cc and is fitted with twin SOLEX H40 carbs. I've been told the current exhaust is for a 1600cc and is likely to be a bit restrictive - the car certainly feels a bit gutless. It's also a bit loud for my tastes. The current exhaust has no heat exchangers, it's twin pipe and looks like one piece (integrated J tubes ).

I'm looking for something that's bit quieter but is suitable for the 1835cc. I'm not that familiar with these engines so have no idea about power levels it should be giving. Any suggestions for a suitable exhaust ? I'm UK based, if it makes any difference.

Thanks
gatordub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

Depending on the budget I would look at Vintage Speed exhaust.
https://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/
They have a wide range of loud to stock sounding exhaust but they all are high quality and relatively free flowing.
If your current set up has an integrated header you would need to get a set of heat exchangers or J tubes.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

Yes agree about Vintage Speed exhausts. I have a "Super Flow" model for my supercharged 1385cc KG.

sputnic60 has one of these that tucks away under the rear apron. They were designed for lowered cars but work equally well on stock height.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ac251852-vi...eetle.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

Vintage speed is the way to go. Closest to stock fit you can get on a performance muffler. Stay away from the quiet packer (misnomer) or sidewinder set ups, they are loud and the side wider is a stupid design that requires removing the muffler to adjust valves.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
gifdy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been looking at the EMPI big bore quiet pack thinking it would be reasonably free flowing but not too loud. I assumed being called 'quiet pack' , it would be quiet !

I'll take a look at Vintage Speed.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

gifdy wrote:
I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been looking at the EMPI big bore quiet pack thinking it would be reasonably free flowing but not too loud. I assumed being called 'quiet pack' , it would be quiet !

I'll take a look at Vintage Speed.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "quiet VW air-cooled exhaust", but...

I have a Vintage Speed "quiet" exhaust on my '68 Ghia. It's not "quiet". The difference between that exhaust and the standard model is in the tone. I think in decibels the sound is much the same, but it is lower (by an octave or so on the music scale), so you hear the engine as a drone rather than a whine. My experience anyway.

The quality of the VS model is very, very good. Hence the price, I suppose.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Yes agree about Vintage Speed exhausts. I have a "Super Flow" model for my supercharged 1385cc KG.

sputnic60 has one of these that tucks away under the rear apron. They were designed for lowered cars but work equally well on stock height.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ac251852-vi...eetle.html

Yes indeed, and it looks like this…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m okay with the noise level at urban speeds but at highway speed, particularly for long runs I have to use some ear protection. A cabriolet offers no barrier to sound. It would be different for a coupe where the sound would be attenuated by the roof and rear glass and most noise would come through the rear firewall. You can adjust the level by raising the rear seat in a coupe , but that’s no help in a cabrio. Very Happy

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

Vintage Speed with the "extra" quiet option on a 1915cc. The customer is happy with it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

I have a CSP "High Flow" on my 57 ghia with a 110HP 1835cc.
CSP says that the exhaust will only work with engines up to 90hp, I doubt that, It works great on my engine, no different from my older exhausts(big ones with big mufflers), this one is pretty quiet.

I have a Vintage Speed on my bus, thats allso great, just wanted to try something different on my ghia.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/csp-high-flow-exhaust-251-001-030hf-30494a.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gifdy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help with exhaust selection Reply with quote

Now that 'extra quiet' option is interesting. What exactly is that ?

My local supplier has available :

'Sports'
'Super Flow'
'Classic'
'Superflow Type4->Type 1 130mm'
'Classic Line Lowered'

The sports says it is good up to 125bhp & the Superflow up to 150bhp, both of these have attached tail pipes. The classic needs tailpipes but doesn't say what it's rated for. I assume the Classic line lowered is the one in the pictures above.

Are any of these the extra quiet option ?

Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: