Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

#2 main bearing half alignment question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

I’m in the process of trying to check oil clearances on my main bearings for a stock engine build. I have a brand new AS41 case and a set of Silverline bearings and my #2 is sitting weirdly in the case. One bearing half is more or less centered in the saddle but the other half is pushed towards #3 and the two bearing halves don’t line up perfectly. #2 bore is not out of round.

The bearing half that has me worried is the one on the left in the pic below which I took while looking through the #1 main.

Is this normal? Is the hole in the bearing for the pin in the wrong place? What to do?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes

Last edited by D/A/N on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing seating question Reply with quote

The dowel pin is much smaller than the hole in back of the bearing...slide the bearing over in the saddle so that they even
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing seating question Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
The dowel pin is much smaller than the hole in back of the bearing...slide the bearing over in the saddle so that they even

Ok. I pulled that bearing half as far back towards the #1 main as I could and even though it’s better, the two halves are still misaligned with the left half still slightly shifted towards the #3 main. Pic below.

Is the goal to just slide both halves around on their respective pins until they’re even? I’ve never heard of this before though it’s also my first engine build and maybe it’s something you pros think of as second nature.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

The grind marks on the end of the case. We’re they ground down to set your thrust? Maybe they took more off the one side?
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
The grind marks on the end of the case. We’re they ground down to set your thrust? Maybe they took more off the one side?

It’s a brand new case from the factory, never used. Maybe it’s something weird from manufacturing?

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
67 Sunroof wrote:

It’s a brand new case from the factory, never used. Maybe it’s something weird from manufacturing?

To me it looks like a clean up after casting the case.
I'll bet they all have that same machining around the bearing saddles.

Disclaimer: I have never had a new case in hand. So I'm speculating. Surprised

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
D/A/N wrote:
67 Sunroof wrote:

To me it looks like a clean up after casting the case.
I'll bet they all have that same machining around the bearing saddles.

Disclaimer: I have never had a new case in hand. So I'm speculating. Surprised

Well, I hope you’re right because I’d be pissed if the case was screwed right out of the gate. This shit ain’t cheap!!

The case halves are in alignment when I torque it up without bearings but once I put the bearings in, they look like what you see in the pics. I’ve got another set coming tomorrow that I can try with. I can also try the ones I have without the pins to see if I can get them aligned better.

Anything else I should do or look at?

D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

I had another bearing laying around and it does the same damn thing when installed. Here are pics of the case halves.

These first 2 are of the problematic side with the bearing located on the pin.

The next 3 are of the other side. It looks good though the bearing got scratched in shipping and I’m not planning on using it. And sorry for the blood. I cut myself splitting the case.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

Bleeding is the penance for the home mechanic. We all do it!

Pull the bearing shells and measure the distance from the saddle edge to the pin on both side of the case and see if there's a difference.
Somethings looks fishy.

And don't modify the case. At least if you bought it from a reputable vendor.
You may have to return it.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

The bearings need to be aligned to the crankshaft, not the case, not each other. Maybe it is close enough, maybe it isn't.
usually there is enough wiggle room the bearing could've shifted .015 one way or another and still work fine and you'd never know the difference.

You all are a bunch of noobs. Razz Forgetting the crankshaft
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

I had 2 sets of main bearings do the same thing for the center main on my type 4. It’s a little more pronounced on your case. I kind of wiggled them around as I torqued the case but and I guess it made me feel better when measuring to have them more aligned, but I won’t be able to see it when the crank is in.

You could try deburring the ends of the bearing legs where they touch with a few strokes on some 800 grit wet dry on a flat surface.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

maybe a bit harsh but it strikes me as funny.

some tolerances are tighter than others.
1-the bearings being located on the bearing journal of the crank is the most important, usually there is a lot of wiggle room, but it depends on the crank.
2-the location of the left and right bearing halves relative to eachother is less important..... tho I'll agree it does start to look very fishy if they are off opposite directions.
3-the location of the main web is even lower priority. Wopuld be nice if they were perfect but often the machining or casting is very crude. Seems to not be a big deal tho. Cummins b engines the bearings actually hang out the sides of the bearing caps, and it works so well sometimes I wonder if it might be intentional.

Last edited by modok on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The bearings need to be aligned to the crankshaft, not the case, not each other. Maybe it is close enough, maybe it isn't.
usually there is enough wiggle room the bearing could've shifted .015 one way or another and still work fine and you'd never know the difference.

You all are a bunch of noobs. Razz Forgetting the crankshaft

I am a noob with this stuff....that’s why I sent you my 1904 for work! Speaking of which..........you check you PM’s anymore?

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

Sorry i'm procrastinating apparently
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I had 2 sets of main bearings do the same thing for the center main on my type 4. It’s a little more pronounced on your case. I kind of wiggled them around as I torqued the case but and I guess it made me feel better when measuring to have them more aligned, but I won’t be able to see it when the crank is in.

You could try deburring the ends of the bearing legs where they touch with a few strokes on some 800 grit wet dry on a flat surface.

Like I said, this is my first build ever. In my head, if the bearing halves aren’t aligned then the oil groove around the outside of the bearing isn’t aligned and that sounds like it shouldn’t be so. But I don’t know what to think. It sounds like your engine is alive and well though!

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

Between the two halves you should be able to get them inline and riding on the crank properly.

You may have to move one slight forward and the other back. Then check alignment on crank and then see how the crank spins with the case halves torqued down

The machine work/casting on your case is pretty ugly though...doesn’t really mean anything

Last edited by txoval on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Like I said, this is my first build ever. In my head, if the bearing halves aren’t aligned then the oil groove around the outside of the bearing isn’t aligned and that sounds like it shouldn’t be so. But I don’t know what to think. It sounds like your engine is alive and well though!

I used persian blue layout die last time to double check oil hole to groove alignment. Think I’ve used sharpie as well. Coat Saddle, set bearing in and remove. You’ll see the groove to oil oil alignment.

As said above as long as the crank lines up you’re good.

I don’t have both halves of my center bearings anymore to compare to my last new case but I remember mine weren’t perfect in regards to the case alignment. I had to use a burr grinder on the bearing to put a little divot so oil gets to the groove better. I did this on the bearing.. always modify cheapest parts. Iirc I had one that half the hole in the case was outside the oil groove.

I saw a video on YouTube once. I think VW Darren.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Don’t feel bad, I asked someone else this question awhile back and got just about the same answer. I notice things now that I didn’t before. Sometimes it actually matters. Other times...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

it is a good quesion, how far off is aceptable? you can stump the experts with that. Bearings not being perfectly aligned and oil passages that halfway line up are pretty common, but rarely cause a real problem.
The only big problem I've seen blow stuff up is if the rod bearing does not cover the oil hole.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: #2 main bearing half alignment question Reply with quote

Well, I put the bearings on the crank, put it in the case, torqued it up and spun it around. After pulling it apart and looking at everything, it’s pretty clear that the journal is wider than the bearing and that other than the fact that I don’t like that the bearing halves don’t line up perfectly and the oil passageway is ever so slightly off from side to side, I don’t think there will be a problem. Unless I’m missing something. What would be the fix for that anyway? Not for me missing something but for the misalignment.

Also missed something in another way..........

Of course there’s tons of endplay on account of the shortblock not all being assembled and the counterweight rubs the case at #2 when the crank is pushed all the way towards the pulley end of the case. When I pulled the case halves apart, it looked like a small flake of magnesium alloy was resting on the oiling hole of the #2 journal. The #2 bearing, however, was scored on each half. Below is the worst of it. Thankfully, the crank is fine. Normally I don’t have that kind of luck. Not sure how I dodged that bullet but I’m glad I didn’t scratch the crank Shocked

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: