Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SSC Late Trans - Two Types
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

Asking a lot today.... I know.

I hear there's two single side cover transmission cases: one with a round boss around the drain plug, and one with a rectangular raised area around the drain plug, unlike any other trans. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't been able to find a pic. The rectangular one is supposed to be a sure-fire 3.88 r&p, with the best even gear spread (opinion).
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

yes there are 2 types and they both have the same ratios and 3.88, at least the ones i have seen 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, 0.93
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

This one is supposed to be the strongest SSC case.

Internally likely the same as any other but I’m no expert.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

I’m sure either could be 3.88 or 4.12. The only true shortcut is to count the rotations in 2nd gear.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

Thanks! Been looking for that pic!
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

The "offset rib" trans represents the latest model box.
Same ratios as the regular SSC box (3.78/2.06/1.26/.82).
AT code for 3.88rp.

The one big difference is the use of the Aluminum "dual rib" side cover. It's way stronger than other Magnesium side covers.

While the offset rib box has better strength around the oil hole, and the "rib" is close to the opening, they can still be cracked like any box.
They are supposed to be stronger, but I have not really found that to be true.

Now, if you were to weld a gusset on the offset rib box, that would be very strong.

I blew one up in 10 passes on my 300hp drag car.

Went back to the normal SSC case and she held up for many years.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

Here is the sticky that explains it. The 75 & later SSC cases are often called Z case. They are what you are asking about. There is nothing different inside then what was used in the earlier 73-74 SSC cases.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

pupjoint wrote:
yes there are 2 types and they both have the same ratios and 3.88, at least the ones i have seen 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, 0.93

Sorry but that is not true. You have to look at the code to see what you got
"AT" SSC Bugs were 3.88 with .93 4th gear.
"AN" SSC Ghia were 3.88 with .89 4th gear. These were the tallest gear ratio.
"AV" SSC Thing were 4.12 with .93 4th gear.
"DC" SSC Type III were 4.12 with .89 4th gear
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

Score! I had a 50% chance of getting a 3.88! Using it for road racing, so not overly concerned with shock loads.

QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

Does all this apply to type 3 as well??
I've got a SSC in my 73 squareback and have been wondering about it.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Score! I had a 50% chance of getting a 3.88! Using it for road racing, so not overly concerned with shock loads.

i am very sure it has the 3.88. being in the US, i would send it to a transmission shop to get it gone thru and "upgraded" or maybe an ATB or LSD
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Does all this apply to type 3 as well??
I've got a SSC in my 73 squareback and have been wondering about it.
No, A Type 3 never got the later zig-zag case because Type 3 production ended in 73, 2 years before the late case appeared in mid 75.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SSC Late Trans - Two Types Reply with quote

Thought that big ass funnel looked familiar, that's my trans Laughing thanks for the reminder I have to rebuild that one for my bug Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: